Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Chris Kelly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Chris Kelly
    Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:55pm
1990's teenage recording star Chris Kelly, one half of the rap duo Kris Kross, died yesterday of.....

.... meh.

Nevermind.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 2:14am

Rappers don't have long lifespans.  The duet will probably reunite fairly soon.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 2:26am
I think it's pretty sad. Child stars who become well-adjusted adults are the exception, by far. Being a one-hit wonder as a young teenager, then a punchline, then nothing, but having access to super-addictive and stupid substances is a terrible combo.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 2:45am
Meanwhile, Jeff Hanneman of Slayer dies, and nobody notices.

This is what happens when you live in a world of hip-hop kiddies.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 2:55am

^  I just mentioned that in the "." thread.  I figured TS (or one of the other metal fans here) would post about it.  I've never even heard the guy's name.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 2:56am
I don't think I've ever heard a Slayer song.

I didn't even know they were a major league metal band.

I always assumed they were like a second rate band or something.

Metal never was my thing, though.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 3:09am

I liked some metal over the years, but by the 80s, I'd lost much of my interest in it.  There were exceptions, though.  Slayer, however, was not one of them.  At this point, I've reached my limit on "great guitar solos".  There must be 300,000+ "great" guitar solos out there by now.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 3:57am
I've never heard a "great" metal guitar solo.

They usually seem to be more interested in speed rather than making any kind of musical statement.

I like a guitar solo with feeling.

C'mon, man!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  I just mentioned that in the "." thread.  I figured TS (or one of the other metal fans here) would post about it.  I've never even heard the guy's name.

I renamed that thread "." when I wanted to delete it because it was redundant, but couldn't because it had been replied to.  I figured, with no title, it would just fall off the radar.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:17am
We could still turn it into a discussion about feminine products.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:19am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I've never heard a "great" metal guitar solo.

They usually seem to be more interested in speed rather than making any kind of musical statement.

I like a guitar solo with feeling.

I really liked this guitar sound from the 80s.  I dunno if it's "great" or even "metal", but I like it.

Adrian Belew did work with Zappa and Bowie and King Crimson.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:28am
There was a guitar solo in there???? Confused

Sounded like the inside of the Piper Aircraft factory where I used to work.

Down at the end where all the hydraulic sheet metal punching & shearing machines were.

When I hear the term "guitar solo" I'm thinking more along the lines of The Allman Brothers, or Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.

Etc., etc., etc.

Etc.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:53am
Confused...every time I see a child star pass away early, the whole subject of the kid getting milked for all it is worth by others rolls through my brain - and I despise every bit of it. My opinion? These kids don't get to be kids, get confused, and ultimately end up living pretty screwed up lives. One side of me says there should be some sort of 'protective/anti-exploitation laws', the other says this is normal for the USA, and, well...sh*t happens.
He made a name for himself for wearing his clothes backwards.
Wonder if he gets planted that way...hope not.
RIP, CK...you left too young.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 5:01am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I renamed that thread "." when I wanted to delete it because it was redundant, but couldn't because it had been replied to.  I figured, with no title, it would just fall off the radar.

Probably wasn't the best of strategies. That probably would just lead to more views because of curiosity.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 5:22am

There was a guitar solo in there???? Confused

Sounded like the inside of the Piper Aircraft factory where I used to work.

Down at the end where all the hydraulic sheet metal punching & shearing machines were.

When I hear the term "guitar solo" I'm thinking more along the lines of The Allman Brothers, or Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.

Etc., etc., etc.

Etc.

I didn't say there was a solo in there.  I just said I liked the sound.  As I also said, I don't need to hear another guitar solo in my life---whether it's Tom Petty or Slayer.  I've OD'd on 'em.

A good guitar intro, on the other hand, is always welcome.

But I don't think metal guitar solos lack feeling.  In fact, I don't think there's anyone more passionate about their guitar solos than the metal musicians/fans.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 7:02am
If I want to hear a guitar solo, I'll listen to Flamenco music.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 1:56am

I didn't say there was a solo in there.  I just said I liked the sound.  As I also said, I don't need to hear another guitar solo in my life---whether it's Tom Petty or Slayer.  I've OD'd on 'em.

A good guitar intro, on the other hand, is always welcome.

But I don't think metal guitar solos lack feeling.  In fact, I don't think there's anyone more passionate about their guitar solos than the metal musicians/fans.

Yeah, I misread your reply, but still, you could just take out/ignore the word "solo" in mine & the rest would still apply.

Re: metal solos & "passion", you & I apparently have a different definition of the word.

From what I've seen, metalheads are "passionate" about speed, technical accuracy/precision & loud volume.

Almost zero feeling or emotion in that genre.

Unless you consider anger & aggression "feeling & emotion".

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 2:35am

Re: metal solos & "passion", you & I apparently have a different definition of the word.

From what I've seen, metalheads are "passionate" about speed, technical accuracy/precision & loud volume.

Almost zero feeling or emotion in that genre.

Unless you consider anger & aggression "feeling & emotion".

Yeah, I dunno.  I'd have to hear from some of our metal fans here.  But I did once hear some metal guy on VH1 Classic talking about metal's move away from blues, and towards classical-based music---apparently around the time that progressive rock came into vogue.  He made a good case.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:14am
I was actually going to say something like that, Thor. Funny you mentioned it.

Some of the songs I've liked from "metal artists" Are actually unplugged or even a cappella, because that tends to be the only source of any emotion.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:18am
Hey! Wait a minute!
Wasn't this thread about a little dead kid that wore his underpants backwards?
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:38am
Superman died?
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 4:19am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Hey! Wait a minute!
Wasn't this thread about a little dead kid that wore his underpants backwards?

Yeah that's what it started out as, but nobody really cared, so...

Thirty four year old "little kids" who made a fortune annoying the world with some silly-ass gimmick then pissed it away supporting a heroin habit, get little sympathy 'round these here parts.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 2:18pm

^  B-b-b-but he was just turning his life and pants around!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:42pm

^okeydokey, I get it now.

He wore his pants backwards - must have wanted to play to role of the 'heroine' to the 'hero'; he just got the whole meaning wrong, got all confused and sh*t, got hooked on heroin and, at 30-something, ended up just another dead little black kid.

That sucks.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 12:50am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

^okeydokey, I get it now.

He wore his pants backwards - must have wanted to play to role of the 'heroine' to the 'hero'; he just got the whole meaning wrong, got all confused and sh*t, got hooked on heroin and, at 30-something, ended up just another dead little black kid.

That sucks.

Appears to me that he ended up being just another dead grown man who died because he couldn't or wouldn't man up & get his act together.

Just like a lot of other grown men. And women. Black, white & whatever.

There is nothing about the situation he got himself into, that has anything to do with race.

AFAIC, anyway.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic