Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's nice we are having weather today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 175>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Here at The Estate In The Swamp, it is 61 and sunny while I am cooking pork chops and sauerkraut and bragging to one of my  colleagues who lives up near The Den...he says he hates me and so does his wife...they sent THIS, for today:
I've been noticing all of the houses around here with really flat roofs, ours has a steeper pitch which makes me worry less about the weight of the snow.  I also noticed something else today, when I was out.  Usually with older homes, no matter how steep their roofs are, some were completely clear of snow!  That's a sign of poor insulation and too much heat reaching the roof from the inside of the house.

One of the houses had huge icicles hanging from the gutters!  Not only is that dangerous but these people are wasting tons of money on their utility bills.

We are bound to break the record for the coldest high temperature for this date. 12 degrees, they are predicting a high of 7 above.

The lady at the grocery store even wondered why I chose the coldest morning in a while for my shopping trip. She commented once about my Little Debbie Donut Sticks. Tongue  Her comment was about how long Little Debbie has been around. A long time , we agreed. I'm not shy about talking about how old I am, 60.  She told me how old she was...66.  Look!  I'm not very suave anymore and I wasn't trying to be. But I did say probably the worst thing I could have.  You look great for your age! Embarrassed  I know she's married, or at least she where's a ring on that finger. She knows I'm married...I lost my wedding ring dealing with the leaves last fall.  I still miss having that thing on my finger.  Anyway, I told the lady that the wife needs her beverages.  Mocha Latte,  Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate sensation.  That really is the only reason I made the trip.

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 5:31pm
I took Mama's Edge out for the first time since the city plow built the now famous 'Widow Maker-Great Hump of aka's Driveway'.  It's kinda narrow, I told her that. She needs to be careful backing out later today.

It didn't bottom out, no scary scraping sounds.  She has her 'Women's League' meeting later today.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 7:10am
It's finally looking a little more like Spring around here. Now, the concern is flooding.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:23am
We went from the 20-40 range to 76, yesterday and back to the 40-50 range until late in the week when we get our first taste of 80, before dropping back down...I SO want to go back to the GreatWhiteNorth!!!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:30am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

...The lady at the grocery store even wondered why I chose the coldest morning in a while for my shopping trip. She commented once about my Little Debbie Donut Sticks. Tongue  Her comment was about how long Little Debbie has been around. A long time , we agreed. I'm not shy about talking about how old I am, 60.  She told me how old she was...66.  Look!  I'm not very suave anymore and I wasn't trying to be. But I did say probably the worst thing I could have.  You look great for your age! Embarrassed  I know she's married, or at least she where's a ring on that finger. She knows I'm married...I lost my wedding ring dealing with the leaves last fall.  I still miss having that thing on my finger.  Anyway, I told the lady that the wife needs her beverages.  Mocha Latte,  Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate sensation.  That really is the only reason I made the trip.

66?! The 'Dangerous Age'? The 'Elder Cougar'? Better watch out - she wants you and doesn't care about any stinkin' 'lost wedding ring', no. She probably figures she can take on your wife, so she wants to see if 'Stanley can stand at attention' just once - then she'll lure you back with 'Little Debbies'WinkLOL
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 4:59pm
There is still tons of snow on the ground but I just saw and heard a sure sign of spring!

My desk is in the corner of the living room, right next to a window.

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO ZOOM THE CAM ON MY PHONE!!!

Uncle salty told me when she was just a baby
That she'd get by and maybe someday she'd see
But soon she found her mother's love for all the others
The pushers and the shovers was the life to lead
But when she cried at night, no one came
And when she cried at night, went insane
Oh, it's a sunny day outside my window
Oh, it's a sunny day outside my window

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:35am
Today we had what I call "sprall" weather. Fall weather in spring.

Nice yard working weather, so that's what I did.

A little anyway.

Try to do a little bit every day.

I figure by this time next year I'll have all this year's work done, then I can start all over again.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 12:16pm
The last time the water was this high was back in 2008.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 4:09pm
The river has reached the main highway through town.

This may be worse than 2008, no threat to our house as long as the sump pump keeps running.

Before we moved in here (2004) neighbor Scott was telling me he was chasing fish in the back yard.

The pump was replaced a few years ago when the city and Fema did their work.  I put in an alarm that will go off if the pump fails.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:02pm
The neighbor across the street is parking in the street because his yard and driveway is flooded.

This is the end of our street, about 12 inches of water.  We could actually get stuck back here!

I'm the not-so-proud winner of the bonehead of the week...No, make that bonehead of the MONTH award!

I should have looked yesterday after Mama took those pictures. The irrigation pump is completely under water.  That's going to be expensive!

I may look at replacing just the motor, being submerged shouldn't hurt the pump itself.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 4:22pm
The city is offering sandbags to anyone who needs them, they closed Hwy 21.

More flooding at the end of our street and both directions out of the neighborhood.

Just about every home across the street has water in their yards.  They are directly on the river.
Across the street from us, Mama looks a little like Cousin It! Tongue

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 4:48pm
If I have my history right, they dug the channel and used that material for fill under the future homes on the north side of the street. The building inspector screwed up and FEMA had to intervene, that's a whole other cluster f*ck!

At least these homes were on a higher grade, meaning 'level of elevation'.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 4:55pm
Wow! I heard about the flooding but thought you had escaped it...stay safe & dry, old friend. 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:36pm
Thanks, PaW.  It keeps inching closer to the house. As long as the flood waters don't get too close to the house, the sump pump should be able to do it's job.

Some of the people, without a truck, who live back here are stranded. The water at the end of our street is nearly 2 feet deep.  I worry about damage to the wife's Edge.  Some of that stuff should not get wet!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 4:14pm
There must have been a helluva an ice jam down river from us, sometime on Thursday it broke up and the water levels have dropped dramatically. I was starting to feel some anxiety worrying about the house and driving the vehicles through standing water. Now that I can get to the irrigation pump, I think I'll bring it inside the garage and try to dry the motor out.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 5:11pm
Our temps have been above normal for a pretty good amount of time until now, the low was 25 this morning and it's only 32 right now with snow flurries. I wanted to start a fire early this morning.  I noticed that a lot of cold air was coming out of the wood burner as I loaded it. The Air Exchange fan must have been running.  Whatever was causing it, I managed to fill this side of the house with smoke.

There is an adjustment on the door latch that helps seal the door, I made that adjustment and that seems to be helping.  Usually, there is a natural (warm air rises) draft UP the flu pipe. Even more so once the pipe gets some heat build up. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 5:39pm
Have to hide inside today - it is *almost* 40 outside, but it is just as sunny as yesterday, when it was 72 at the same time. My sinuses can't handle this over and over...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:13pm
It's pretty friggin nice out there right now!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:56pm
Oh yeah?????

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 5:19pm
YEAH!

Compared to late April of last year, (I couldn't find the Chupacabra pic) I'll take it!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 6:40pm

YEAH!

So now I must ask, is there some significance of that particular chord (G), or could it have been pretty much any other chord?

Like say, a C...

Or maybe a D...

Or even an E... ...?

Just curious.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:48am
LOL
That's the rarely used, you're number one F-U chord!  Wink

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 3:44pm

LOL
That's the rarely used, you're number one F-U chord!  Wink

Mmmm hmmm. I kinda figgered it was something like that...

That's the same chord that, when one plays it oneself....

...it's like giving oneself the finger.

I guess that make the E chord...

...a double, FUx2 chord.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 5:04pm
LOL

I'm getting quite the guitar lesson here! Are you gonna give us all a little solo number?

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 6:41pm
Our pleasant weather is coming to an abrupt end.  The birds are singing outside my window.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 175>
  Share Topic