Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Richie Havens, RIP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richie Havens, RIP
    Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:14am

Richie Havens is dead at the age of 72.  Heart attack.  He'd been singing since the 50s, but is probably best-known for having opened up Woodstock with the following performance (one of my favorites from Woodstock)...

RIP, Richie

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:24am
Saw that on the evening news a few hours ago.

Now he's got Freedom!!!!

Freeedom!!!

Freedom!!!!

Freedom!!!

RIP.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:28am

^  But is he still a motherless child?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 4:04am
No, but sometimes he feels like one.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:09pm
Oh, Richie, right now I wish I could turn back the hands of time and go see you in your heyday... Since I can't do that, I will have to settle for listening on youtube CryBig smile

RIP, Mr. Havens. You were a fantastic musician and will be dearly missed.Cry
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:35pm
I had the pleasure to cook a meal for Richie once when he was performing at a small hall in NJ. He was one of the kindest, nicest men I've ever met.
He talked about his memorable performance at Woodstock. He wasn't supposed to be the first artist on stage. It was supposed to be Tim Hardin, but Tim was tripping heavily on acid and couldn't perform when originally planned.
Artie Kornfeld and Michael Lang pretty much begged Richie to start the festival.
"Freedom" was pretty much an improv song, since Richie had already gone through his song list. If you'll notice when you watch him walking off stage on the documentary, Richie was drenched in sweat because he'd been on stage for such a long time.
Richie said the sweat was partly from the humid conditions, but he admitted to being very nervous.

We lost a very unique man in losing Richie. There has never been anyone kinder than him in the music business.
R.I.P. Richie Havens
One man gathers what another man spills
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic