Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Geico motorcycle "Midnight Rider" abomination.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geico motorcycle "Midnight Rider" abomination.
    Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 5:17am
Ugh. Dead

Not only have the turds at Geico cheapened the hell out of one of my favorite songs of all time, the fact that they are using a song in which two of the band members at the time of the recording DIED IN MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS... to advertise motorcycle insurance, is about as bone-headedly stupid & in poor taste as anything I can imagine. 

Just another reason to hate Geico & Geico commercials.

Makes me long for the cavemen.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 5:34am
Cry...if only Duane and Berry had GEICO Insurance!
~~~
I've long wondered if GEICO had even a clue how tasteless of a move it was to make this line of commercials using that song - especially considering both Allman and Oakley played on the original recording, which I believe is being used in the commercial.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 5:56am
It absolutely is the original version with both of them playing.

I just saw it for the first time about a half hour ago.

I'm sick of hearing those great 70's songs used in commercials anyway, but this one I really don't like.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 5:58am

I was just thinking that Freebird might've been a better choice ("flying" down the highway, the "free" part going along with the idea of cheaper insurance rates).  But then I remembered Freebird was about Duane Allman.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 6:03am
Maybe Arlo Guthrie's "Motorcycle Song"...

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 6:27am

Holy sh*t.  I'd just looked that one up on Youtube before I posted my last comment.  I'd forgotten about it till this thread.  Never liked it much, though.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 6:36am

There's always...

and...

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 6:39am
I think B2BW has been used before.

Possibly even by them.

C'mon, man!
JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 10:53pm
In their defense, it might not have been something that was ever thought about. Not everyone in the world knows that they both died in a motorcycle accident. I didn't know that until just now. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by JasperGretsch JasperGretsch wrote:

In their defense, it might not have been something that was ever thought about. Not everyone in the world knows that they both died in a motorcycle accident. I didn't know that until just now. 
Well...I can see *that*, but what is MORE of a concern is that GEICO HAD to acquire permission from whomever has current rights to Allman Brothers music - so the real question might be more in line with, oh...say...is this an Allman Brothers 'sell-out', or did GEICO go to www.greenlightmusic.com?
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:12pm
It might be - forgive me if I'm wrong - that the Advertising companies themselves pay for music rights, not the individual companies. Would definitely explain strings of commercials all have the same/similar songs.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:12pm
Is it evil of me to want Mr. Moneyman to crash into the back of a semi?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:14pm
^  Yeah, Pa.  My guess is that there's a buncha lawyers handling matters such as this, and their main criteria is how much they can rent the song out for.  And the rights for them to do that, probably come from whoever had the original rights to that song---be it Gregg Allman or the estate of Duane or whoever.

I also see that this commercial's been talked about in articles on the net, for the reason stated here.

I'd like to hear Gregg weigh in on this.  My guess is that he never will.  It's all money in the bank, and it's probably out of his hands, anyway.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

It might be - forgive me if I'm wrong - that the Advertising companies themselves pay for music rights, not the individual companies. Would definitely explain strings of commercials all have the same/similar songs.
Not that it matters who pays for the rights, more the matter the rights are up for grabs, all in the name of the almighty greenback.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:23pm
Isn't there something in the copyright laws that says after a certain number of years a song becomes part of the "public domain" & anyone can use it?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:36pm

I'm thinking that maybe the song becomes public domain, but not the performance or recording.  That is, someone else might be legally allowed to use the words and music to Midnight Rider, but the actual recording belongs to "Allman Brothers, Inc" (or whoever). 

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Isn't there something in the copyright laws that says after a certain number of years a song becomes part of the "public domain" & anyone can use it?

THAT is one damned good question, ol'Mule - and well worth looking into....think I will - and THANKS! I never even thought of that, which could readily put a whole new spin on what we see occurring with ads and old music - and the 'thinking process' we go through, along with opinions we form. Yea, it would put the 'tasteless monkey moniker' back on the advertising agency and the companies they are representing.
ADamant View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADamant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:41pm
Perhaps more than you ever wanted to know about public domain timing 'n' such. Scroll down for sound recordings.

http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

Sorry if this doesn't show as a clickable link; I don't think I have permission to embed URLs yet.
*WARNING* This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm thinking that maybe the song becomes public domain, but not the performance or recording.  That is, someone else might be legally allowed to use the words and music to Midnight Rider, but the actual recording belongs to "Allman Brothers, Inc" (or whoever).

If true, it could have some bearing on an artist's decision on whether or not to let a song be used.

Given the choice between having your version used & (presumably) get paid more, or let somebody else, who you have no say-so over, do some possibly crappy version & f**k it up, & you get paid less to boot, what would you do?

Kinda puts them between a rock & a hard place.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 12:23am

^  I've heard cover versions of songs being used in commercials, as bumper music, etc., and, in my opinion, the ones that sound too close to the originals---the ones that sound too good---are the ones that annoy me the most.  For instance, I saw little point to Quiet Riot's cover of Slade's Cum on Feel the Noize.

Of course, if I heard some obscure female artist doing some typically twee, folk-pop version of Midnight Rider, I might actually get sick.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 12:55am
What pisses me off is when they use celebrity "sound-alike" vocalists to sing their cheesy jingles.

I remember when Glade used to use an obvious James Taylor sound alike to soulfully warble about "plug in scents from Glade."

There was another one, I can't remember the product, who was an obvious Natalie Merchant sound alike, singing some insipid product jingle.

I remember that talk radio finance guy Clark Howard raving about how wonderful she was & how he wanted to hear more from her. I sent him an email asking him why he didn't just buy some albums by Merchant, the actual star she was an el-cheapo imitation of.

Never got a reply.

Seemed to be more common in the 90's.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 3:32pm

I'm really getting sick of this commercial.  I like hearing the song, but then I look up (which I can't seem to help) and see that guy with the money flying off of him.  Too stupid.  Time to retire it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic