Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Applebee's - One App Two Entrees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applebee's - One App Two Entrees
    Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 2:15am

You might wonder why this commercial irks me so bad. Well, that could possibly stem from my hatred of the word 'App'. Really, now we can't even say appetizers? Those are Apps too?! What the f**k is with that god damn word already?! I mean, it was bad enough when it plagued smartphones and programs are now called Apps, but now we're going to confuse people and call appetizers 'Apps' too? I think my hatred really stems from the stupid saying "There's an App for that." And now that the word or abbreviation stuck, it's just annoying to hear now. But honestly, there could be some confusion now. App stands for application, computer program, now appetizers. How will people know what it's suppose to really mean now? Stop being lazy and just use the full word already!
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 2:37am
Ugh, so sick of Chris Berman, I don't need to click on the video, I just see his face and I know it's going to be a horrible commercial!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 2:40am

I remember once going into Boston Market and looking up at the menu behind the counter and seeing the word "Sides".  I didn't know what it meant at first.  I figured out quickly enough that it meant "Side Orders", but I just wasn't used to seeing it emblazoned officially on a menu, using the folksy and colloquial "Sides".  Was there really a need to change it?

Seeing the dumbed-down "App" for "appetizer", makes me want them to change it to "Hors d'oeuvres"...just to mess with people.

!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 2:58am
It's just kind of stupid because I don't see a reason for it. I think the problem is that so many people are so overly obsessed with that abbreviation and the think it sounds cool or something. Maybe I just have a little bit of class or something where I don't have to use dumb, current trend words that don't make sense. I prefer to use the English language, not made up slang words. I wonder what else will become an 'App' in due time.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 3:14am

I'm surprised they're not calling them "App Apps"---as in Applebee's Appetizers.

!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 3:17am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm surprised they're not calling them "App Apps"---as in Applebee's Appetizers.

LOL but then I'd probably go Angry if they did
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 3:41am
...or Apple D Apps

I have no idea where it's from it is from it just popped into my head!

Oh it's that rapper from the Black Eyed Peas duuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrr!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Autumn View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Autumn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 6:03am
Oh geeze, I have all kinds of hatred for shortened words trying to sound cute or trendy. Vacay for vacation, rents for parents, lappy for laptop, etc. Usually I can't pay attention to whatever I'm reading/listening to when I hear something like that because I'm too busy being irked by the cutesy abbreviation. 
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 6:17am
It isn't cute, not a bit. Never heard vacay before but I've heard lappy and I think it's kind of stupid. Apps for some reason just irks me the worst because it's just one word that caught on and hasn't died at all. I mean...even PC programs are now being refereed to as Apps. Come on people, just drop that word already! We don't need to be a trendy society with sheep everywhere you turn. D:<
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 6:29am
Originally posted by !Tommy !Tommy wrote:

It's just kind of stupid because I don't see a reason for it. I think the problem is that so many people are so overly obsessed with that abbreviation and the think it sounds cool or something. Maybe I just have a little bit of class or something where I don't have to use dumb, current trend words that don't make sense. I prefer to use the English language, not made up slang words. I wonder what else will become an 'App' in due time.  (Bold emphasis added.)

ClapClapClap

I could not have said it better myself.  I just caught this Applebee's App & Entree ad on TV and thought the same thing as all you posters here.  Now an appetizer is an "App"?  Between this and Hashtag Hell (see or hear any current Honda commercial) I am "so over, like, you know, using cutesy trendsetting wordies to spice up my everyday slanguage."  Enough already!!!
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 6:38am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

It's just kind of stupid because I don't see a reason for it. I think the problem is that so many people are so overly obsessed with that abbreviation and the think it sounds cool or something. Maybe I just have a little bit of class or something where I don't have to use dumb, current trend words that don't make sense. I prefer to use the English language, not made up slang words. I wonder what else will become an 'App' in due time.  (Bold emphasis added.)

ClapClapClap

I could not have said it better myself.  I just caught this Applebee's App & Entree ad on TV and thought the same thing as all you posters here.  Now an appetizer is an "App"?  Between this and Hashtag Hell (see or hear any current Honda commercial) I am "so over, like, you know, using cutesy trendsetting wordies to spice up my everyday slanguage."  Enough already!!!

And that earns you several clapping smilies as well!!

ClapClapClapClapClap

There was a time in history when people care about the way they spoke. I don't want to sound as if I'm perfect or a bit smug, but there's no reason why society has to be getting this stupid. I even heard there were people who wanted to change the English language and so speaking like this was acceptable. Thank God someone with brains put their foot down and said no. I think this is exactly why I'm so frustrated with smartphones, because it seems this sort of stuff picked up as soon as these things became popular. Maybe not, but to me it seems so.

Hashtag hell, that's too funny XD But it really is hell, I'm so sick of hashtags all over everything now. It just complicates things too much for me. What's worse is I'm a computer expert but I've drawn the line and now I'm almost abandoning my field just because of this hell going on today. I liked things better when they were simple and not all this technical crap turning people into mindless zombies.
Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Autumn Autumn wrote:

Oh geeze, I have all kinds of hatred for shortened words trying to sound cute or trendy. Vacay for vacation, rents for parents, lappy for laptop, etc. Usually I can't pay attention to whatever I'm reading/listening to when I hear something like that because I'm too busy being irked by the cutesy abbreviation. 

The one that made me grind my teeth was addy in place of address..as in 'let me get your email addy'. From zero to full on rage in a nanosecond!! I don't hear it much anymore, for which I am profoundly grateful.
Braaaandy Aaaaalexaaaaaander!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 5:13pm
I think the abbreviations are a result of the text/twitter culture. I can't imagine these idiots saying "email addy" as opposed to "addy". I don't think they would be asking for your street address!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 5:30pm

Applebee's = 'expensive McDonald's with a liquor license'Sick, yet their commercials are worse. 

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Autumn View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 5:44pm
Oooh it just occurred to me, my least favorite term I see all the time now is "Selfie". I can't even explain exactly why I hate it so much but I always want to punch whoever says it. Even if they are my friends. 
Autumn View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Whitedog127 Whitedog127 wrote:

The one that made me grind my teeth was addy in place of address..as in 'let me get your email addy'. From zero to full on rage in a nanosecond!! I don't hear it much anymore, for which I am profoundly grateful.
Oooh you know, you are right! I haven't heard that one nearly as much lately, thank God. I never got that one either, you're taking a two syllabus word and making it into another...two syllable word. I think people who said that thought they were trendy or cute or something.
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I remember once going into Boston Market and looking up at the menu behind the counter and seeing the word "Sides".  I didn't know what it meant at first.  I figured out quickly enough that it meant "Side Orders", but I just wasn't used to seeing it emblazoned officially on a menu, using the folksy and colloquial "Sides".  Was there really a need to change it?

Seeing the dumbed-down "App" for "appetizer", makes me want them to change it to "Hors d'oeuvres"...just to mess with people.

LOL

I can just imagine people in restaurants saying "What are whores devores?"

I remember being in a Taco Bell once, and hearing some fat guy order a "casso dillah"

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 7:10pm
I kinda wish they changed back to hors d'oeuvres too - if only because I can't imagine the trendy kids changing it into something asinine unless they're making an immature joke like "who wants to order the WHORES?"

It isn't cute, not a bit. Never heard vacay before but I've heard lappy and I think it's kind of stupid. Apps for some reason just irks me the worst because it's just one word that caught on and hasn't died at all. I mean...even PC programs are now being refereed to as Apps. Come on people, just drop that word already! We don't need to be a trendy society with sheep everywhere you turn. D:<

Well, it kinda makes sense in Windows 8 - considering they seemed to develop it with only smartphone users in mind and didn't give a damn about anyone else.
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 2:02am
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

Well, it kinda makes sense in Windows 8 - considering they seemed to develop it with only smartphone users in mind and didn't give a damn about anyone else.

Which is why I won't use Windows 8. I only use Windows 98 and Windows 2000. Whether people like that or not, I don't care. Wink
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 2:10am
Originally posted by jhiller21 jhiller21 wrote:

I can just imagine people in restaurants saying "What are whores devores?"...
LOL
If'n yer gonna devour a whore, it is best you meet up with yer better half at Ruby Tuesday's.
The fried greenbeans with dill dip are to die for, and after a few of their extra large happy hour drinks, anyone looks awful purty if the missus left you for being a pig and getting sloppy drunk. 
It's a win-win situation until you wake up the next morning.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 2:37am

Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

Which is why I won't use Windows 8. I only use Windows 98 and Windows 2000. Whether people like that or not, I don't care. Wink

I'm ok with Windows XP (run it in VMWare Workstation on my computer - I can boot it up and be posting to you on that in mere minutes if I wanted), and while reaction to 7 was initially bad it grew to essentially be XP with updated drivers.

I've had Windows 98 before and if it had updated drivers I'd happily use it today.
Autumn View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 2:43am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I can just imagine people in restaurants saying "What are whores devores?"...
LOL
If'n yer gonna devour a whore, it is best you meet up with yer better half at Ruby Tuesday's.
The fried greenbeans with dill dip are to die for, and after a few of their extra large happy hour drinks, anyone looks awful purty if the missus left you for being a pig and getting sloppy drunk. 
It's a win-win situation until you wake up the next morning.

Oooooh I've never had the Ruby Tuesday's fried green beans but if they're anything like the TGIFridays' fried green beans I'd probably love them. They're delicious.
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 2:48am
They're actually deep frying green beans now? At first that sounded odd, but now I'm sorta intrigued.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 2:51am
With the ice-cold creamy dill dip, they are to die for. Best snack on the planet. Fair-sized serving, yet too small - not 'sharable'. Make her buy her own. 
Autumn View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 2:52am

They're actually deep frying green beans now? At first that sounded odd, but now I'm sorta intrigued.

The ones at TGI Fridays are breaded, but not completely covered and then I guess fried or baked. Probably fried cause they're pretty delicious, lol. Then it comes with a really good dipping sauce.

I remember a few weeks ago I went there with some of my friends to play trivia. Several big guys who joked around with me "You're getting GREEN BEANS as an appetizer? haha" Then I made them all try it and they loved it ate the whole thing and I hardly got any, lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic