Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AT&T Internet - "Justin's a Vegetarian!!" (No vid)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AT&T Internet - "Justin's a Vegetarian!!" (No vid)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AT&T Internet - "Justin's a Vegetarian!!" (No vid)
    Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:34pm
Couldn't find a video anywhere, but the commercial is another one of those Dad bashers.  It starts out with the teenage (late teen) daughter freaking out when she sees mom has prepared a meat tray for lunch. She tells her mom that "Justin will be here in 10 minutes" and Mom says that's great.  But .. "He's a vegetarian!"  So it's AT&T to the rescue as they look up quick vegetarian recipes online, find one, and prepare it just in the nick of time. Cue the table where Justin is happily stuffing his face, and Mom & daughter smile at each other while Dad looks dejected since he has to 'take one for the team' and eat the veggie lunch.

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:52pm
Haven't seen it, but...

A teenage vegetarian??  A male one, at that?

Chances are he's only a vegetarian because his parents force him to be one.  In reality, he's really looking forward to that meat tray.

Besides, why can't they have both?  Why must Dad suffer just to please some f*ckin' kid named "Justin"?

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 4:14pm
They're more like late teens, the guy could be extreme early 20's.  Possibly they're in town from college or something like that. 

I just saw it again .. it's a commercial for the U-Verse high speed internet for $14.95 a month for the first X months 'promotion.'  Still no dice with a more revised search though.  It could be a promotion only in this neck of the woods.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 10:35pm
She tells her mom that "Justin will be here in 10 minutes" and Mom says that's great. 
So mom looked up and made an online vegetarian recipe all in 10 minutes. Was it a salad? Why couldn't ole dad eat that meat dish?
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 4:18am
They need to start putting TV dads like Al Bundy or Red Forman who don't put up with this crap into ads.

Al, the TV Ad Dad (eating a handful of juicy, dripping meat):  "I know what kind of game you're up to, you unwashed piece of occupier trash.  You beg a meal of rabbit food from some chick, who gets all goo-goo over your faux caring and environmental sensitivity, just so you can get into her pants later.  But let me tell you something, son.  Whatever you do to my daughter, I'll have done to you...."
{{belch}}
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 6:31pm
Some of us on CIH gripe about how often commercials use stereotypes and that are wrong or not valid anymore so saying the teenage boy couldn't be a vegetarian is a stereotype, too.  However, if you look at lists of famous people who are vegetartians, even vegans, you might be surprised at how many are male.  Some are even hunky, macho males.  Just a few weeks ago I read an article about two pro football players that had gone vegetarian--which is almost as hard as coming out if you are in the NFL LOL
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 8:13pm
Sorry...I just don't picture many, if any, teenaged boys being vegetarians on their own volition.  I didn't say they "couldn't" be vegetarians.  I said that if they are vegetarians, it's probably because they're parents are, also.  Teenaged boys are simply not that concerned with what they eat.  Girls might be different because they're often concerned with their weight.

I've known vegetarians, and some have been male.  None are teenaged.

strifeknot View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strifeknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 8:21pm
I voluntarily became a vegetarian at the age of 18, without prompting from anyone.

I don't expect presumptuous right wing solipsists with a persecution complex to get it. They don't get much.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 8:47pm
What about "not many", "chances are", and "probably" don't you get?  I just looked it up.  The percentage of male adults (of any age over 18) in the US (as of 2009) who don't eat meat, fowl or seafood is 3%.  As far as people under the age of 18, it's 2%.  That's pretty well within the definition of "not many".  This is from a vegetarian site, and is based on Harris polls.

And what's with the right wing comment?  One of my best friends since college is a vegetarian and a Republican.  I'm a rightwinger and my meat consumption is pretty low.  If I could substitute cheese for meat and not end up weighing 300 lbs, I would.  This has nothing to do with political bent, even though it sounds like you'd prefer it to be.  In fact, I'm all for vegetarianism, though not the militancy that sometimes goes along with it.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 9:45pm
I can not understand vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. if I ever became one I would miss meat SO much.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
fishingmachine View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fishingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 10:25pm
i wish i could pretend to be morally superior based on my diet
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I can not understand vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. if I ever became one I would miss meat SO much.

You'd get used to it after awhile. Prolly want to stay clear of cookouts so you won't smell hamburgers & steaks cooking on the grill while eating your delicious piece of celery.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 11:22pm
I don't see the point of becoming a strict vegetarian.  An occasional piece of meat's not gonna kill you.  Plus, it'd make socializing (going to restaurants, parties, barbecues) a lot easier.  It might damage one's claim to being "a vegetarian", but that's not important.  That's just ego.

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 11:42pm
"Oooh, look at me! I care about the animals and environment and all you meat eaters are MURDERERS!"

Go suck on a lettuce leaf, you pretentious veggie doofus. If eating meat makes me a caveman, then ooga-booga unga bunga!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 11:58pm
But that's my point.  It doesn't have to be like that.  The friend of mine (a "presumptious right-wing solipsist") who's a vegetarian became increasingly so following vacations to the Far East, where he heard dogs being shot and saw frightened pigs waiting to be killed.  He's since avoided meat.  Nevertheless, when he's had family Thanksgiving dinners, he gets a turkey.  He's neither self-righteous nor militant nor does he try to "educate" people or demand they adjust to his vegetarianism.

It's the zealots for whom vegetarianism has become like a religion, that irk me.  But if it's truly about health or animals rather than about being sanctimonious, I'm fully supportive of their choice.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 3:52am
I'm a vegetarian and I don't think I'm superior to anyone who eats meat.  I wish they didn't or that they ate less meat and less meat from factory farms.  I have NEVER tried to convert someone or made fun of them or pushed my opinion on them.  I have never understood why many meat-eaters seem to feel threatened by veggies.  They do seem to love to push blood, gorey, meat dripping epithets at veggies.  I am not saying that other veggies don't push their agenda but most feel like I do and don't know why we get verbally attacked when we aren't bothering anybody else.

It's funny, but often times on boards or message lists, any time anything is animal-related or humane-animal-related or vegetarian/vegan-related there will be posters who just have to bring up snide, snarky or nasty comments about veggies.  Why? Why do they feel as if everyone isn't like them that we are weird?  It is very immature.

And for all of you who can't imagine not eating meat, well, I have times now when I think if I had to eat meat again it would make me feel physically sick. It's not like I HAVE to eat meat, and since I don't make make anyone else eat the way I do, why don't they stop with the name-calling and leave me and other veggies like me, alone?

And I'm not just picking on you all, I didn't even  ännounce" to my family members when I went veggies years ago but as they gradually found out, I put up with dirty looks, lectures on why being a veggie is bad for me, my mother proclaimed that the Bible doesn't say for people to be veggies--it was actually kind of funny except occassionally you aret treated like a pariah--you'd have thought I would have told them I was gay or dating a man of a different race (not a problem for me but my family would not be happy!)
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Adznem View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adznem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 3:56am
Another candidate for the Elvis-style resolution.Ouch
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I'd become vegan if I had to kill and skin animals (except fish) myself to get the meat.  That part isn't in my skill set or comfort zone.  Until that point is reached, I'll do my hunting in the grocery store....  Wink
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 5:18am
I couldn't be vegan/vegetarian for the simple fact that I'd have to pretty much eat nothing but Quinoa to get a complete protein.

As I see it, if you believe in God/religion, then God put the animals on earth for our use, as food, as clothing, as servants, as companions.

If you're an atheist...Survival, evolution, we're the dominant species....I don't know, I just never understood this mentality.

I could probably go vegetarian...if I were one of the ones who could still eat eggs, milk, cheese...

Does it count if you scrape the animal off the side of the road? 'Cause some vegetarian venison would just be delicious about now...
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 7:20am
I could go vegetarian...if I was imprisoned or something where the only food I was provided with was veggies. And then the first thing I'd do upon being released was go get a big goddamn steak or something.

If you're vegan, it don't bother me, but personally, if there's no meat, I don't eat.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 7:39am

As I said, I have no problem with vegetarianism.  But I do have a problem sometimes with vegetarians.  They're too often as sanctimonious as the most religious fundamentalists.  Just as most people don't want to be preached at by those people, others don't want to be preached at by the likes of the "Meat is murder!" crowd.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

As I said, I have no problem with vegetarianism.  But I do have a problem sometimes with vegetarians.  They're too often as sanctimonious as the most religious fundamentalists.  Just as most people don't want to be preached at by those people, others don't want to be preached at by the likes of the "Meat is murder!" crowd.

My cousin went vegetarian in her late teens but no one in the family disapproved of it or thought any less or differently of her.  She would get a friendly ribbing from us relatives about it but she didn't take offense to it, nor did she try to convert or judge any of us who were chowing down brisket & sausage at family get togethers.

Ron White did a bit on the 'militant' class of vegetarians you're talking about:

"I'm eatin' the cows!" LOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 4:23pm
^  He mentions people who adopt all the other causes that are supposed to go along with vegetarianism.  Those are the people I can't stand.  They're not in it for health or animal reasons; they're into it because it goes with their political views.  On the other hand, there's the militant meat-eaters (Ted Nugent).  Just as obnoxious.  It's one extreme versus the other.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  He mentions people who adopt all the other causes that are supposed to go along with vegetarianism.  Those are the people I can't stand.  They're not in it for health or animal reasons; they're into it because it goes with their political views.  On the other hand, there's the militant meat-eaters (Ted Nugent).  Just as obnoxious.  It's one extreme versus the other.

I heard one say that not eating meat will lead to cannibalism...
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 4:36am
Well, if you lock Ted Nugent and a vegetarian in a room with no food for a month, I think I'd have my money on Nugent to be the only one to leave the room....  LOL

and

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic