Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why they still play "Mrs. Robinson" on the radio.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why they still play "Mrs. Robinson" on the radio.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why they still play "Mrs. Robinson" on the radio.
    Posted: 20 May 2013 at 5:21pm
Just an interesting article about corporate control of the media....

http://www.upworthy.com/the-real-reason-they-still-play-mrs-robinson-on-the-radio
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:09pm
Clear Channel owns all the radio stations, so you can thank them for making every radio station in the country carbon copies of one another.

It's appalling that that is allowed to happen.

Same with the Citizens United decision.

The insanely wealthy will soon control this country & everything that happens in it, politically, economically & socially if they don't already.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:12pm
If I recall it was Clear Channel who took away our local Oldies station a few years ago and made it another classic rock station that plays essentially the same 10 or 15 songs every hour as the station we already had.  I was pissed to say the least.  
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

If I recall it was Clear Channel who took away our local Oldies station a few years ago and made it another classic rock station that plays essentially the same 10 or 15 songs every hour as the station we already had.  I was pissed to say the least.

With a good twenty or thirty minutes of commercials every hour to boot.

Before long, it will be one song in between every fifteen minutes of commercials.

Welcome to America Inc.

Radio is probably on it's way out anyway.

People can listen to whatever they want online, so screw Clear Channel.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:32pm
^^ Coincidentally there's actually a song called "Clear Channel (F*** Off)" by some band called Leftover Crack, never heard of them until I googled "F Clear Channel" .. Here's an excerpt of the lyrics:

From town to town and state to state
The same old song you love to hate
The same sh*t stacked upon your plate
rotate again and syndicate
We've been waiting far too long
too change the band, too change the song
through every day and dusk and dawn
We've been brain-washed to sing along
No difference between the hot new single
and the Pepsi ads commercial jingle
The beauty's withered faded crinkle
Just sip the coke and pop the pringle
The boardroom is the dragons lair
They play us sh*t 'cuz they don't care
The clearest channel plays unfair
and we all want you off the air

Sounds about right.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:37pm

Same in Orlando except they changed it to a Spanish Station. There was NO indication the format was about to change. It was the Beatles one minute, Tito Puente the next.
Poiuyt Power!!!
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Same in Orlando except they changed it to a Spanish Station. There was NO indication the format was about to change. It was the Beatles one minute, Tito Puente the next.

Never experienced a station transition while it actually happened. Must be pretty surreal.
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Mainstream radio is SO bad about giving no warning of a format change. They apparently don't even warn the on-air talent either. I used to keep up with my city's radio but it got so frustrating I gave up. SiriusXM comedy channels or bust.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

Mainstream radio is SO bad about giving no warning of a format change. They apparently don't even warn the on-air talent either. I used to keep up with my city's radio but it got so frustrating I gave up. SiriusXM comedy channels or bust.

That's what happened in Orlando. The DJ announced a commercial break, as soon as that happened the supervisor came in and told him his position was terminated, and was instructed to pack up his things and go home.

It's happened to me three times. One when I was living in Michigan. A Station went from Adult Contemporary to "Alternate". The other time it happened was just after I moved to Florida. A "Classic Soul" Station also switched to "Alternate". In 1985 My Father had this experience happen to him. His favorite kind of music was "Easy Listening" (Sometimes called "Elevator Music") and he was on his way home from work when the format changed from Easy Listening to Rap. He came home Angry PCensoredSSED OFF! Angry The first thing he did was pick up the phone, got the number of the Station and called it, when somebody answered he CUSSED THEM OUT!!! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 8:10pm
For what its worth Sirious/XM radio plays the sh*t out of Mrs. Robinson. All of the Simon and Garfunkle work is considered classic.
Is Bob and Tom on Clear Channel? They recently changed the format on the local station and I don't like it, not one bit.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 8:44pm
Who even listens to over-the-airwaves radio anymore anyhow?

Just about every car made comes with satellite radio. Soon, they'll all have some kind of mobile wifi crap that you can get Pandora, etc., on & the radio will just bebroadcasting a hissing noise.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 8:48pm

^^ Coincidentally there's actually a song called "Clear Channel (F*** Off)" by some band called Leftover Crack, never heard of them until I googled "F Clear Channel" .. Here's an excerpt of the lyrics:

From town to town and state to state

The same old song you love to hate

The same sh*t stacked upon your plate

rotate again and syndicate

We've been waiting far too long

too change the band, too change the song

through every day and dusk and dawn

We've been brain-washed to sing along

No difference between the hot new single

and the Pepsi ads commercial jingle

The beauty's withered faded crinkle

Just sip the coke and pop the pringle

The boardroom is the dragons lair

They play us sh*t 'cuz they don't care

The clearest channel plays unfair

and we all want you off the air

Sounds about right.

They should strap down the Clear Channel executives in chairs & force them to listen to that at high volume over & over again for like 24hrs. straight.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Who even listens to over-the-airwaves radio anymore anyhow?

Just about every car made comes with satellite radio. Soon, they'll all have some kind of mobile wifi crap that you can get Pandora, etc., on & the radio will just bebroadcasting a hissing noise.

If you buy a NEW car they throw in the Sat. radio for a few years.
You have to keep up the subscription.
I do listen to broadcast radio, I have listened to Bob and Tom since they started in Indy.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

They should strap down the Clear Channel executives in chairs & force them to listen to that at high volume over & over again for like 24hrs. straight.

Or Justin Bieber music.   He won an award last night at the Billboard Music  Awards.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 11:07pm

I think I gave up on music radio when I got my first cassette deck and car stereo.

But they still play Mrs. Robinson because it's popular.  Back in the 60s, top 40 radio acted as a competition between a certain number of songs to become #1.  Then, they'd play that song once an hour.  All they do now on an oldies station is repeat all those #1 songs.  On top of that, they mainly play the #1 songs that stayed up there on the charts the longest.  Music radio has always been a popularity contest.

Sometimes, I listen to an internet station that plays the more obscure top 40 hits from the 50s and 60s.  They're more likely to play Fakin' It (as they did the other day) than Mrs. Robinson.  The latter was a #1 song in the US, while the former only reached #23.

We hear Mrs. Robinson a lot because we, the people, decided that that's what we prefer.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 11:18pm
In response to Tiz's post

^real music hardly exists anymore it's mostly fecal pop,wannabe country,(c)rap,sh*t hop,and rhythm and buckets.

Thank you, corporate America and congress, now go **** yourselves!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:15am
I had a kindergarten teacher named Ms. Robinson.  She got a lot of grief from that song. 

Quote Mainstream radio is SO bad about giving no warning of a format change. They apparently don't even warn the on-air talent either.

That's what happened in Orlando. The DJ announced a commercial break, as soon as that happened the supervisor came in and told him his position was terminated, and was instructed to pack up his things and go home.

Happens quite a bit.  If the management is nice, they'll call the DJ's at home to say "You're f**kin' fired!" before they waste a trip to come in for their shift.  And, Clear Channel has a famous annual  'massacre' of their radio employees.  To be honest, I don't even think they care if anyone is actually listening to their stations....
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

^real music hardly exists anymore it's mostly fecal pop,wannabe country,(c)rap,sh*t hop,and rhythm and buckets.

Thing is, it's really easy to find "real music". You just have to be willing to listen to other languages or at least imperfect English. XD When you're collecting from nearly 90 different countries, the pickings ain't so lean.

I also repeatedly say it's America's obsession with pigeonholing that makes so much of the music suck. If a rapper ever dared deviate from the approved "content material" for lyrics, they'd probably be condemned by everyone, even if the lyrics were good. Meanwhile, when I've heard rap used in African (Real African, not just the P.C. name for black people regardless of where they come from), Korean, Greek, French, and Russian music where the lyrics are extremely varied in style and content...and typically no/little foul language.

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:36am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

To be honest, I don't even think they care if anyone is actually listening to their stations....

If they care about selling advertising they do.

I've gone to a couple of paid focus groups sponsored by local radio stations, where they'd play a bunch of five second clips of familiar songs & have you rate on a scale how likely you'd be to continue listening if you turned on the radio & it was playing.

That's how they determine their playlists & which songs get played the most, etc.

Forty bucks cash for about an hour's fun. Thumbs Up

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I blame the people who make the music (or the rap).  They have every right to put out whatever kind of music they want.  And listeners have every right to accept or reject it.

I also blame the buying public.  There's plenty of good, varied music out there.  You just have to look for it.  If people don't want to do that, it's no one's fault but their own.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

Thing is, it's really easy to find "real music". You just have to be willing to listen to other languages or at least imperfect English. XD When you're collecting from nearly 90 different countries, the pickings ain't so lean.

I also repeatedly say it's America's obsession with pigeonholing that makes so much of the music suck. If a rapper ever dared deviate from the approved "content material" for lyrics, they'd probably be condemned by everyone, even if the lyrics were good. Meanwhile, when I've heard rap used in African (Real African, not just the P.C. name for black people regardless of where they come from), Korean, Greek, French, and Russian music where the lyrics are extremely varied in style and content...and typically no/little foul language.

There's plenty of good English-language music out there.  If I listen to foreign music, it's for one of the following reasons:

It's from England, so it's in English anyway
It's an instrumental
It's novel or funny to hear a song in another language
It's sometimes nice not to have to listen to stupid lyrics

The following was a bit of a hit in the US in the 70s.  Half the reason was that it was novel.  Also, the lyrics are so stupid, it's better if you don't understand them.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic