Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

College Commercials (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourstringdrums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: College Commercials (video)
    Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 5:40am
There are two types of commercials for local colleges that I see on TV.

Type A makes you feel like if you don't get off your ass and take some classes, you're a worthless human being and/or if you can't fit classes into your busy lifestyle, you're somehow not trying hard enough. One I saw tonight even tried to say that you can work a 9-5 job, take care of your kids AND go to school part time!. She did it, why can't you??? Another commercial I saw tonight for the same college has a guy who is dressed like a bum basically telling the viewer to quit bitching about how your life is going and get off your ass and take some damn classes.

Type B was for a specific college and it made those uneducated people look like a-holes who see people who go to college as the privledged types who look down on those who didn't and made those who did go to college live up to the image. One such commercial had Girl #1 who is an angry, loathsome person working a crappy minimum wage job at a department store. Girl #2 comes into the store wearing scrubs, because obviously she's a successful person working in the medical profession. Girl #1 turns to the person she's standing next to and says "OH *NO* What's *SHE* doing here?" (like she's not allowed to come into that store...apparently it's Good Will and this girl doesn't need it. "Who?" "See that girl in the scrubs? She ALWAYS has her life together". Girl #2 comes up to Girl #1 and very nicely says "Hi! I haven't seen you since high school? How have you been?" Girl #1 says "STILL going to school and working here, you?" "I'm now a medical assistant, I graduated in only *9 MONTHS!*" "Wow, 9 months? I still have YEARS of school left?" Girl #2 gives Girl #1 a "sucks to be you" attitude and snotty smile and walks away.

Another commercial, is just plain annoying and succeeds in making you feel bad about yourself. This can either be in Type B or a new category, Type C. It basically just repeats this mantra:

I can't get a job because I didn't go to school
I can't go to school because I don't have any money
I don't have any money because I don't have a job

repeat, slowly speeding up the pitch and speed of the voice until you're slowly driven insane.
Dad! The cable is out again CAN YOU FIXTH THIT!?
Sponsored Links

athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 5:57am
Yeah, I remember being a down on  my luck 19 year old who was living at home watching one of those technical school, "get a degree and a great job in 12 months" deals.  I speak with one of the advisors who gives more like a sales pitch to me.  Long story short, this wondrous 12 month education was going to cost me about $8000 (in 1988 dollars). 

I've long since graduated from a REAL college and have a great job.  Of course it took 4 years, but those dang old Bachelors degrees seem to have a little more clout than those 12 month certificates. 
SurrealFeline View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurrealFeline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 6:30am
Oh gawd, my sister and I can't STAND the commercials for the EverestColleges.
There's some dumb broad, talking about how she's not the type of person who can sit typing at a desk for hours.

When she says "I HAAATED IT" we always cringe and throw stuff at the screen lol
Grr why can't they make the commercials LESS annoying so people actually want to pay attention and go the heck back to school???Angry
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 6:37am

There's this guy in a Western Career College commercial (taking veterinary assistant classes) who now actually works for the vet I recently brought a cat to.  He came out to get the cat for bloodwork, and I said "Hey, you're the guy in that commercial!".

A little while later, he assisted when the vet put the cat to sleep.

smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 4:55pm

Yeah, whenever I see one of those commercials where the girl whines, "Mom says there's no money for college," I want to scream, "Well, honey, have you ever heard of student loans?  Grants?  WORKING your way through?"

There's also an ad in my area for Bryant & Stratton College(a legitimate, accredited institution)in which the young medical assistant explicitly says, "I needed my college degree--NOT just a certificate."

PS:  I'm sorry about your cat, Thor.  I had to have one of mine put to sleep in February.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by smittykins smittykins wrote:

PS:  I'm sorry about your cat, Thor.  I had to have one of mine put to sleep in February.

Thanks, smittykins.  It was actually a stray I'd known only for about 4 days, and had hoped to make mine.  Unfortunately, he had FIV and I had to put him to sleep.  First time I ever had to do that to an animal.  I started a thread here about him.

Sorry about your cat, too!  Trying to find a silver lining, I figured that at least I now know what to expect (from the cat and the vet, as well as from myself) when the time comes that I have to put one of my own to sleep.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by fourstringdrums fourstringdrums wrote:

There are two types of commercials for local colleges that I see on TV.

Type A makes you feel like if you don't get off your ass and take some classes, you're a worthless human being and/or if you can't fit classes into your busy lifestyle, you're somehow not trying hard enough. One I saw tonight even tried to say that you can work a 9-5 job, take care of your kids AND go to school part time!. She did it, why can't you??? Another commercial I saw tonight for the same college has a guy who is dressed like a bum basically telling the viewer to quit bitching about how your life is going and get off your ass and take some damn classes.

These colleges really seem to go for single mothers---who all seem to wear their single motherhood status as some sort of badge of honor.  One of the commercials now, features a "mother of 6".  She looks to be around 28 or so.

blast-off-girl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blast-off-girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

There's this guy in a Western Career College commercial (taking veterinary assistant classes) who now actually works for the vet I recently brought a cat to.  He came out to get the cat for bloodwork, and I said "Hey, you're the guy in that commercial!".

A little while later, he assisted when the vet put the cat to sleep.

Well, it's good to know that they use real graduates in their commercial rather than actors.  I've had clients who attended Western and they were always studying before our sessions.  I just hate the jingle, "You can do it [clap clap]!"
Bender View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 6:36pm

One such commercial had Girl #1 who is an angry, loathsome person working a crappy minimum wage job at a department store. Girl #2 comes into the store wearing scrubs, because obviously she's a successful person working in the medical profession. Girl #1 turns to the person she's standing next to and says "OH *NO* What's *SHE* doing here?" (like she's not allowed to come into that store...apparently it's Good Will and this girl doesn't need it. "Who?" "See that girl in the scrubs? She ALWAYS has her life together". Girl #2 comes up to Girl #1 and very nicely says "Hi! I haven't seen you since high school? How have you been?" Girl #1 says "STILL going to school and working here, you?" "I'm now a medical assistant, I graduated in only *9 MONTHS!*" "Wow, 9 months? I still have YEARS of school left?" Girl #2 gives Girl #1 a "sucks to be you" attitude and snotty smile and walks away.

Another commercial, is just plain annoying and succeeds in making you feel bad about yourself. This can either be in Type B or a new category, Type C. It basically just repeats this mantra:

repeat, slowly speeding up the pitch and speed of the voice until you're slowly driven insane.

Wow, I thought those commercials were only aired around here! Gotta love daytime TV...
This space available.
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 10:24pm
Hey, the second one is offensive to me!  I have two degrees, a two year and a four year, both from accredited colleges, and I still shop at Goodwill quite a bit because some of my BEST clothes have come from there!  I kid you not...I've gotten an insane number of comments and "where did you get that?" from several outfits that originated from Goodwill.  (And not sarcastic, "hidden joke" comments.  These are sincere compliments because some of these clothes are fabulous.)  For whatever reason, I get the best fits there.  In fact, someone once asked me if one dress in particular was "custom made" because it was like new and fit me like a glove.  $3.  My little secret...Wink

Also, I got to the middle rung of the "corporate ladder" with my degrees, and I was hating my life so much that three years ago I deliberately took a HUGE step down to a  lower-salary go-nowhere job with great co-workers and I've never been happier!  I can finally concentrate all my educated efforts on keeping my LIFE in order and exploring my several hobbies to the fullest.  In fact, my job is now the LEAST stressful area of my life, and it's glorious.  You shouldn't stress so much about your next dollar (those "great" jobs are all about constantly proving yourself to invisible big shots and dealing with extremely snide corporate types and catty competitive co-workers.)  Nope.  Give ME "typing all day" any day!
msmith View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 4:28am
And it seems like if you're not interested in a medical assistant career, then you're worthless.  I'm going to school to be an architect and its a 5-year program.  I guess I'm an idiot because I don't want to go to some overpriced school to get a certificate to empty bed pans or some such thing.
Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 4:41am
fourstringdrums View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourstringdrums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Ryan Ferneau Ryan Ferneau wrote:

Here's what the ads are really saying

If we were a good university, we wouldn't have commercials *lmao*
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 7:41am
Funny, Ryan.

I always feel bad for the people on the commercials, when the voiceover says, "If SHE can do it, so can YOU!"  As if "She's a moron, so ANYBODY could do it!"
fourstringdrums View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourstringdrums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 7:43am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Funny, Ryan.

I always feel bad for the people on the commercials, when the voiceover says, "If SHE can do it, so can YOU!"  As if "She's a moron, so ANYBODY could do it!"

I've always hated that aspect of some commercials, especially weight loss. "If *I* can do it, so can you!"

Yeah and who the hell are you?
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 7:47am
Well, there's a difference between calling yourself a moron, as in "If *I* can do it, so can you," and calling someone else a moron ("If *she* can do it, so can you).
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 10:29am

Oh how I hate that commercial.  Way to go commercial, on making me feel worthless.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 4:32am
I hate the one with the early 20something black guy with the crooked ball cap spouting something about doing something with his life and enrolling in some school.  First rule, straighten the hat, you are not 12 anymore.
thespianmom View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thespianmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 7:47am
There's one where this guy went to school for criminology of some kind...but what drives me crazy is at the end he's like "i'm a hero, I have a career."  WOW, YOU HAVE AN ACTUAL JOB!!!!! what a hero!!!! jerk.  And I also hate the line "I can work and still have time for my family and friends."  OH, please, everybody works and still has time for their families.  What a bunch of morons. 

And it's never a JOB, it's a CAREER.

There is just so much about these ads that makes me nuts.  I think they assume that if you watch any daytime TV you either:  have been in an accident and need a lawyer, or you have a settlement but you're broke so you need J G Wentworth, or you're unemployed and sitting on  your couch wondering what tech school you should go to. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 3:12am
Originally posted by thespianmom thespianmom wrote:

There's one where this guy went to school for criminology of some kind...but what drives me crazy is at the end he's like "i'm a hero, I have a career."  WOW, YOU HAVE AN ACTUAL JOB!!!!! what a hero!!!! jerk.  And I also hate the line "I can work and still have time for my family and friends."  OH, please, everybody works and still has time for their families.  What a bunch of morons. 

And it's never a JOB, it's a CAREER.

There is just so much about these ads that makes me nuts.  I think they assume that if you watch any daytime TV you either:  have been in an accident and need a lawyer, or you have a settlement but you're broke so you need J G Wentworth, or you're unemployed and sitting on  your couch wondering what tech school you should go to. 

And as a Criminology graduate from a REAL college, I can guarantee you that you won't get hired to the CSI team straight out of graduation without earning your stripes as a police officer or going to the FBI academy.  Most likely you will be some low level lab tech or entry level corrections officer until you get your experience in.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 3:48am
Originally posted by athomas917 athomas917 wrote:

I hate the one with the early 20something black guy with the crooked ball cap spouting something about doing something with his life and enrolling in some school.  First rule, straighten the hat, you are not 12 anymore.

Is that the one where he complains about having 3 jobs and says "the money wasn't tight but it wasn't right"? What the hell, if the money isn't tight then what's the problem. For me and my husband when the money isn't tight it IS right!

My husband has a college degree from a good school in communications, specifically media production. He can't find a stinkin' job in that field. I have to choose a major in the next few months (since I'm almost done with my first 2 years) and I honestly don't know what I'd want to do. Most people don't get jobs in their major anyway. I'm probably going for communications as well. I read something that said most jobs care about being a college graduate, and not what you specifically graduated in, and that having a college degree is pretty much required for any decent job now a days.

Oh, and not to mention that if you work while going to school getting a 4 year degree in 4 years is almost impossible unless you take summer courses or do Post Secondary Enrollment in high school (it's basically being allowed to take certain college courses while in high school by traveling to a local college for part of your day). I've come to terms with the fact that in order for me to earn money while going to school, it's going to take me at least 5 years.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Originally posted by athomas917 athomas917 wrote:

Is that the one where he complains about having 3 jobs and says "the money wasn't tight but it wasn't right"? What the hell, if the money isn't tight then what's the problem. For me and my husband when the money isn't tight it IS right!

My husband has a college degree from a good school in communications, specifically media production. He can't find a stinkin' job in that field. I have to choose a major in the next few months (since I'm almost done with my first 2 years) and I honestly don't know what I'd want to do. Most people don't get jobs in their major anyway. I'm probably going for communications as well. I read something that said most jobs care about being a college graduate, and not what you specifically graduated in, and that having a college degree is pretty much required for any decent job now a days.

Oh, and not to mention that if you work while going to school getting a 4 year degree in 4 years is almost impossible unless you take summer courses or do Post Secondary Enrollment in high school (it's basically being allowed to take certain college courses while in high school by traveling to a local college for part of your day). I've come to terms with the fact that in order for me to earn money while going to school, it's going to take me at least 5 years.

It took me 3 years to get my final 60 hours of college working full time and that was with me living at home with my parents and an occasional summer semester her and there and the fact that my college was one of the few to offer a full night time curriculum.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 5:50am
After this semester I'll have my first "2 years" or 60 hours done, but since I had to take a semester off it's taken me 2 and a half years. Not to mention to finish all the general ed I have to cram 5 or 6 classes into this semester, and that's not going to be easy.
ZoomZoom View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoomZoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 6:28am
I guess I'm lucky.  I don't see too many of these commercials.  When they do come on they also do that "If I can do it so can you" line.  But these are rare in Memphis.

The last thing people think about in this city is education.  What's on the mind of most Memphians is how many people can I kill and get away with it.  Yesterday there was an attempted drive by.  Apparently it did not go as planned(If it was planned)  People hopped into their cars and this turned into some sort of shootout through city streets resulting in a crash with innocent ppl.

I guess if they had gone to some sort of college offered in these commercials, then they would not have screwed up the drive by
Our enemies shall be eaten by squirrels
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 6:42pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic