Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ben Stein and Clear Eyes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ben Stein and Clear Eyes
    Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 5:34pm
Ben Stein has always been politically conservative, even when he first gained attention in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." But, this year, he released the controversial pro-creationism film "Expelled." Even after all of this, the marketing department of Clear Eyes still sees him (no pun intended) as a relevant and effective spokesperson, unless they don't want the business of atheists or people who lean left politically.

Do you think he should stay or go as spokesperson for "Clear Eyes?"
Sponsored Links

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 5:53pm
'Hi, I'm Ben Stein. Political controversy? WOW! The solution is clear. Clear Eyes.'
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 8:24pm
Doesn't bother me. I lean NEITHER way in that I am a strong believer that a person can shine or suck regardless of their political/religious beliefs.  I don't know him personally.  Is he polite to sales clerks?  Does he show concern for the individual feelings of people actually in his life?

It was my years in retail that taught me that.  People attending peace rallies would insult you to tears in line (or try to) if you messed up their all-important order.  I've been verbally threatened with great violence in road rage incidents.  I know someone who cries over the war and lives lost, but then will deliberately try to run passing drivers into oncoming traffic (it's true; he does it out of spite--even if they are not exceeding the speed limit).  And of course, who among us hasn't been victim to extremely vicious online insults under the veil of "anonymity."  Those keyboards don't type those words themselves.  Etc. Etc.  Hypocrites.  Can't stand them no matter what way they lean.  Okay, I'm only a little bitter about that stuff. 

That said, whether one agrees with Stein's opinions or not, he is said to be of extremely high intelligence.  He chooses how to apply that intelligence to his opinions, as we all do.  As long as someone is respectful, well-spoken in how they express their clearly thought-out beliefs, I don't have a problem with it.  Once they start throwing assinine personal insults around, that's when my respect level for them drops.  As far as I've heard, he's never stooped to that level (if I'm officially wrong about that, let me know.)  Anyway, personally I'm not that smart about major political/social issues so I just live by what feels respectable to me and in a way that hurts others actually IN my life the least, and leave the debates to the brains.

Anyway, if anything at all turns me off about Stein, it's his endlessly dry delivery.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by DesertX DesertX wrote:

Ben Stein has always been politically conservative, even when he first gained attention in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." But, this year, he released the controversial pro-creationism film "Expelled." Even after all of this, the marketing department of Clear Eyes still sees him (no pun intended) as a relevant and effective spokesperson, unless they don't want the business of atheists or people who lean left politically.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying that, because he's conservative, he's irrelevant and ineffective?  Or are you saying that because he's controversial, he's irrelevant and ineffective?

Also, do you think there's some sort of relevancy between Clear Eyes and the creationism/evolution matter?  As far as I know, there's been no backlash by liberals against the maker of this product.  That is, I haven't heard that Stein has become a detriment to their sales because of his views (some of which are liberal, by the way).  Until that happens, why would they remove him?

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 10:22pm
He's been doing this ad since at least the beginning of timeLOL

okay best guess 1990 
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

He's been doing this ad since at least the beginning of timeLOL

okay best guess 1990 

That would be the beginning of your time, AN (I just looked at your profile).  LOL

To me, 1990 was practically yesterday.  Confused

Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 10:49pm

Seems to me like you are more concerned about his politics than you are about how much the commercial sucks. There are plenty of forums out there for that crap. So let's stick to the commercials.
DesertX View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

Seems to me like you are more concerned about his politics than you are about how much the commercial sucks. There are plenty of forums out there for that crap. So let's stick to the commercials.

This IS about the commercials, which are getting old and stale anyway. This is also about whether or not Ben Stein is still a viable spokesperson for anything after "Expelled." If there is a forum to discuss the politics of the spokesperson, and I will be glad to let Nathan move this topic over there. This is an interesting discussion topic given that left-leaning celebrities have been pulled from ad campaigns because of their beliefs, but the same does not happen on the right.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 12:17am
Great.... A n00b who wants to shove politics down our throats, instead of discussing commercialsDisapprove
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

Great.... A n00b who wants to shove politics down our throats, instead of discussing commercialsDisapprove

Skibs, DesertX is an Honor Roll, like yourself. Not a noob. Continue on.......
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 1:11am
I don't think DesertX's post is either irrelevant or inappropriate here.  In fact, it's more related to commercials than some of the many topics we've discussed.

If it heats up, Jimbo or I can move it into the political section.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 1:17am
DesertX, I'm curious as to which liberal celebs have been removed from product endorsements because of their political views.

DesertX View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

DesertX, I'm curious as to which liberal celebs have been removed from product endorsements because of their political views.

Rosie O'Donnell and her Kmart relationship was severed after her on-air skirmish with Tom Selleck. But, then she was after all doing commercials for a company that was doing something against her beliefs.

Maybe there isn't a double standard. John Mellencamp, known for his leftist politics, let Chevrolet use his music to promote pickups.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 1:30am

Rosie O'Donnell and her Kmart relationship was severed after her on-air skirmish with Tom Selleck. But, then she was after all doing commercials for a company that was doing something against her beliefs.

Maybe there isn't a double standard. John Mellencamp, known for his leftist politics, let Chevrolet use his music to promote pickups.

As far as Rosie O'Donnell---yeah, her anti-gun statements went against KMart's commercial interests.  I don't think it was so much based on politics, as it was on credibility.  And image.  This new image of O'Donnell's was not what KMart had signed up for.  If Ben Stein suddenly went blind, Clear Eyes would drop him as spokesmen, too, no doubt.

I'm not sure what you're "driving" at as far as Mellencamp.  Leftists drive trucks, too.  Some of them even buy Chevys.  I know, I know---they're supposed to drive Priuses...

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 2:27am

I know, I know---they're supposed to drive Priuses...

...or maybe they should be called Prii  (pre-I)

Back to the topic at hand.  It's a weird thing I keep hearing from the staunch freedom of speech advocates.  The left seems to be the biggest and loudest about the freedom of speech, especially if that speech is about drugs or something incredibly perverted.
However as soon as someone expresses their freedom of speech for conservative reasons, the question is raised about whether or not they should be allowed to be in any position of influence.

britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 2:52am
I think part of this issue is also..Ben Stein is hardly a divisive character.  Unlike Rosie O'Donnell, who even if she ever had something worth listening too, I would not listen.  Simply for the way she conducted herself in public.   I tend to shut down with people who "foam at the mouth'. 

Ben Stein isn't really a lightning rod for controversy.  But then again, hey give it time. We are discussing him right now. 

Perhaps the makers of Clear Eyes don't see themselves as a product that would potentially be boycotted as a result of his involvement.  He is a low key character. 

He also may have had a contract to finish out his work for them.  Give it time.  There might be some fallout.*

*not that i care one way or the other. 
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 3:03am
It's doubtful than anyone outside of churches will ever see "Expelled" anyway, so it's doubtful that it will have any effect on the sales of Clear Eyes. As for Ben Stein himself, he's no Anita Bryant. Besides, Stein has a high "likability factor". He seems like a quirky eccentric mild-mannered old uncle.

I say let him stay.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 3:04am

*raises hand* "Same here"

ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

fourstringdrums View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourstringdrums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 7:22am
His politics aside, how can you hate on Ben Stein, really :)

Dad! The cable is out again CAN YOU FIXTH THIT!?
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 7:32am
Who hates Ben Stein?
Anyone?
Bueller?
Bueller??
Bueller????
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 8:02am

Honestly, I think that he should stay.  So what if he has always been politically conservative?  What does that have to do with him being a spokesman for a product?
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 4:38pm
I agree. Since when do politics matter in regard to what kind of eye drops somebody uses? And as for "Expelled", why should his opinions on everything suddenly be disqualified just because we may not agree with him on some things?
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 3:17am
Thank you!
nickdawg View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 8:23am
Ben Stein is an irritating douchebag.  His shtick on these commercials is old.  It was old a few years back.

While we're inevitably stuck on politics, I'll comment there too.  He made some seriously idiotic comments about a presidential candidate this week that make me hate him even more.  Fire that jackass!!
OldManAP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldManAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 8:25am
I'm not about to get into political beliefs...I had always felt that I was strongly conservative with a lean towards authoritarian...and then that political viewpoint survey I took a couple of years ago sorta blew that up when it decided that I was a centrist with a slight hitch towards liberalism and libertarianism...

Either way, I just have to like Ben Stein for his scene in "Honeymoon in Vegas"...and also because that performance sets up one of the most comical moments in film, the part where Nicholas Cage asks whether the "airport police" are going to come and put him in "airport jail"...and they do...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic