Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edith Bunker, Rest in Peace...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yeesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edith Bunker, Rest in Peace...
    Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:00pm
Just heard that Jean Stapleton has passed away at age 90...I always loved All In The Family when I was a kid...

"Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life, son...."

Vernon Wormer, Dean of Students, Faber College
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:09pm
NNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I never realized she was still alive

R.I.P.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
yeesh View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yeesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:02pm
Here is a sample of her talent...

"Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life, son...."

Vernon Wormer, Dean of Students, Faber College
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:05pm
I remember it was said Jean didn't go to "Archie's" Carroll O'Conner's funeral.  

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Maybe she hated him
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 12:53am
I'm surprised to hear she was still alive too.

Always sad to hear about another great one from back in the day going.

RIP Edith

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 1:15am
I remember that Maureen Stapleton had passed many years ago, but I knew that Jean was still with us, until now.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 1:56am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Maybe she hated him

All I read was that she couldn't make it.  The two were good friends for decades.  Maybe it was just the fact that she was 80 at the time, and just couldn't take off to go to every friend's funeral, of which I'm sure there are plenty of, at that age.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 2:30am
Might have been travel involved too.

If he was buried in his home town, it was likely some distance from wherever she was living at the time.

I guess everyone just assumes they all live in Hollywood a few miles from each other.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 3:38am
RIP Dingbat.  That is all.
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 11:00pm
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 2:30pm
I had no idea that this thread was here to pay a tribute to Jean Stapleton. I loved the episode when she was feeling the symptoms of menopause and Edith told Archie to "stifle it!". His reaction was priceless, and I'm sure there were a few people in the crew who were cheering her on at that moment, just as we fans were.
One man gathers what another man spills
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 3:38pm
Saw her last night on an old episode of The Naked City circa 1963.

Kind of a "Twelve Angry Men" plot.

Full episode:

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 4:18pm
I absolutely ADORED her.

RIP, Edith

I think the Saturday Night Line up went something like:  Mary Tyler Moore, All in the Family, 2 others and then The Carol Burnett Show.  Good times...
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 4:34pm

^  "2 others"---Bob Newhart would've been one of 'em.

Here's one of the pilots for All in the Family---from 1968 when it was going to be called Justice for All.  Edith and Archie are the only members of "the family" who made it to the actual series.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 4:58pm
From the 2 minutes or so that I watched of it, it seems as though the "kids" definitely had a harder edge to them than Rob Reiner & Sally Struthers.

Same with the original Joseph "Rocky" Rockford in the pilot episode of The Rockford Files. The original actor was some guy who resembled George C. Scott. Kinda gravelly voiced & rough around the edges.

When the show went into production, they had hired Noah Beery Jr., who was a much more affable & "kindly old grampa" type for the part of Jim's dad.

C'mon, man!
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I absolutely ADORED her.

RIP, Edith

I think the Saturday Night Line up went something like:  Mary Tyler Moore, All in the Family, 2 others and then The Carol Burnett Show.  Good times...
'AITF' was the 8 o'clock show on Saturdays for 5 years. 'MTM' was Saturdays at 9 for most of its run, and 'Bob Newhart' had the 9:30 slot for a while. CBS never did have a long-term hit in the 8:30 slot. Even though everything that followed Archie got 'good' ratings, they either  just weren't high enough for CBS's liking(Sandy Duncan's'Funny Face' in '71 and something called 'Paul Sand in Friends and Lovers' in '74), or there were other reasons( 'Bridget Loves Bernie', with Meredith Baxter and David Birney as an interfaith(Catholic-Jewish) couple, was a Top 10 show, but got cancelled because of criticism from both religions; I guess CBS was still sensitive to such criticism  a few years after the Smothers Brothers controversy).
 Ironically, 'MASH' got fantastic ratings following Archie in '73-74, and CBS decided to move it to Tuesdays the next year, paired with 'Good Times'. 
In '75, CBS moved 'AITF' to Mondays, and things were never quite the same.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 6:23pm
I remember a show called "Doc".  It starred Bernard Hughes and ran from 1975-76.  It was hilarious, but I guess not enough.
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 11:37pm
'Doc' lasted about a season and a half, with 'The Jeffersons' as its lead-in. (George and Weezie had the 8:30 slot in early '75).  In the 75-76 season, 'The Jeffersons' dropped out of the top 20, and 'Doc' was doing even worse. Nowadays, a network would have changed time slots, or just cancelled, much more quickly, but CBS kept those two shows in the 8-9 slot until late October '76. 'Doc' was given a completely different supporting cast for that very short-lived season 2, but it didn't matter.
'The Jeffersons' ratings nosedived for a couple of years, before making a big recovery when CBS moved the show to Sunday in '79. 
Always thought it was interesting that NBC's 'Emergency' more than held its own, running Saturdays at 8 for its entire 6-year run. Although it only cracked the Top 30 of the ratings a couple of seasons, it's probably the best a competing show has ever done  when given a lengthy chance against such a ratings juggernaut.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

In '75, CBS moved 'AITF' to Mondays, and things were never quite the same.
Was this the year Archie & Edith took up that "niece" Stephanie? Remember her? When Mike & Gloria left, the show just wasn't the same for me.
Archie's Place just didn't get it for me either.
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 12:11am
No, Stephanie came along in '78, after Mike and Gloria(and Norman Lear) left. '
'75 was the year Mike and Gloria moved into the Jeffersons' house, and that fall, their son, Joey, was born(and Archie was doing some stupid 'minstrel blackface' routine at a lodge party, so he showed up at the hospital in that makeup.)
'All in the Family' stayed at number 1 for '75-76, but most fans agree that the show's decline started that season. With no more Watergate or Vietnam jokes, the show got less-political, and Mike and Gloria became more like irritating neighbors.
It got worse  in '76, when they added Liz Torres as Teresa, a loudmouthed Puerto Rican stereotype, who rented a room at the Bunkers' for a while, after Archie lost his job temporarily. Archie actually bought the bar in '77, but the title change didn't happen til '79.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 12:15am

Was this the year Archie & Edith took up that "niece" Stephanie? Remember her? When Mike & Gloria left, the show just wasn't the same for me.

Archie's Place just didn't get it for me either.

C'mon, man!
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 6:19am
Norman Lear moved on to other things in 1978, and he wanted 'AITF' to end with that episode where the Stivics moved out. Carroll O'Connor and the remaining producers talked CBS into keeping the show going another year. Somehow, even though Stapleton wanted to leave in '79, she agreed to appear in a handful of episodes the next season.
In a way, it's too bad they addressed Edith's death on 'Archie's Place' instead of 'AITF', even though it was still a very good episode..possibly the only one of the spinoff that anyone remembers.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 11:41pm
^^ Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic