Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allstate Woman Driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dreamtreedown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allstate Woman Driver
    Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 5:50am
I'm sorry but this is not being empowering to women, but rather being just as sexist as if the roles were reversed. Why. Allstate? Why?

Sponsored Links

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 1:34pm
What makes it more annoying is that there's not even any logic to it!

She's saying "if men are better drivers why did I get this safe drivers check", but...there's 2 flaws with that reasoning.
1)If it is true that men ARE better drivers(I won't comment either way, but let's say they are here), it doesn't also mean women are automatically bad drivers, just that they aren't as good as men. I mean, if you wanna use a similar analogy, just cause Michael Jordan may have been better than Charles Barkley or Scotti Pippen, it certainly doesn't mean Barkley and Pippen were poor players, it just means they aren't as good as Jordan.
2)Just cause something is generally true doesn't make it true 100% of the time. So again, even if men are generally better drivers, it doesn't mean SOME women can't be better. I mean, I could say "getting shot in the head will kill you", and in most cases, it will be true, but there ARE a few people out there who have survived getting shot in the head, it's not a statement that's true 100% of the time, but generally, it is.

So if she really wants to argue that men AREN'T better drivers than women, she really needs a better argument than "I got a good driver's check".
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 3:59pm
I have to confess, I do like how she says "Silence!" at the end. Probably the only tolerable Dennis Haysbert voiceover in my book.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 4:15pm

While it is true that women have fewer accidents, they also drive only 66% as much as men.  That is, men drive 1.5 times as many miles as women do.  That's from the Federal Highway Administration.  So, it's more likely that women will get these good-driving rebates.

I cry discrimination.  AngryLOL

Bena View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 4:47pm
And if Allstate loves women drivers so much, why do they concurrently air the one with that stupid "on a Ramen noodle budget" girl where she's behind the wheel checking her makeup and hair, bopping to the radio, basically not paying attention.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

While it is true that women have fewer accidents, they also drive only 66% as much as men.  That is, men drive 1.5 times as many miles as women do.  That's from the Federal Highway Administration.  So, it's more likely that women will get these good-driving rebates.

Yeah, but maybe that's because men get lost more often because they never ask for directions. :P Y'know, since we're playing with stereotypes thanks to Allstate.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 5:17pm

That's true.  We don't.  But that's all becoming historical, anyway---thanks to GPS.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 5:24pm
A real man doesn't even ask the GPS for directions. And if she tells him which way to go, he goes the opposite way, and tells her to make him a sandwich.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

It's because wimmins only drive as far as the grocery store, the hair see-lon, or to yogurt classes.. there's less opportunity to make driving mistakes

LOL

Seriously though, that's like saying red cars are bad luck because 50% of accidents involve red cars... not because 50% of cars sold are red. It's just math, the more miles you drive, the more chance you have of finding trouble.. regardless of where your reproductive organs are.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

A real man doesn't even ask the GPS for directions. And if she tells him which way to go, he goes the opposite way, and tells her to make him a sandwich.

Though it may be stereotypically true that men don't like to ask for directions...

As a man, I think it falls full well into my male behavior to like having my driving directions handed to me on a 'silver platter' so to speak, by the GPS.  

I like the fact that I don't have to put an ounce of effort into thinking about where I need to go.
No looking at maps, no figuring out the best route.  Just drive and listen to tunes, next thing you know, I'm there.

My first purchase of a GPS was in fact the result of trying to use my wife as my GPS.
She would hold the map and say turn here, turn there.  
However ultimately there were too many, "Ooh, you should have turned back there."  Arguments ensued. Embarrassed

I ultimately saved my marriage by buying one of the very first released Magellan Roadmates for about $1400.00.   
Sounds pricey, but it was worth it.  Big smile

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 9:17pm
We got our GPS on Overstock for like...$100 something. That was back when it was actually a good website; now-a-days it's just another overpriced load of sh*t.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 1:52am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

Though it may be stereotypically true that men don't like to ask for directions...

As a man, I think it falls full well into my male behavior to like having my driving directions handed to me on a 'silver platter' so to speak, by the GPS.  

I like the fact that I don't have to put an ounce of effort into thinking about where I need to go.
No looking at maps, no figuring out the best route.  Just drive and listen to tunes, next thing you know, I'm there.

My first purchase of a GPS was in fact the result of trying to use my wife as my GPS.
She would hold the map and say turn here, turn there.  
However ultimately there were too many, "Ooh, you should have turned back there."  Arguments ensued. Embarrassed

I ultimately saved my marriage by buying one of the very first released Magellan Roadmates for about $1400.00.   
Sounds pricey, but it was worth it.  Big smile

I was driving. With wife navigating in Spain (2003). I still use maps vs GPS. She told me to turn on highway 55. We were going to a city on the coast. We ended up on top of a mountain. She had no concept that highways go two ways!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
hour_glass View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hour_glass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 11:14pm
I actually love this commercial. :P my boyfriend also keeps on with the whole "women are bad drivers" thing, simply because they generally tend to be "slower/safer" - that doesn't mean they are worse. Both my mom and I are much better/safer than my dad, my brother, and my boyfriend.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 12:19am
Originally posted by hour_glass hour_glass wrote:

I actually love this commercialHeart (blah blah blah....). :P my boyfriend also keeps on with the whole "women are bad drivers" thing, simply because they generally tend to be "slower/safer" - that doesn't mean they are worse. Both my mom and I are much better/safer than my dad, my brother, and my boyfriend.
AngrySILENCE! LOL
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 1:53am
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
dreamtreedown View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamtreedown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 3:42am
+1 to you, sir.
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 3:22pm
While I completely disagree with gender & driving (for every bad female driver there's an asshole male driver just around the corner and vice versa), every time I see this commercial I imagine what the guy's response might've been as to why she received a bonus safe driving check:  "Clearly it must be because you haven't even been out on the road in the last 6 months to get into an accident.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 4:04pm
Even more stereotypical - notice she has a salad in front of her and he has what looks to be the remains of a burger and fries? Because everyone knows stick figure women live strictly for lettuce.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 4:26pm
^^ Nice catch, Mad ... Not to mention manly men eat red meat and only red meat.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

While I completely disagree with gender & driving (for every bad female driver there's an asshole male driver just around the corner and vice versa), every time I see this commercial I imagine what the guy's response might've been as to why she received a bonus safe driving check:  "Clearly it must be because you haven't even been out on the road in the last 6 months to get into an accident.

Or...

"Yeah, that's 'cuz I drive us everywhere.  I drove us to this restaurant, fer Chrissakes!!".

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 5:27pm
^^ "Because I covered for you and lied to the cops, telling them I was the one who driving that night you veered off the road and into the utility pole, remember?"
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Even more stereotypical - notice she has a salad in front of her and he has what looks to be the remains of a burger and fries? Because everyone knows stick figure women live strictly for lettuce.

Yes! Every single ad with a man and a woman, or just women, they're always eating a salad. STOP THAT sh*t. I have never paid for a salad at a restaurant. Show the damn women eating a burger!
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Yes! Every single ad with a man and a woman, or just women, they're always eating a salad. STOP THAT sh*t. I have never paid for a salad at a restaurant. Show the damn women eating a burger!

In commercial land women eat salads with yogurt dressing!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 5:49pm
^^ Disgusting but hilarious LOL LOL
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 12:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic