Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Little things that upset you in commercials?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Little things that upset you in commercials?
    Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 12:47am
The Colonial Penn commercial with Larry and his cousins at his wife's after funeral gathering. The light skinned cousin begins talking about how her dark skinned cousin should sign up for Colonial Penn Life Insurancee. Dark cousin asks if there is a plan that will fit her budget. It's quick, but she reacts in happy surprise before her cousin even tells her that there is a plan that will fit her budget. That upset me a little. You'd think the filming crew would check little things like that before putting them on TV.

Sponsored Links

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 11:33pm
These commercials are so hoaky they are a spoof waiting to happen. Talk about over the top bad acting. I wonder if the actors in the commercial have to take drugs to keep from losing it laughing?
I approve this message.
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 1:02am
Bad singing, ruining good songs.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 1:13am
Terrible whiny jingles, that aren't catchy and stink.

Repetition

Stupid, idiotic, juvenile humor

Bad remakes of great songs

Christmas ads that air way too early
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 2:16am
Hashtags and smartphones in commercials that don't belong in them.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 2:46am
Originally posted by !Tommy !Tommy wrote:

Absolutely 100% agreed
Ken 1802 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 2:56am
ConfusedI can't find the Colonial Penn commercial I was talking about, but this other Colonial Penn commercial has little buggy things in it as well.  Just look at it, and tell me you can't find at least 5 things off-kilter in this commercial....Confused

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 3:00am
Their existence.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 3:42am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Absolutely 100% agreed

Glad you agree! I mean...why in the world would you have a smartphone in a commercial that advertises clothing....or carpeting...or pizza...or college? A smartphone is a product in itself, so why does it have to be in commercials that doesn't advertise them?
Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 3:43am
"Hi Joan..I sure was sorry to hear about your mom...how are things going?"
"Better since we received that insurance check from Colonial Penn...now, if only we could figure out just how that banana peel wound up at the top of the staircase!"
Braaaandy Aaaaalexaaaaaander!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 3:52am
Originally posted by Whitedog127 Whitedog127 wrote:

"Hi Joan..I sure was sorry to hear about your mom...how are things going?"
"Better since we received that insurance check from Colonial Penn...now, if only we could figure out just how that banana peel wound up at the top of the staircase!"

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 4:19am

Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Absolutely 100% agreed

Glad you agree! I mean...why in the world would you have a smartphone in a commercial that advertises clothing....or carpeting...or pizza...or college? A smartphone is a product in itself, so why does it have to be in commercials that doesn't advertise them?
Well, the are kind of a staple of modern society.

And if you want to go that route.

No one should wear clothes in commercials, because that's a product.

Food commercials shouldn't have bowls or furniture or appliances, or anything else because those are all separate products. :P

I mean, if you did that, every commercial would be nothing but the item itself with some nude person talking about it.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 5:18am
I would question the legality of not wearing clothes on TV. LOL

But really, it would be like showing a Nintendo game on a commercial that advertises body wash. The two just don't mix. As for it being a 'staple' in modern society, it's mainly because people like being sheep. Microwaves make our lives easier and you don't see people flashing them all over the place or talking about them 24/7.
Ken 1802 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 5:40am
Here, I will give an answer to my own question.  Evelyn looks more upset that Ann's mom is dead, than Ann does herself.....  Anyone wanna fill out the other four?
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Ken 1802 Ken 1802 wrote:

Here, I will give an answer to my own question.  Evelyn looks more upset that Ann's mom is dead, than Ann does herself.....  Anyone wanna fill out the other four?

What gets me about all those commercials is the lack of emotion by the characters. I mean..sure, they're actors. But if you're gonna sell this crap, then sell it to us! Like the one where the dad or something falls off the ladder. She's like "Oh, he just fell off the ladder...but he's okay. Smile" I mean...I'd be pretty f**king upset if I was in that situation. Falling off ladders are dangerous and there was almost no emotion at all and then all of a sudden out of thin air they talk about whatever it is...something like Life Alert or in that category. I just don't buy into those commercials.
Ken 1802 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 6:56am

Tommy, they probably don't show much realistic emotion because they know their loved ones aren't really in danger, but I remember a PSA where there is a picture of a smiling family(two parents and two kids), and the picture suddenly morphs into a live-action shot of the same family looking miserable, watching their house burn.  The PSA was what damage one match can do to a home.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Ken 1802 Ken 1802 wrote:

ConfusedI can't find the Colonial Penn commercial I was talking about, but this other Colonial Penn commercial has little buggy things in it as well.  Just look at it, and tell me you can't find at least 5 things off-kilter in this commercial....Confused

I've written here about this one before.  I noted how the white woman is surprised that the check she's "been waiting for" has arrived.  If she's been waiting for it, she would be expecting it, not surprised that it's arrived.

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 3:58pm
Excellent points from all of you! I agree 100%. Regarding acting; I remember my high school drama teacher drilled into us that you'd better be damned good to go what would now be emo emotional. Otherwise you are coming off as an overacting ham. Again, I wonder how the actors keep from losing it (laughing their asses off). And yes Christmas sh*t comes way too early. I've seen Christmas displays as early as September in some stores in the Baltimore area. And we still have hot humid weather where the a/c is a kicking and the girls are still showing skin. Not to be into more regulation but, if I was King or leader I'd enforce a law stating that you can't have Christmas commercials till 0800 on Black Friday that includes banning those marathon buzz kill Thanksgiving store openings keeping people from their friends and loved ones. All I can say is:

HELP I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP!
I approve this message.
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 11:54pm
I feel like I'm the only one who ever hears a lot of them saying HELL instead of HELP. :o
SMASHYOURTV999 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SMASHYOURTV999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:49am
To get back on topic
Small Things That Upset Me In Commercials:

-LOUD and numerous mouse clicks
-LOUD computer keys clacking. A laptop isn't supposed to sound like a 50's typewriter.
-The exaggerated way the hand models finger swipes between screens on smartphones and tablets.
-LOUD finger tapping on phones and tablets by hand model.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMASHYOURTV999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:58am
Oh yeah, one more:

Halloween themed commercials have the laziest writing of any holiday ads.

"Deals so good, they're SCARY!"
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMASHYOURTV999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 7:35am
When random people pass the same object thru different settings and situations. Sometimes the object morphs after its passed, like in the new, supremely terrible Target XMAS ads.
(Oops, I mean the Target holiday ads)
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 8:03am
Originally posted by SMASHYOURTV999 SMASHYOURTV999 wrote:

When random people pass the same object thru different settings and situations. Sometimes the object morphs after its passed, like in the new, supremely terrible Target XMAS ads.
(Oops, I mean the Target holiday ads)

As they say, the devil is in the details. And if there is a Satan than this Target Christmas commercial is his/her creation of pure evil misery. This is the worst commercial of 2013 and I want to drive this message across.
I approve this message.
MrFlavor View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrFlavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 2:59pm
There's an AARP insurance ad where the action is all taking place at a gas station and the various people are milling about doing gas station stuff. They occasionally react to the voice over which results in one guy sort of pausing and saying "Did you say lawn care?" then turning and wandering off without getting a response. He looks like he's having a senility attack. It's really odd.

^^this dude right here^^
Ken 1802 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 10:08am
Mr. Flavor, the guy who asks, "Did you say lawn care?"  Turned because he was mulling about getting the AARP insurance.  He was not wandering off. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic