Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Shark Steam Mop "Risky Business" dance scene ad...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shark Steam Mop "Risky Business" dance scene ad...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shark Steam Mop "Risky Business" dance scene ad...
    Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 4:45pm
I actually feel sorry for the gal in this ad.

Not just because she's in one more in a seemingly endless procession of cheesy, uninspired commercials that couldn't come up with anything more original than that overused rip off the Tom Cruise Old Time Rock-n-Roll "socks & underwear" dance scene from Risky Business, but that they made the poor thing look like such a goofy-ass DORK in the process.

Just more proof that there is no limit to which some people (especially show business people) will swallow their pride & scarifice their dignity when it comes to money & exposure that could lead to the chance for even more money & exposure.

I pity the fool.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 4:50pm
I haven't been able to handle SHARK commercials since they came out with that vac commercial starring the ChefJimmy-wannabe. Blimey, I tell ya
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 9:41pm
Looks like she's doing an audition for Steaming  Dancing with the stars. Shoulda wore socks & underwear.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 9:49pm
Where did they find the vocal (talent)? for this ad. This woman sounds like a russian athlete.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 11:18pm
The lady dancing actually has some skill, but the style they have her "dancing" in makes her look like a total spaz.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:57am
Exactly.

She's obviously a trained dancer, but the choreography is so over the top, she just comes off looking ridiculous.

I'm guessing "over the top" is what they were going for, but I think they got a little too much of it.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:11am
I think she should...Riverdance!!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:13am
<<shudder>>

C'mon, man!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 5:50pm
OMG The Risky Business routine is very very hackneyed now. Someone please put this this fad out of it's misery. I'm SICK of it!!!!!!!!Angry
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
zerocool View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 5:55am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Looks like she's doing an audition for Steaming  Dancing with the stars. Shoulda wore socks & underwear.

I wouldn't mind seeing her dance like that in nothing but her underwear. She's pretty average looking, but she'll do! Wink
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 6:05am
Can't imagine how that could be even the slightest bit sexy.  Jesus..she looks like a complete idiot.
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

zerocool View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 6:08am
I think I'd get off on the humiliation factor.
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 6:16am
Probably also get a broken nose and a busted lip....LOL...her elbows and knees would be flying all over the place..but then again..I guess that IS  what you are looking for.  

zerocool View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 6:41am
I don't know if I reading too much into your post, but I think you're calling me a pervert or a pig or something? I was just trying to be funny. I really don't want to escalate this. I just don't understand what you're trying to say.

Anyway if not don't worry about it. Uhh... sorry, I guess?
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 6:45am
Lol..zero.....if I wanted to call you a pervert, I'd come right out and say it...but for the record..no..I was making a joke.  That...obviously...went....over...like.....a....lead.....balloon.....Star

zerocool View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 6:51am
It's all good. Sometimes lead balloons work out.

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

OMG The Risky Business routine is very very hackneyed now. Someone please put this this fad out of it's misery. I'm SICK of it!!!!!!!!Angry
  Agreed it's right up there with the She's a Maniac bit from Flashdance. 
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
LiberryGirl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiberryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 8:09pm
I think she is a good dancer, but please let's retire the Risky Business routine.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 9:54pm
I bitched about this one a long time ago.  I included it in a topic about how they always make women look so damned happy/excited/eager to do housework.  Also, do we ever see men doing ads like this?  Most of the time we don't see men cleaning anything but they sure don't dance and do the cheerleading moves in any commercial.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

I bitched about this one a long time ago.  I included it in a topic about how they always make women look so damned happy/excited/eager to do housework.  Also, do we ever see men doing ads like this?  Most of the time we don't see men cleaning anything but they sure don't dance and do the cheerleading moves in any commercial.

Men doing either the "Risky Business" or "She's A Maniac" dancing routine is one of the most abused tropes in advertizing. Kia had the "she's a maniac one" last year and the guitar hero games had the nerdy looking guys in their undies doing the scene from "Risky Business". It's just about always either some geeky looking guy or some fat out of shape bloat nobody wants to see in anything short of a druid robe. At least this time they went with a reasonably attractive chick.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Kris L. Walker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kris L. Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 12:16am
In all honesty, the "Risky Business" scene is an overused meme. The first few times it was done, it was funny. But, over time, it lost its appeal when nearly every television show recreated the scene and it lost appeal. All I can think of doing whenever I see this meme played out again and again is facepalm myself beyond belief. 
 In all honesty, can we please let the "Risky Business" meme retire and find something new and exciting, instead of using an idea that has been done to freaking death! 
Back from an unexpected hiatus. Time to rip ads a new one all over again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic