Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USAA Auto Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 3:26pm

Originally posted by CaptainErnie CaptainErnie wrote:

YES!!!!! YES!!!! Someone else finally sees this stupid thing the way I do. I've been saying all along, are these kids announcing when their father (or other relative) died so they could have insurance "handed down" to them? Talk about morbid!!

I don't think the kids are referring to the date that a loved one in the military died.  I think they're referring to the date that their loved one in the military became eligible for the insurance.  I think that requires a certain amount of time having been served.

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't think the kids are referring to the date that a loved one in the military died. I think they're referring to the date that their loved one in the military became eligible for the insurance. I think that requires a certain amount of time having been served.

Well that's even more annoying!!!

Not the meaning itself, but the fact that the meaning is so subtle that in order to get it, you'd have to quit what you're doing & stop thinking about everything else in order to pay attention to their stupid, boring-ass add about insurance.

I hate commercials that try to be clever by hinting at their meaning.

Either tell me what you want me to know in plain terms that I can understand without even paying attention to it or stop bothering me.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
dizrythmia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 4:31am
Originally posted by commercialhaterman commercialhaterman wrote:

And how is it earned??   Does someone have to die before they get their insurance?

Are they proudly proclaiming the day that their loved one died so they were able to inherit the insurance?
that would be hilariously morbid. the army comes knocking on your door...

army officer: "mrs. johnson, it's your husband. his tank hit a land mine in afghanistan. i'm sorry, i'm afraid he didn't make it."
wife: "yes!!!! woohoo! finally, i can get some usaa insurance!!!! IT'S BEEN UUUUURNED!"

mrs. johnson starts dancing in the doorway as the two officers stare awkwardly at each other. she then asks if the one on the right is single.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 8:07pm
OMFG they are running this commercial into ground here! I've seen at least twice maybe more during the marathon of NCIS! They're a special sponsor for this marathon apparently.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
ms103127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms103127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 6:04am

Yeah the commercial makes no sense.

I can't tell if they are saying "Mine was earned" or "I was earned"

And how is it earned??   Does someone have to die before they
get their insurance?

Are they proudly proclaiming the day that their loved one died
so they were able to inherit the insurance?

Seems awful!   And stack on top of that making KIDS make the declaration!

YES!!!!! YES!!!! Someone else finally sees this stupid thing the way I do. I've been saying all along, are these kids announcing when their father (or other relative) died so they could have insurance "handed down" to them? Talk about morbid!!
And aside from that, I am really getting sick and tired of our members of the armed services being elevated to "saint" status simply because they signed up for military service. Join the Army and automatically become a hero just for signing up. What about the policeman, fireman, or ambulance driver? Aren't they heroes too?  Where's the special insurance company for them? What about the rest of us? Don't we work hard and spend money to keep our economy growing and keep this nation strong? Where's our insurance break?
In addition to being an annoying POS, this ad highlights another major problem we have here in the "greatest country in the world". 
Don't get me wrong, I'm not as anti-military as this may sound. But think about it. The last time our troops actually defended this country was world war two. And now we have a commercial to rub it in.

Actually, yes, you do sound very anti-military.  You remind of the individual that just a few weeks ago, when I was waiting to cross the street in my military uniform, decided to accelerate and speed right by me.  Rude and pompous, just like you apparently are.  

Let's get two things straight:  First, public safety personnel QUALITY FOR SPECIAL INSURANCE INCENTIVES WITH VARIOUS INSURANCE COMPANIES.  Ever hear of discounts?

Secondly, you want an insurance break?  How about instead of whining and complaining about the people that guard and protect you and your freedoms, you SIGN UP and serve?  Don't worry, you don't have to go in Active Duty.  You can always go Guard or Reserve.  If that is too much for you, how about serving in a public safety capacity?  I've worked in both law enforcement and public safety communications.  I'm sure you can rough it to earn your special insurance incentive....   

Next time, think, then type..... Thumbs Up
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 8:35am
I see no reason why joe down the street gets a discount for serving when I might be working a long hard week building tanks or Humvees. Where's my "patriotic" discount?
Secondly, I don't need to kill another human being to be a man.
ms103127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms103127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 11:34am
Wow, aren't you an arrogant, attention-seeking asshole.... so, by your logic, EVERYONE in the military kills other human beings?  I know quite a few folks -- myself included -- that haven't, don't (they're non-combatants), and if they do, there's a pretty good reason for it (like protecting other people and themselves from critical harm).  Do some mentally-compromised people slip through the cracks?  Sure, but that happens in the civilian world as well.  

Maybe when you grow up and realize that something like an insurance discount sorta pales in comparison to protecting your right to post the whiny BS you have, you'll understand why serving AND PROTECTING your country offers a few "perks".

Oh, and P.S., the hard-working folks that build tanks and military vehicles are government/DoD contractors, and thus, are actually eligible for an insurance discount.  Nice try though.

Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 1:52am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

The radio ads are just as bad, especially Major Osborne's daughter going on and on with a drawn-out story (when most people would just say "He got drafted during Vietnam") she thought was funny.  I'm sure she got a few snarglefarts from laughing at her own lame jokes....

I don't know about her, but I think I did just from reading the word 'snarglefarts'...I'm still giggling like an idiot..
Braaaandy Aaaaalexaaaaaander!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:12am
Originally posted by ms103127 ms103127 wrote:

break?  How about instead of whining and complaining about the people that guard and protect you and your freedoms, you SIGN UP and serve? 

Neither me or my freedoms were under any danger from Iraq(either time we invaded), me and my freedom weren't under any danger from Libya, or Bosnia...yet we were there, too.

That's a pretty good reason not to sign up, cause if you do, cause these days you won't be doing much protecting our freedom, instead you'll mostly be putting your life on the line in some country we have no f**king business being in to make companies like Halliburton tons of money. I know, it's not the troops fault, but anyone who signs up seriously thinking they're going to be protecting freedom, rather than just being used as a tool to line politicians and corporations pockets is incredibly naive.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:38am
Careful, DKS. These people treat logic like they treat atheism.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Miseryguts View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 1:59pm
I'm just wondering if the military will protect us from our own government when the sh*t hits the fan, as it soon will. 
aacoems27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aacoems27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 2:18am
Family of those who have served understand what it means to have earned a privilege or in this case insurance at a special rate.

Anyone who wants to critique how a 5 year old pronounces something can find me on here awaiting your reply. You are a moron.

I'm tired of the endless repetition of a lot of these commercials.   Want to fix it. Take your lazy ass off the couch and shut off the TV.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 6:26am
Originally posted by aacoems27 aacoems27 wrote:

Anyone who wants to critique how a 5 year old pronounces something can find me on here awaiting your reply. You are a moron.

If you are promoting a product and the person you have promoting it cannot speak clearly, you find someone else. Either don't use a 5 year old, or find one who CAN speak clearly, it's not that hard a concept for anyone but you to grasp.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 10:18pm
Here's their latest ad... this "Saratoga" girl annoys me more than the previous ones.

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 8:04pm

I see no reason why joe down the street gets a discount for serving when I might be working a long hard week building tanks or Humvees. Where's my "patriotic" discount?
Secondly, I don't need to kill another human being to be a man.

I have recently retired from 23 years in the Army and I've never killed anyone, I've never wanted to kill anyone, and I don't think it makes you a man. NOTE: I have been in combat zones and I have been shot at. ...and the pay ain't all that great. That's why joe down the street gets a discount. Humvee building civilians get paid more than the average servicemember with the benefit of not being put in harms way at any time. Though I'm sure civilian contractors working with active duty armed forces in dangerous areas receive some discounts( maybe even USAA insurance) and other compensation.

The last line of your post shows that you really don't know much of the military. I suppose you think we all just ran around with guns all day.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Originally posted by ms103127 ms103127 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> break?  How about instead of whining and complaining about the people that guard and protect you and your freedoms, you SIGN UP and serve? 
</span>

Neither me or my freedoms were under any danger from Iraq(either time we invaded), me and my freedom weren't under any danger from Libya, or Bosnia...yet we were there, too.

That's a pretty good reason not to sign up, cause if you do, cause these days you won't be doing much protecting our freedom, instead you'll mostly be putting your life on the line in some country we have no f**king business being in to make companies like Halliburton tons of money. I know, it's not the troops fault, but anyone who signs up seriously thinking they're going to be protecting freedom, rather than just being used as a tool to line politicians and corporations pockets is incredibly naive.

I hate to admit it, but you have a valid point, one that I became more and more aware of as I went through my career. It was a different world when I joined, ('89). As you said, don't blame the troops, blame the elected leaders that send them to thse places. Its still a pretty rough job, and while it may not look like it if you were to see me, the VA labeled me as 80% disabled. Theres not much that can be done about it so I'll be dealing with my injuries for the rest of my life. CaptainErnie doesn't seem to understand that's why servicemembers/retirees get discounts.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Here's their latest ad... this "Saratoga" girl annoys me more than the previous ones.

I'm going against the grain here and say I like this one! They speak in clear and understandable language. The complaints I had were ironed out and fixed thanks USAA!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
manasquan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manasquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 2:55am

If the only way to get this insurance is by “Earning” it in jibouti africa or wherever...Why the f**k do they keep running this advertisement to naseum to those of us who cant even buy it?  Think about how much extra the poor sob’s who earned the right to buy usaa are paying to keep these ads running.  Enough already!

Dirtdog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 5:33am
I can't stand this commercial because I watched it at least 10 times before I knew what the hell exactly it was for and it took me a while to understand the garble mouth kid saying "Djibouti" Africa. Where did they dig up(no pun intended) Gage from Pet Cemetary anyway?

maskddingo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskddingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 6:05am
The only thing that I find odd about this latest commercial is the 'earned orbiting the moon' one. That doesn't make sense. I'm sure he was in the military before he joined NASA, so had already 'earned' it well before his first lunar orbit.

I'm still holding out hope for the "I earned mine swabbing the deck of the USS Nimitz" edit to make the cut some day.
chasden View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 12:30am

"Fort Benning Georgia in 1999"

Is it me or do these kids look like the characters in Chicken Run?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic