Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Geico Paul Revere

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geico Paul Revere
    Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 10:22pm
Yes, the folks at Geico are at it again but there seems to be some controversy with this one. I never noticed it as I wasn't looking for it. 16 seconds in, at their answers.

The original commercial is here:
After turning up the volume and jamming a Q tip in my ear(owww!), I heard the "words".
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 10:37pm
LOLDaaaamn! What kind of pervert does it take to immediately spot that?!!! Only someone suffering from sone serious dain bramage would notice that co-inky-dink, I swear.
Now, I didn't care for this commercial to begin with - in fact , I had forgot about. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 11:16pm
I missed it. Can you tell me what I missed?
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 11:23pm

Stop at 16 seconds in, zoom screen to about 200%.

'Think Filthy'.

Take a look at the dancing Paul Revere, notice the candle in front.

Certainly it was unintentional...Tizzer, please correct me if I missed it entirely.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

'Think Filthy'.

Certainly it was unintentional...Tizzer, please correct me if I missed it entirely.

The candle is in front of his  crotch...thats it?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 11:55pm
I think that is what Tizzer must mean, unless it is the candle in the back, which looks a little more like a light bulb.
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 12:23am
Pretty sure the "candle crotch" thing was on purpose, to make the commercial "buzz." 

I'm so freaking tired of these commercials, especially the Vaudevillian Douchenozzles.  They need to fade into obscurity, already.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 3:35am
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

Pretty sure the "candle crotch" thing was on purpose, to make the commercial "buzz." 

I'm so freaking tired of these commercials, especially the Vaudevillian Douchenozzles.  They need to fade into obscurity, already.
LOLEasy to get pissed just thinking about someone lighting up 'lil'MisterJohnson' there, doesn't it, EM? I'd be all spread-eagle in the snow...
JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 12:43pm
Are people stupid? They're saying blacksmith. You can't trust YouTube captions. 
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 1:26pm
WTF is a pot stew sunday? Geico needs to be taked out back and shot.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:07pm
Why did they have to do this WHY?

This commercial campaign must END it's getting ridiculous!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Lucian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 3:49am
The "musicians" are the worst. Same stupid mandolin doodle everytime. HATE it.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

'Think Filthy'.

It's not the candle.  The "controversy" was over a supposedly racist element in the original version of the commercial.  It's right there in the link Tiz provided.  He even stated that the video he posted was not the original.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 10:00pm
^^ Thanks..
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 10:03pm
This is a commercial made by morons for morons.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

'Think Filthy'.

It's not the candle.  The "controversy" was over a supposedly racist element in the original version of the commercial.  It's right there in the link Tiz provided.  He even stated that the video he posted was not the original.

I honestly don't see it, but then I hate those commercials so much I don't like watching it over to try to see it. It would suck anyway you slice it.
AdAnalyzer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 12:25am
I read the article and watched the vid, but I really didn't see it. It just all seemed stupid to me. Sounds like some conspiracy theorists need to find a hobby.
Commercials are awesome, except the annoying ones.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 9:56am
Generally
Excruciatingly
Irritating
Commercial
Organization
Dead Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Dead

Poiuyt Power!!!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 2:55pm
Lol, love the acronym. I'm gonna share that with my best friend who also likes commercials.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

'Think Filthy'.

Thanks - never bothered to read the article, but when I did (and watched the original video), there it was...and I guess I am at a loss how Geico came up with the slur. Unintentional? I do not see how.  
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 3:40pm
If that was actually what was said, I can't figure out what would possess anybody to actually put a racial slur in their ad. It just seems like asking for bad PR. Reminds me of that controversy with the talking doll that a lot of people thought said Islam is the light.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by AdAnalyzer AdAnalyzer wrote:

If that was actually what was said, I can't figure out what would possess anybody to actually put a racial slur in their ad. It just seems like asking for bad PR. Reminds me of that controversy with the talking doll that a lot of people thought said Islam is the light.
I believe we either have, or had some 'copy editors' as members. I do not know what the eqivalent job would be for commercials - 'video editor'? ForumAdmin would know.
In any case, seems something so obvious should have caused a 'red flag' to go up and this to never have made it to the airwaves - unless it was an intentional 'sparking of controversy', just to get Geico's name in the news. The more one hears a name and can readily associate it with a consumer product, the more likely they are to purchase that company's product (no matter the context or light, in which they her the company name)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 4:42pm

The question seems to be whether the charaders said "blacks" "monkeys" "baboon" or "blacksmith" "baboon".

It's all a bunch of nonsense.  People are imagining they heard something racist, as if GEICO is, for some reason, putting subliminal racist messages in their ads.  But it seems that if you yell at the advertisers over some slight that you're imagining, they'll remix or rerecord the audio so as not to offend your imagination.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 5:06pm

Truthfully, I have no idea what they said. If I listened to commercials closely enough to suspect a conspiracy, I probably am missing something in my life and should consider addressing that.

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 5:59pm

Truthfully, I have no idea what they said. If I listened to commercials closely enough to suspect a conspiracy, I probably am missing something in my life and should consider addressing that.

LOL. True. I'll admit I"ve been offended by things I might consider racism in commercials, but I'm not seeing that in this ad. Just a not funny, annoying commercial with those two jacksasses at the end
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic