Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fast food workers demand $15.00 /hour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fast food workers demand $15.00 /hour
    Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 10:31am
Angry  We would all be better off if they just had to shut down all of them.
Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 2:03pm
Lots of people depend on those jobs and the minimum wage just does not cut it in major cities. those fast food giants make billions off the blood, sweat and tears of the minimum wage earner.

I doubt they'll get $15/hour but I wish them well. I hope they get something better.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 2:47pm

The reality is that if fast food places gave their employees such a major raise, all other employers would have to do the same---not just for minimum wage workers, but for everyone, as a person making $15/hour now wouldn't want to work their job for the same wages as a McDonalds worker.  This would have a major effect on employment, as companies would probably have to lay people off and demand more from the workers they keep.  Maybe they'd drop insurance coverage.  Maybe they'd raise prices substantially.  Maybe they'd simply look to automation to do more jobs.  I doubt they'd willingly lower their profit margin without raising prices and cutting costs elsewhere.

I understand that "economic justice" sounds nice, but in reality, raising minimum wage has a domino effect that these workers probably don't care about at the moment.  Probably the thing they should be doing instead of striking is to do whatever they need to do to get a better job. 

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 3:21pm
Never gonna happen.

Thor is right about the ripple effects it would have throughout the economy.

If somebody lives in an expensive major city & cannot afford to live off their McDonalds salary, they need to do what people have always done when they needed more money to live on... take on a second job, or alter their lifestyle.

Cut out the luxuries or possibly take on roomates to help pay living expenses.

Two people can live more cheaply than one.

Besides, I think that most people who work in fast food probably still live with their families or with a spouse anyway.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:32pm

My first real job (one that required a Social Security card) was part-time and paid minimum wage (like $1.50/hour or something).  I was 14.  I had no expectations that this could or should pay for an apartment and a family.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:45pm
I was working before I could drive also. 8th or 9th grade. Cleaning boats and pumping gas.
It a great experience in many ways. The cool part was, I was detailing the exact same Glastron boats they used in the (Live and let die) 007 Movie.  Bond, James Bond.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:47pm
In 1974 - 75 during my senior year in high school, my best friend & I worked as pizza makers & general kitchen help at a mom & pop Italian restaurant.

We also made $1.50 an hour.

Paid for our weed, beer, gas in our cars & surfboard wax.

With some left over for the occasional movie, etc.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:53pm

I wish I'd worked at some sorta food place.  My minimum wage jobs were always stocking shelves, cashiering, sweeping floors, etc.  My summer jobs when I was in college were all warehouse jobs---loading trucks and that sort of thing.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:11pm
I did a bit of that stuff too.

If you've never worked in a kitchen, you haven't missed anything. It's hot, sweaty & stinky. Your hands constantly stink like garlic & onions with the skin peeling off due to the harsh chemicals & bacteria in the dish water. Plus during busy times like lunch & dinner, it's very stressful. Waitresses bitching because their customers are bitching so the boss starts bitching, orders backing up, everybody tripping over & bumping into each other... nothing to envy there.

I finally had enough & went into retail for a few years.

Much nicer.

Did a lot of the warehouse thing too. My first full time job after high school that I left the Italian restaurant for, was at the Piper Aircraft factory in Vero Beach.

Worked in the stockroom there for a year. Made $4.50 an hour, which in 1976 was about the equivalent of $12 - $15 an hour today.

Couldn't hack the 120 mile a day round trip commute every day, plus I was getting itchy to go to college. Worked at a Sea Ray boat plant on Merritt Island, much closer to home driving a forklift for the summer, then started college in September & went back to working nights in the restaurant biz again.

This time, Pizza Hut.

After a year of that was when I started in retail.

C'mon, man!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:36pm
My first job was as a sacker at Kroger .. minimum wage was $4.25.  I also did Pizza Hut for a while, first as a cook which was miserable, then as a driver which was much better.  You were only in the store a few minutes at a time during the dinner rush, so dealing with the chaos & mayhem (especially Friday nights) was at a minimum.  You still had to deal with traffic and with the customers face to face, but it was nice having cash in your pocket at the end of every shift, plus the bi-weekly paycheck. What I'd get in tips + wage came out to anywhere between 15-18 an hour.  The downside?  Gas, car upkeep, etc. was exponentially higher than it is now.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Lots of people depend on those jobs and the minimum wage just does not cut it in major cities. those fast food giants make billions off the blood, sweat and tears of the minimum wage earner.

I doubt they'll get $15/hour but I wish them well. I hope they get something better.
No offence Ms. Mad.  I worked at Churches Chicken, NW side of Indy in about 78.
Finally found a direction, and something I like. Starting pay was still over minimum wage.
Crooked Stick Golf Club.  Do you know what John Daly's favorite club is?  The Canadian Club.LOL
Even without college you can move up through the ranks. I had some good bosses that taught me alot.
By 06 I had made it to the top of this portion of the industry. 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:57pm
Pizza Hut didn't have drivers when I worked there.

Of course, there was no Domino's or Papa John's either & no such thing as pizza delivery.

You wanted a pizza at home, you called in the order, then got in the car & picked it up yourself.

C'mon, man!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 6:10pm
One of the perks working there was that pizza was a huge 'trading chip.'  Everyone loves pizza, so we could almost always find a taker to trade with, and not just with other restaurants either.  One of my managers would trade with Blockbuster for free movie rentals, another with a pool hall for free pool. Car detailing, oil changes, you name it. 
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:25pm
One summer I worked at a roast beef restaurant.  I made $1.45/hour. 

One day, I went to my boss and asked for a raise, and that I could get a job with my neighbor's construction company for $6.00/hour.

My boss said, "Wow, would he hire me too?" 

I didn't get the raise nor did my neighbor hire me.  He said his red neck workers would be too rough on this young college kid.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:54pm
^I got turned down for a construction job near town for that same reason.

As I left, I quickly helped a guy visibly struggling with large bags of concrete. Grabbed on in each arm, slung 'em on top of my shoulders, and walked them over to where he was taking them. All the while, the 'boss' just watched, sort of slack-jawed.

He tried to call me back, but honestly I was pissed off at his attitude (plus I got a temp job as a tutor that paid three times his minimum wage)
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

No offence Ms. Mad.  I worked at Churches Chicken, NW side of Indy in about 78.
Finally found a direction, and something I like. Starting pay was still over minimum wage.
Crooked Stick Golf Club.  Do you know what John Daly's favorite club is?  The Canadian Club.LOL
Even without college you can move up through the ranks. I had some good bosses that taught me alot.
By 06 I had made it to the top of this portion of the industry. 
Oh no offense taken at all! I worked for McDonalds from 1978-81. Like someone mentioned, it was money to burn on clothes, going out, save for tuition. But that was over 30 years ago.

In today's f**ked up economy, these ARE the only jobs (I'm in NY) . This isn't piss away money for some people - thye actually have to try to live on minimum wage salaries. In fact, two weeks ago, THOUSANDS of people slept overnight for a few days to get a chance at 500 construction apprentice jobs.

Sad...

the company i work for just laid off a load of people. I could have easily been on the chopping block. Shoot, if McDonalds was paying $15 it would be a temptation right now. LOL
The artist formerly known as Madawee

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

My first real job (one that required a Social Security card) was part-time and paid minimum wage (like $1.50/hour or something).  I was 14.  I had no expectations that this could or should pay for an apartment and a family.

I acquired my SS card and state work permit at 14 y/o. Minimum wage was $1.25. I worked at a grocery store about 20 to 25 hours per week for $1.45/hour. I also had to join the retail clerks union and pay $11.00 per month for... something?
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

One of the perks working there was that pizza was a huge 'trading chip.'  Everyone loves pizza, so we could almost always find a taker to trade with, and not just with other restaurants either.  One of my managers would trade with Blockbuster for free movie rentals, another with a pool hall for free pool. Car detailing, oil changes, you name it.

Been there, done that but on the other end.

I moonlighted at a local Subway a couple of days a week for about 3 months back in '85 in order to save up for a vacation. We used to call Domino's & trade out subs for a couple of large, loaded down pizzas.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

One summer I worked at a roast beef restaurant.  I made $1.45/hour. 

One day, I went to my boss and asked for a raise, and that I could get a job with my neighbor's construction company for $6.00/hour.

My boss said, "Wow, would he hire me too?" 

I didn't get the raise nor did my neighbor hire me.  He said his red neck workers would be too rough on this young college kid.

He probably did you a favor.

Construction workers are notorious assholes not only to new guys they percieve as being "soft", but to each other as well.

I used to be friends with a mason. He would occasionally brag about his fast reflexes & his abilty to catch anything he dropped before it hit the ground. And he could, too.

The reason he developed the ability to do that was because, he said, if you were on a scaffold 3 stories up & dropped a tool, like your trowel or level, you'd have to climb down to get it, then climb back up because nobody would pick it up & toss it back up to you.

C'mon, man!
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 5:45pm
$15.00 an hour?! Are you f**king KIDDING me?!!

I work in an office and I don't make that much! If you ask me, I don't think they deserve to make that much. Working in a fast food place should only be a temporary job, something that you do for a couple of years before moving on to something better. I'm reading about these people in the paper and they're saying that $7.25 an hour is not enough to raise a family on. HELLO!!! You're not supposed to raise a family on that! Go out and get a real job with better wages and benefits!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 5:07am
I worked at Hardee's for 3 days before I quit.  The other workers were pretty much a clique of druggies, the managers had to do a food inventory every 4 hours (counting burger patties & even weighing opened bags of frozen fries.  The owner was really anal about stuff like that), and the place was a dump.  Also found out later they ran extra paychecks off in my name and forged my sig on them.  That last part still ticks me off....
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Construction workers are notorious assholes not only to new guys they percieve as being "soft", but to each other as well.

I used to be friends with a mason. He would occasionally brag about his fast reflexes & his abilty to catch anything he dropped before it hit the ground. And he could, too.

The reason he developed the ability to do that was because, he said, if you were on a scaffold 3 stories up & dropped a tool, like your trowel or level, you'd have to climb down to get it, then climb back up because nobody would pick it up & toss it back up to you.

We always gave newbies a chance and paid them far more then minimum wage. If they bragged and their knees started knockin' up here, they stayed on the ground.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 1:50am
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Wow, and I thought we were original for doing that at Chuck E Cheese. We only did trades with the DQ in the mall for blizzards though.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

We always gave newbies a chance and paid them far more then minimum wage. If they bragged and their knees started knockin' up here, they stayed on the ground.

I'd have pissed my britches halfway up to that ridge.

And sorry about the "a-hole" comment.

I meant it in a "good way"....

BTW, I noticed in the bottom pic, there's chip in the end of that one rafter where the nail went in.

Hope you put a strap or something on it.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 2:38am
Originally posted by MrTim<strong> MrTim wrote:

I worked at Hardee's for 3 days before I quit.  The other workers were pretty much a clique of druggies, the managers had to do a food inventory every 4 hours (counting burger patties & even weighing opened bags of frozen fries.  The owner was really anal about stuff like that), and the place was a dump....
LOLLOLLOL

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic