Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The "SodaStream Effect"....set the bubbles free!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "SodaStream Effect"....set the bubbles free!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberedclub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "SodaStream Effect"....set the bubbles free!
    Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 5:02am

Ugh. The latest unnecessary gadget to utilize a repetitious, annoying sound effect in it's advertising.

I keep hoping someone will catch a bottlecap right in the eye socket.    Ouch

Nice vest at 0:17, by the way....must've borrowed it from that cell phone auction douche.

"Just do it. Is it in you? I'M LOVING IT!"
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 5:19am
Confused...yuppers - good catch.
MissyDWolf wants to go play with one of these at some store and watch all the bottles explode around her, then run away. This is getting to be a problem.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 5:21am
Stupid commercial.

I wish for once that when they push the lever down the whole thing explodes on them so they learn to NOT push the damn thing down!

I'm sorry if that didn't make any sense I'm quite tired and need to go to bed...

G'night!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 11:13am
A Friend of mine has one of those gadgets. Thumbs Up The Sodas are quite tasty, and there is no limit to what you can use it for. For example, use it on Chardonney Wine to make "Poor Man's Champaigne"! Big smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
Timberedclub View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberedclub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

A Friend of mine has one of those gadgets. Thumbs Up The Sodas are quite tasty, and there is no limit to what you can use it for. For example, use it on Chardonney Wine to make "Poor Man's Champaigne"! Big smile

Criminey...I've had to swear off soda per se', but I hadn't considered the alcoholic possibilities of such a device. "Sloe gin fizz" indeed! 
ambrosia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 12:07pm
yeah I just don't get this.  maybe I'm just lazy, or maybe I just don't drink enough soda to care...but it seems like just another gadget that will end up in the back of the cupboard with dust on it after the novelty has worn off.....Confused
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberedclub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by ambrosia ambrosia wrote:

yeah I just don't get this.  maybe I'm just lazy, or maybe I just don't drink enough soda to care...but it seems like just another gadget that will end up in the back of the cupboard with dust on it after the novelty has worn off.....Confused

....right next to the Magic Bullet and that "perfect taco bowl maker" thingy.

Speaking of, easily the grossest kitchen gadget I've ever seen is the make-your-own baby food one...

DeadDeadDeadDead
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 12:29pm
BTW I have a Soda Machine on my "Santa List" this year! Wink If Santa "Forgets" I'll be BEELINEING over to bed Bath and Beyond to snatch one using my "Santa Money". (Just hope I don't get an Airline Ticket like I did last year!) LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
ambrosia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 12:42pm
See, another problem I have with the soda machine though, is....what if the company goes out of business or something, how are people gonna use the machine without the syrups?  Don't get me wrong, if Santa brings you one, I'm happy for ya, I just hope he brings you lots of syrups too Wink
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 1:40pm
The commercial's annoying as hell.  But I like the idea of the product.  Still, the reality of the product is not so great.  You have to buy the machine which ranges from $80 to $200.  Then, you have to buy the carbonator for about $15 to $30 each.  Then the flavors, $5 to $10 each.

The website says that, with their product, soda is only 25 cents per can.  Well, I pay that when I buy a 12-pack of the soda I drink.

So, too much hassle, too much money.  If I want to make my own flavors of soda, I use seltzer and Torani syrup, which comes in a helluva lot more flavors and is probably a helluva lot cheaper than the Sodastream flavors.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 3:59pm

See, another problem I have with the soda machine though, is....what if the company goes out of business or something, how are people gonna use the machine without the syrups?  Don't get me wrong, if Santa brings you one, I'm happy for ya, I just hope he brings you lots of syrups too Wink

These things will carbonize anything that is liquid so you can use drink mixes such as Kool-Aid or Crystal Lite to make your own unique sodas. As I mentioned earlier, the possibilities are ENDLESS!
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

These things will carbonize anything that is liquid so you can use drink mixes such as Kool-Aid or Crystal Lite to make your own unique sodas. As I mentioned earlier, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

I was on a kick a few years ago making all sorts of flavored-sodas.  I used syrups, juices, powders and even flavoring extracts.  Some of the sodas I made...

Vanilla-black licorice
orange-peppermint
orange-chocolate
grape-cola
vanilla-peppermint
lemon-vanilla
lemon-coconut
cherry-coconut
banana-coconut
cantaloupe

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 4:23pm

See, another problem I have with the soda machine though, is....what if the company goes out of business or something, how are people gonna use the machine without the syrups?...  
WinkEver been to a 'Flea Market'?
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 4:49pm
The biggest thing I have against 'Soda Stream' is the 'effect' - I'm scared of it.
Whenever I turn on the water in the kitchen sink, it causes an involuntary refllex which sends me running to the restroom. I even have a hard time filling up a 10-cup coffee maker without a trip to the urinal.
'Soda Stream'?
I'd probably imitate it, right on the spot and all over the floor.
I'd probably 'set some bubbles free', too.
It wouldn't be a pretty sight.
In our Den, the 'Soda Stream would have to be set up in the bathroom.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 4:55pm
The commercial is stupid.

However, I love my soda stream. I use it mainly to carbonate water. Since I've had to take a lot of medicine recently that upsets my stomach, it really comes in handy.

I also used it to make homemade ginger ale. Delicious and soothing! Thumbs Up
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

The commercial is stupid.

However, I love my soda stream. I use it mainly to carbonate water. Since I've had to take a lot of medicine recently that upsets my stomach, it really comes in handy.

I also used it to make homemade ginger ale. Delicious and soothing! Thumbs Up
WinkThanks for the 'Thumbs Up' on the product, Y. MissyDWolf really wants one...that gives me a good idea for a present.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 5:44pm
I would be a lot more into this product if it wasn't for the fact that you can't just keep one air tank and refill it anywhere Co2 charges are sold. You need to swap it out at Bed Bath and Beyond for another precharged tank. What a scam. There's no reason to make a proprietary non fillable tank except to be a profiteering POS. I did find some companies selling adapter kits to get around this which is nice, but I still don't feel like dropping 100 dollars on one.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberedclub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I would be a lot more into this product if it wasn't for the fact that you can't just keep one air tank and refill it anywhere Co2 charges are sold. You need to swap it out at Bed Bath and Beyond for another precharged tank. What a scam. There's no reason to make a proprietary non fillable tank except to be a profiteering POS. I did find some companies selling adapter kits to get around this which is nice, but I still don't feel like dropping 100 dollars on one.

WHAAAAAATTT???!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!? AngryAngryAngry

The scumbags! I didn't even know there was a special tank that had to be purchased...so, that's the syrup AND the propellant you have to keep buying?   Shocked

Cripes, it's like a propane grill...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Timberedclub Timberedclub wrote:

Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

WHAAAAAATTT???!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!? AngryAngryAngry

The scumbags! I didn't even know there was a special tank that had to be purchased...so, that's the syrup AND the propellant you have to keep buying?   Shocked

Cripes, it's like a propane grill...
ConfusedGotta agree with ya there, Timbered...and, well - HD? Thank You for that *very valuable* little piece of information - it never crossed my mindlessness.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 8:09pm
I guess it's 15 dollars for a tank swap. I don't know how much it is for a brand new tank without an empty swap. I'm pretty sure the last time I filled a much larger paint ball canister with Co2 it was like 2 dollars. Considering I spend less than 10 dollars a month on soda I really don't see the value. Also I think in the Sodastream FAQ somewhere is addresses the refill situation by saying they provide "food grade" Co2 and it's unsafe to use just any old Co2. What??

I researched a lot because I was thinking of putting one on my Christmas list, but I figured I would end up using it a few times and getting bored with it. If one shows up at Goodwill I might try it.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 7:27am
I despise this commercial, especially the kid and the smarmy looking guy in it. As Thor said above, you're not really saving money on sada buying it since you have to buy all of the other crap to make soda.

Luckily I'm sure that this thing will vanish soon enough and I'll be spared seeing the ad.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

As Thor said above, you're not really saving money on sada buying it since you have to buy all of the other crap to make soda.

Luckily I'm sure that this thing will vanish soon enough and I'll be spared seeing the ad.

Plus, you have to find a place for it on the counter, clean it, etc.  I think, like many other such products, it's better in concept than reality.  Chances are, you'll use it for awhile, and then get tired of it when the novelty wears off---and that'll be long before the product's become cost-effective.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

I despise this commercial, especially the kid and the smarmy looking guy in it. As Thor said above, you're not really saving money on sada buying it since you have to buy all of the other crap to make soda.

Me too I hate the kids expression it screams "#1 douchebag".
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 10:02pm
Another commercial with loud NOISE NOISE NOISE!!! The little women likes her 7-up incider but I don't expect to have one of these contraptions here in the near future.
dizrythmia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 5:04am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Plus, you have to find a place for it on the counter, clean it, etc.  I think, like many other such products, it's better in concept than reality.  Chances are, you'll use it for awhile, and then get tired of it when the novelty wears off---and that'll be long before the product's become cost-effective.
exactly. if you're a huge diy'er, then this might be up your alley and you'd stay with it long enough for it to pay itself off (so to speak) so you'd actually get to where it becomes cheaper than canned/bottled soda.

i know someone whose parents drink soda water by the litre. they use it for everything. sometimes they just drink it by itself, sometimes they use it as a mixer for spirits. i asked said friend if they'd ever thought of buying a soda stream. turns out they had one, but the carbonator thing ran out (the carbon dioxide thingie i suppose) and they just never bought a new one. granted, these parents are the laziest of lazy so even for something like water where they wouldn't even be buying syrups (they don't drink soda) and would only need to buy that pump i assume, that seemed like too much of a hassle so instead they pay through the nose to buy soda water at the grocery store. but still, i'm sure they're not the only people who have soda streams sitting in a closet somewhere collecting dust because the novelty wore off or they ran out of an ingredient and it became too annoying to run off to bed, bath, and beyond every time they needed something. most grocery stores are open 24/7, bbb...not so much.

granted if it were me, i'd do what i call my noah's ark thing - for stuff like that (where replacing it is a hassle, for mail order stuff and the like) i buy two at a time so i always have an extra on hand when the one runs out. but i can't drink carbonated beverages (my migraine medication makes them all taste flat and kinda weird) so i'm rambling pointlessly, as i usually do. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic