Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Audi - Chicks Love Bad Boys (And Forced Kissing)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi - Chicks Love Bad Boys (And Forced Kissing)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audi - Chicks Love Bad Boys (And Forced Kissing)
    Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 3:34pm
I guess this was originally a Super Bowl ad but no one commented on that thread and I honestly don't remember seeing it then, but it's airing now with a lot of frequency. I went searching for the video and found a lot of backlash blog posts just like this one. I'm going to tear into this one too.

Some average looking dude is going alone to the prom. "Lots of people go alone" his mom says, trying to comfort him. "No they don't" the sister correctly states. People don't go to prom completely alone, at least not in this day and age. Even if you don't have a date to the prom, you either go with a group of friends or you don't go at all. Apparently we're to believe that this kid has no friends and can't get a date, a real loser.

But what's this? Dad decides to loan him his super slick pussy magnet Audi. Surely this will help his son not be such a dork wad. Well it works, Billy's balls grew 3 sizes that night, just from resting them on the driver seat of his dad's Audi. His balls are so big he decides to park in the principals parking spot. OOOOOO he so bad, ladies love a bad boy. Except prom never happens at the school, and schools don't have designated principal parking. Proms happen at an outside venue with a dining hall and dance floor, and the principal rarely even shows up. So this whole stupid "parks in the principal's spot" thing would never happen anyway. It's just a thin plot to try and show us how big Billy's balls have gotten.

Billy decides to head right on into the dance. We don't see him interact with anyone, greet and friends like a normal kid. Nope, not ol' big balls Billy. He goes right for the cliche prom queen, grabs her by the arm, and KISSES HER. She probably doesn't know this kid at all, and if she did she probably hates him like the rest of the school. Her face doesn't move from visibly shocked. There is no disgust, no smile, nothing. This woman is horrified. Over her shoulder is the cliche prom king, ready to f**k Billy up and toss his bloody body in the dumpster out back, right?

Ha ha no. Billy gets back into his Audi and leaves with just a black eye, and a big dorky smile on his face. A completely cliche single punch black eye. Ok, this is 2013 and we're right smack dab in the middle of bully culture. There is no way in hell that scrawny POS made it out with a single black eye. His nose would be bloody, his face would have cuts, and his suit would likely be torn. He forces a kiss on the most popular girl in school just to show he's somehow a rebel-douche-asshole now, because ladies love that sh*t right? I'm sorry, that's really sick and not heartwarming or cute at all.

I have no idea what the target market is for this ad! Is is dorky high school boys who dream of being douches and getting girls instead of "nice guys" who get friendzoned? Is it the dad's of such sorry wastes of sperm? Is it said dorky high school boys but all grown up wishing to relive their failed glory days? Is it the mom? Who is benefiting here? All I get from this ad is "stop being a loser, get an Audi, grow some balls, get the girl (even if the girl doesn't want you, but that's not a problem). As if women are some prizes to be stolen and being bad is the only way to get it. Honestly, this ad is pure trash thought up by people completely out of touch with reality. People who think proms happen at high schools, and forcing a kiss on the prom queen is harmless fun.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Sponsored Links

zenverak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenverak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 3:53pm
Actually... the woman didn't look horrified to me.  Also, there are MOST DEFINITELY principal parking spots.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 3:53pm

If the girl was reciprocal, and the kid drove off with the girl, the commercial would've made more sense.  It'd also end up looking like half the teen flicks out there, but that's another story.

Or maybe if the kid was ugly or something, his action would be more understandable.  Those kids have to be more aggressive, as there'd be no other way he'd ever get a prom queen to even look at him.  Ugly kids like pretty women just as anyone else does.  Still, I wouldn't recommend it.

zenverak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenverak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

If the girl was reciprocal, and the kid drove off with the girl, the commercial would've made more sense.  It'd also end up looking like half the teen flicks out there, but that's another story.

I agree that would have made more sense, but yeah. I dunno, I really don't see too much of a problem with this one overall as I get the point. You get a nice car, you gain confidence to do something you might not have done otherwise. Maybe I am not looking too deep into it or maybe others look too deep into things. I really don't know, haha. 
khg808 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khg808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Ok, this is 2013 and we're right smack dab in the middle of bully culture. There is no way in hell that scrawny POS made it out with a single black eye. His nose would be bloody, his face would have cuts, and his suit would likely be torn. He forces a kiss on the most popular girl in school just to show he's somehow a rebel-douche-asshole now, because ladies love that sh*t right? I'm sorry, that's really sick and not heartwarming or cute at all.

As much as I like and agree with your BIG BALLS BILLY rant (that was some funny chit) if you are attacking this commercial for reality and since you bring up the 2013 bully culture, in reality he would not have rebelled by parking in the principal's spot, kissing the prom queen, and risking the singular punch in the eye of the football hero prom king.

If you wanted reality, he would have loaded Dad's slick pussy mobile with explosives and automatic weapons, accelerated the car to 70 mph and literally crashed the prom, shot the football hero and his entourage, and then raped the prom queen on the hood of the Audi.  The bully culture of the '70s through the 90's has given way to malcontent teenaged spree killers.

Do we really expect, or even want reality in advertising?
The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.

-Mark Twain
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 4:12pm

Originally posted by zenverak zenverak wrote:

I agree that would have made more sense, but yeah. I dunno, I really don't see too much of a problem with this one overall as I get the point. You get a nice car, you gain confidence to do something you might not have done otherwise. Maybe I am not looking too deep into it or maybe others look too deep into things. I really don't know, haha.

Yeah, this doesn't bother me much either.  I just don't care that much about the feelings of prom queens.  There are exceptions.  Sometimes prom queens are prom queens because they're also nice.

zenverak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenverak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 7:29pm
Honestly, to me, the girl looked like she kind of liked the move by the kid. It may not be that he was a rebel, bad boy, as much as he had some balls to do something.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 7:46pm

Honestly, to me, the girl looked like she kind of liked the move by the kid. It may not be that he was a rebel, bad boy, as much as he had some balls to do something.

On second look (at 53 seconds in), I see that the girl most definitely enjoyed that kiss.  Plus, she never tried pulling away from him.  And he knew she liked it.

zenverak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenverak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 7:54pm

On second look (at 53 seconds in), I see that the girl most definitely enjoyed that kiss.  Plus, she never tried pulling away from him.  And he knew she liked it.

Exactly. While growing up, I had NO balls when it came to girls. I could have dated some very beautiful girls but I didn't. Why? I didn't ask them out. That is ALL I had to do. ALL. But I was too scared to. Those girls didn't want a "bad boy". They just wanted someone with confidence. lol
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 8:03pm
Never saw that commercial before (and Herzadancer, I love your play by play of it LOL).

Getting that excited about kissing a girl, really?  It's probably a good thing for this douche that Dad's Audi was an automatic, that way he had a free hand to put to good use on the way home while the experience of a kiss was still fresh on his mind.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 8:33pm
I think the only reason there's any semblance of a smile from her is so the adtards can go "see see, she totally liked it", meanwhile that's not realistic.

I think the car=confidence angle is fine. I would have liked to see it play out much differently though, like why does he have to force a kiss on her knowing he was going to get beat up? Couldn't they show him doing the cliche principal park spot, going in and dancing with his pack of dudes but close to another girl, who gives him the once over with a smile, admiring his dancing, they end up dancing together, he leaves in the Audi with his date. It would have been perfect! It closes the loop of him lamenting going alone but coming back with a date because of the confidence the Audi gave him.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 10:09pm

Of course this is just a commercial, and who knows how developed the advertisers wanted to make the story---but part of the reason the kid chose the prom queen might've been to give the proverbial finger to her prom king boyfriend.  The black eye was well worth it.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 10:14pm
So the guy is going home with a black eye and blue balls. But he's driving an Audi for one night.
And he has to go back to school after the prom where Butch(the football player) also goes. That bravery
prolly isn't the same when Mom drops him off.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 10:25pm

My prom didn't have a queen/king thing.  I dunno why.  Maybe we were all ugly.  But aren't they supposed to be independent of one another---that is, voted on separately?  It seems a little too pat that the two would just happen to be dating and/or attending the prom together.  That kind of thing seems to mainly happen in teen shows and movies (geared to adolescent girls who dream of such scenarios).

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 10:45pm

I believe you nailed it when you said it's made by and for a bunch of dorky high school boys trying to relive their failed glory days and dream of being douches and getting girls instead of "nice guys" who get friendzoned. And so the cycle continues, A new crop of young boys learn from the old gaurd now how to be "nice guys" and fail with women. They learn to see women as prizes to be won and learn they are entitled to her because they are a "nice guy" instead of seeing them as people with their own tastes and their own personalities.

Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
khg808 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khg808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 12:14am
Well, you know what they say, the clique of the popular (athletes, cheer leaders and cool people) rule the world for four short years in the universe during high school, but in the end, the geeks and the nerds rule the world because down the road they have more spending power after college and high paying jobs, so maybe that is the target demographic.

Proof:  Bill Gates earns more per minute than the average high school jock scraps together in their lifetime.
The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.

-Mark Twain
zenverak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenverak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 11:56am

I think the only reason there's any semblance of a smile from her is so the adtards can go "see see, she totally liked it", meanwhile that's not realistic.

I think the car=confidence angle is fine. I would have liked to see it play out much differently though, like why does he have to force a kiss on her knowing he was going to get beat up? Couldn't they show him doing the cliche principal park spot, going in and dancing with his pack of dudes but close to another girl, who gives him the once over with a smile, admiring his dancing, they end up dancing together, he leaves in the Audi with his date. It would have been perfect! It closes the loop of him lamenting going alone but coming back with a date because of the confidence the Audi gave him.

It doesn't have to be realistic, but then again, this is their commercial and their little story. So in their story, she liked it. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 1:53pm

My prom didn't have a queen/king thing.  I dunno why.  Maybe we were all ugly.  But aren't they supposed to be independent of one another---that is, voted on separately?  It seems a little too pat that the two would just happen to be dating and/or attending the prom together.  That kind of thing seems to mainly happen in teen shows and movies (geared to adolescent girls who dream of such scenarios).

Oddly enough our prom didn't either. All the other formal dances did though. We had a winter formal king and queen and a homecoming queen and king. I honestly have no idea how the girl who won our homecoming queen won at all, I don't remember her being popular or involved in any school activities.

I agree with your point though, it would be really odd for a dating couple to win because they usually aren't both running, it would take some sort of "power couple" that are equally liked by the entire school. It just fuels the fact that this ad was written by people who think high school is exactly like every cliche teen movie ever.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 2:28pm

^  We didn't have any queen/king thing---ever.  This was the early 70s, and maybe such things were seen as "uncool".

We did have a "class legacy" thing, though.  Most popular, best looking, funniest, etc.  These "awards" were given on one of the last days of school.  It was held in the auditorium, and the winners had to go on stage to accept their respective awards.

A girl I'd dated won the "class cutter" award.  When they announced her name, everyone waited.  And waited.  And waited.  First, there were a few giggles from the audience.  Then laughter.  Then a roar...as everyone slowly realized the reason she wasn't coming to the stage.  It was perfect.

zenverak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenverak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 2:40pm

^  We didn't have any queen/king thing---ever.  This was the early 70s, and maybe such things were seen as "uncool".

We did have a "class legacy" thing, though.  Most popular, best looking, funniest, etc.  These "awards" were given on one of the last days of school.  It was held in the auditorium, and the winners had to go on stage to accept their respective awards.

A girl I'd dated won the "class cutter" award.  When they announced her name, everyone waited.  And waited.  And waited.  First, there were a few giggles from the audience.  Then laughter.  Then a roar...as everyone slowly realized the reason she wasn't coming to the stage.  It was perfect.

At first it took me a while. I was thinking you meant cutter as in cuts themselves... haha, but that was perfect. We most definitely didn't have that.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 3:22pm

Ha!  Never even thought of that.  I'm guessing you're young.  That's kind of a new thing.

The girl cut school with panache, though.  She'd actually drive around the school, honking her horn, letting everyone know she was skipping school that day.  One time, she drove her 66 Buick up the lawn to my homeroom windows with the teacher right inside, honking her horn, to try to get me to join her.  I wasn't one to cut school much, though.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 3:41pm

I like this a lot better. It gets the intended message across, but in a way that's not creepy to men or women. I like dudes in Audis. In fact, I married one. But if he had pulled a stunt like that on me, um... NO.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 5:14pm

My prom didn't have a king or queen, either. I liked it better that way because it would have been a total popularity contest and girls like me would have felt even uglier than we already did. I wouldn't have voted for anyone, anyway. They were all douchebags and bitches.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 7:34pm
^  The reason "douchebags and bitches" win at such things is probably because only their clique votes on the matter.  If everyone else thinks it's all stupid, and abstains, then those people win. 

The students voted "Most popular" in my high school were actually nice people---not a bitch or a douche at all.  People liked them, and they voted for them.  A bitch or a douche by the very definition of those words, wouldn't (or couldn't or shouldn't) stand a chance in a popularity vote.

Not that such things really matter, though.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 8:33pm
We didn't even have those type of awards. No class clown, no best dressed, no most likely to succeed, nothing. I honestly thought that was a teen movie invention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic