Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Frost, RIP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Frost, RIP
    Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 2:48pm

David Frost, the TV and radio broadcaster, died of a probable heart attack yesterday at the age of 74, right in the middle of a speech he was giving aboard the Queen Elizabeth.

I first knew of him because of his evening talk show (The David Frost Show) which began in 1969 and lasted a few years.  My folks watched him, so I did, too.  I see that his first guests on that show included Prince Charles and The Rolling Stones.

I was pretty surprised to find out he was only 74.  I knew that his career predated his American TV show by quite a few years, so I figured he had to be in his 80s.  But he started young, apparently.  Seems he started hosting TV shows at the age of 23 in 1962, which made him barely 30 when he'd gotten his talk show in the US.  But he was highly respected and, even at his young age, he got to interview many of the most notable world leaders, celebs and musicians of the era.

RIP, Sir David.

Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 3:17pm
He created a show called, "That Was the Week That Was" in England, then it aired on NBC in the mid-sixties.  I was just a young teen, but I remember it well.  It was really edgy comedy for the time.

RIP David.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 3:37pm

I can't even imagine adolescents watching such shows today.  Nowadays, "edgy comedy" is Tosh.0 showing a video of a skateboarder dropping a load on the road (which, I've gotta admit, was f*ckin' hilarious).

There's something to be said for the limited access to entertainment we had back then.  Just like AM radio in the 50s and 60s forced us to listen to music we, otherwise, may never have, TV of the era had us all watching a lot of the same stuff as our parents watched.  Entertainment was much more unifying back then.  I remember "everybody" watching such-and-such a show, and listening to a lot of the same music back then.

Maybe Grand Theft Auto and American Idol serve that same purpose today.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 4:21pm
That news really frosts me.

RIP Mr. Frost.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 5:51pm
ConfusedRIP, Mr. Frost...I remember often switching the channel whenever I saw your face- nothing personal, it was always the broadcasters' fault for putting something else on T.V. (which I wanted to see just a little bit more) at the same time as You - like, say, maybe 'Petticoat Junction' or 'Hawaii Five-O', but not 'Lawrence Welk'.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 5:57pm
^Definitely Lawrence Welk.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

Definitely Lawrence Welk here too -- all of the bubbles and accordions. LOL

I've never heard of David Frost; but rest in peace because a lot of other people have apparently heard of (and watched) you. Star

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 2:11am
I only knew about Frost when the movie Frost/Nixon came out! I might of saw some documentaries about the interview, none of that effected my life though. To me it was in the past. Historically it was important but it was something in the past!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 2:34am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I only knew about Frost when the movie Frost/Nixon came out! I might of saw some documentaries about the interview, none of that effected my life though. To me it was in the past. Historically it was important but it was something in the past!
ConfusedOf course it was in the past - and yes, historically important.
History is extraodinarily important.
Those that do not learn from history may very well be doomed to repeat it.
"The More You Know..."
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Tampon Submarine Tampon Submarine wrote:

Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

Definitely Lawrence Welk here too -- all of the bubbles and accordions. 

And Anacani...the Lennon Sisters

Come now, how could any guy not watch? a veritable bevy of hot babes in skimpy outfits.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 3:59am

^  She's not just "Anacani".  Angry

She's Lawrence's "lovely Mexican senorita, Anacani".

And she is lovely.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 4:05am

And then there was that one whiny screechy woman no one liked...what was her name?

Feeney.

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 4:16am

Quite the Mexican sparkler, that Anacani.

Here's the Lawrence Welk Orchestra covering a Velvet Underground song.

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:18am
The Chantays performed Pipeline on his show in 1963:

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:34am

Never saw that episode, tim.  That's about as rockin' as the Welk show ever got.

Apparently, though, Lawrence was so impressed with the song that he covered it himself.  It's Welkified, but not too bad!

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:57am
And then there's Tokin'. :P
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 5:06am

^  Oh, yeah.  I know what you're talking about.  I posted that one in another thread.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 5:16am
Growing up in (near actually) Cocoa Beach, Florida in the 70's, we used to go to a lot of midnight surfing movies at place called the "Surfside Playhouse".

I've heard the song "Pipeline" countless times, but it was always with visual footage similar to...

Really, the only way to hear that song.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 1:03pm
So sad! David Frost was always good on chat shows in the UK. A very dignified chap.
One man gathers what another man spills
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 4:09am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  Oh, yeah.  I know what you're talking about.  I posted that one in another thread.

They called it a "modern spiritual."  Probably because Jesus was mentioned in the song.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic