Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PBS: An oasis....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PBS: An oasis....
    Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 9:00pm
....in a desert full of sh*t!

A little while ago I watched Side by Side about how digital was revolutionizing the film industry. Next, I watched American Wood-shop where you learn wood working. Cool stuff! No commercials no reality shows, what's not to like?

Hooray for PBS!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

kortni_thegreat View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kortni_thegreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 1:07pm
Also PBS has Downton Abbey, 'nuff said. PBS does produce quality programming which is why I don't mind donating them every now and then. Their app is also great.
"I'll take your breath away."
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 4:53pm
I liked their documentary "The March"--about the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s March on Washington.
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 5:20pm
All I watch is PBS.  The cooking shows on the weekend are the best. (Never get tired of Julia Child)  This American Life is good too.  
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 7:15pm
We have been going commercial free alot the past few days. Seeing some of the same old ads over, and over, and over just stresses me out. I'm yelling..  Fk you Flo!, go away Geico!  Its good to take a break.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 1:29am
I like PBS for a lot of things: Masterpiece Mystery, Newshour, Charlie Rose, POV, Antiques Roadshow, etc.

But I hate one thing about it: Pledge week(s). In my area it's always weeks.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 2:01am
I couldn't live without PBS.

I am fortunate enough to live in an area with not one, nor two, but three local PBS stations.

Two are sponsored by local state (former "community") colleges & the main "official" one that is an actual PBS affiliate, is sponsored by UCF.

I love them & the word "oasis" is an apt description if ever there was one.

The fact that Republicans keep trying to defund them is just another reason why I hate them.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 2:01am
Dammit it's Monday night and I forgot to tune in for Antiques Roadshow.

But, we usually watch educational(ish!) shows on cable: Right now, something about planets in deep space. I can't get enough of these shows about the universe, bonus points for Through the Wormhole.

This one is How the Universe Works, and while great, the sound effects are irritating. Too much dramatic, swelling music and whhhHHHOOOOSHHHHHH!!!es.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 2:18am
Do you get The Stargazer on your PBS station?

I just watched one 15 or 20 minutes ago.

They're very informative, but nowhere near as good as when Jack Horkheimer was still alive.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

Too much dramatic, swelling music and whhhHHHOOOOSHHHHHH!!!es.

That's what makes The Voice so irritating!  To think we lost the second hour of The Biggest Loser to THIS! Angry
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 3:54am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Do you get The Stargazer on your PBS station?

I just watched one 15 or 20 minutes ago.

They're very informative, but nowhere near as good as when Jack Horkheimer was still alive.

I loved it, but stpped watching after he passed.

Though, I do still sort of zone out and just revel in the beauty of that theme music from time to time.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 5:22am
I don't like the new theme music myself.

I don't really like the new hosts much either.

They're boring & nerdy.

Jack was cool.

And I liked his theme "music" if you could call it that.

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 5:25am
I haven't seen the new theme. Our channel has sort of been recycling his old ones rather than using the new people.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 5:34am
You're not missing much.

There's been two & now three hosts & they're all like dorky science teachers.

AAMOF, the newest one is a Hispanic chick who is a high school science teacher.

The other two are planetarium directors or something, but they're all pretty young & lacking in personality.

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 6:14pm
That guy looks like a skinny version of Al Roker....

that's not racist, is it? Ah, who gives a f**k.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

LOL LMFAO - hhich is difficult in this deathly quiet dungeon I work in.

Yeah, I'm reading CIH at work - what of it? LOL
The artist formerly known as Madawee

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 8:14pm

Hard to know for sure how much he resembles Roker ... you can't tell from that picture whether or not he has a brown stain on the back of his pants.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Hard to know for sure how much he resembles Roker ... you can't tell from that picture whether or not he has a brown stain on the back of his pants.

Oh F**KSTIX - I had almost forgotten that "I pooped my pants in the White House" story and now it's all fresh in my mind again. Blech. Dead
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 3:09am
To bleach that memory away. A few days ago I saw a special on studying the brains of people involved in a criminal trial with Alan Alda! I forgot what it was called. It was facsinating stuff though.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 3:53am
It was called Brains On Trial.

http://brainsontrial.com/

I didn't watch it.

C'mon, man!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 4:07am
Ah, yes that's the one!

Thanks!
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 10:17pm
I still remember a parody thing PBS did mocking reality shows. Two clam diggers fighting with each other and just in general acting like typical reality TV chimps. LOL
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I still remember a parody thing PBS did mocking reality shows. Two clam diggers fighting with each other and just in general acting like typical reality TV chimps. LOL

They also did "Meet the Tanners" and "Long-Island Landscapers"!
robertduensing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertduensing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 12:59am
I was wondering who would be the first to reference that incident at the White House. LOL!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic