Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mama Mia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mama Mia
    Posted: 14 Jul 2008 at 11:14pm
  I hate this commercial.  It is a preview for some stupid musical called "Mama Mia", throughout the preview all you see is a bunch of idiots dancing around singing "Mama Mia, here we go again!" or something like that.  Not only is the constant singing on the commercial for this movie annoying, but does anyone even know what this movie is actually about?

Forget jail, just make someone sit in a room and listen to these Mama Mia previews for a few years straight.
Commercials owe me a new mute button.
Sponsored Links

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2008 at 11:57pm
It's a movie version of a stage musical featuring songs by ABBA.
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 12:27am
Post removed at user's request.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 12:57am
I'm really glad someone else started a thread on this mess...makes me feel as if I've slid back into the mid-70's...maybe earlier.
A lot of folks like it; especially the women...I HATE it.
Get the nerd be-bop suit on...
"The greatest musical I hope to see tank..."

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 1:40am
Not interested in seeing the musical, but I do like a few Abba songs.  When Waterloo started getting AM radio airplay in the early 1970's, I found myself liking it a lot.  I read recently that, a few years ago, Abba passed up an offer of $1,000,000,000 to get back together for a reunion tour.  I guess they don't need the money.  LOL

Here's the German version of Waterloo
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

...When Waterloo started getting AM radio airplay in the early 1970's, I found myself liking it a lot....
Thor - I like you a lot - so don't take this wrong...but, back in the 70's, if I caught a guy singing along to Waterloo, I'd kick his ass...Wink
Of course, I'm older, kinder, and more tolerant, now...maybe.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 2:02am
Naaah, Pa.  I never worried about such things.  I was more a Black Sabbath/Deep Purple/Grand Funk/Lou Reed kind of guy back then, so maybe I had enough "cool" musical taste "cred" to get away with it.

But hey!!  Wait a minute!  Wasn't it you who posted a Loggins and Messina video in the other thread?  Now there's a recipe for some kick-ass!  LOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 2:07am
Matter o'fact, it WAS! AAAAAAAAaaannnnd????!!!Wink
That's one of MissyD's & Self's songs...along with 'Lighthouse' (James Taylor).
I WAS trying to find a video of Loggins & Messina LIVE version of 'Angry Eyes' (from mid '70's, or so...), for today...but, no luck. 
Can't handle Abba - never could.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 3:02am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Matter o'fact, it WAS! AAAAAAAAaaannnnd????!!!Wink
That's one of MissyD's & Self's songs...along with 'Lighthouse' (James Taylor).
I WAS trying to find a video of Loggins & Messina LIVE version of 'Angry Eyes' (from mid '70's, or so...), for today...but, no luck. 
Can't handle Abba - never could.

Just kidding, Pa.  Like whoever you want.  No matter how wimpy.  OK, just kidding.  I always really liked John Sebastian.  And I DID have a Kenny Loggins 'do for a while back then.

There's a live version of Angry Eyes on Youtube, but it's from 2005.

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 1:28pm
Sad to admit, but, my Daughter and I have been known to throw an ABBA CD on the car stereo and sing along at the tops of our lungs!! It's just catchy!EmbarrassedLOL
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 1:46pm
I have worn out an ABBA CD or two! 
Love endures all.
suenewtotx View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenewtotx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 2:17pm
My mom saw the Broadway production a few years ago & loved it, so I'm sure she'll be first in line to see the movie version. 
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by suenewtotx suenewtotx wrote:

My mom saw the Broadway production a few years ago & loved it, so I'm sure she'll be first in line to see the movie version. 

My parents saw it too! My father HATED musicals but found this to be tolerable on the verge of enjoyable!

I think the live Broadway show would be more upbeat than the movie version but since I didn't see it live, and won't watch the movie, who am I to say? LOL
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Bobby View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 6:00pm
To each his own, I guess.  I'm not really in to musicals.
Commercials owe me a new mute button.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Bobby Bobby wrote:

Me neither. Never was. I'd rather watch an opera!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Opera??  Oh God...I'd rather watch Oprah!

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Opera??  Oh God...I'd rather watch Oprah!

LOLLOLLOL 

I saw Rigoletto last year. I got totally into it. And (don't laugh) you'd be amazed how much opera shows up in all the classic cartoons (listen to Bugs Bunny!!!) LOL

JimA View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 1:03am

How can anyone not want to see Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan singing a duet? PinchDisapprove
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 1:13am
Originally posted by JimA JimA wrote:

How can anyone not want to see Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan singing a duet? PinchDisapprove
You've just described "HELL"
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 1:21am
I was never a big fan of ABBA.  Then I saw a concert on PBS that they recorded live in 1979.

I was extremely impressed.  They weren't wimpy as I had supposed.  They really gave it all they had.  It was pretty amazing.  It totally changed my opinion of them.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 1:24am
Originally posted by JimA JimA wrote:

It is awful.  Very karaoke, as Simon Cowell would say.

It doesn't do justice to the fantastic singers that did the original.

Like ABBA or not, those girls could sing.

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 1:52am

OPERA ROCKS!!!!Cool
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

OPERA ROCKS!!!!Cool

Thank you, Big Momma.

As a young girl, we had a neighbor who was a soprano (NO, not Camilla) - On a warm summer day when the windows were opened, you could hear her voice wafting across the ns Even as a kid, I thought it was the most glorious sound in the world. "Mrs. Gordon is singing again!"

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 3:33pm
I am a contralto, I studied singing for years, at one time I practiced for three hours at a time, in Summer my neighbors would yell up and ask me to repeat a particular aria. My favorite opera is Turondot, the music is incredible! you should check it out.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I was never a big fan of ABBA.  Then I saw a concert on PBS that they recorded live in 1979.

I was extremely impressed.  They weren't wimpy as I had supposed.  They really gave it all they had.  It was pretty amazing.  It totally changed my opinion of them.

Nick Lowe's a big fan.  So is Elvis Costello, who included an Abba album in his best albums of all history.  I once saw an interview with him, in which he called Abba "The best pop band in the world"...and he considers himself to be "pop". 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic