Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March of Dimes 'Pregnancy Time Lapse ' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March of Dimes 'Pregnancy Time Lapse ' (video)
    Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 6:45am
Cry...I swear we didn't deserve THIS!
It was a lonely night, I was off-center, and she *looked* cute, at that moment.
Well, it felt o.k. at the time.
NOW...
She don't look so durned purty, doncha know...
She's dun squirted and blown-up like a big ol' balloon...got a chimp in the oven, cancha tell!
Ain't MINE - I'll swear to the almighty Jerry Springer on the Maury Show, I swear!
And we all have to listen to the TERRIBLE, possibly WORST EVER rendition of the Buddy Holley-classic, "Everyday".
...and, YEA! DON'T 'SPEED UP THAT DELIVERY'! Lemmee get a 'head start' on down the interstate, thank you very much! Got places to go, names to change, hair to color, new identities to acquire...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 3:19pm
I see from the still shot that my assumption from the thread title was confirmed - the obligatory "tummy rub."
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:25pm
STOP USING STOP MOTION!!!!!! STOP MOTION MUST STOP NOW!

The music! Good god The music! What is it? Mr. Whinythroat and The Repeat Repeat Cover Band Tones? WTFF!

and the visuals? BLEUGH not attractive at all!Sick
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:36pm
They should have shown the conception,I must have missed something.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

They should have shown the conception,I must have missed something.
No No No No NO!!!
This commercial *DID NOT* originally show up on 'The Playboy Channel'!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
clamshell View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clamshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:13am
WTH is it with speeding up a pregnancy? I have never even heard of this being done.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:33pm
March of Dimes didn't actually make this video, a woman in the UK did and posted it to youtube. They just used it in their ad because they liked the "realness" of it.

Any other month I would have grumbled at having to see a baby belly because I'm a bitter infertile. But now that I'm cautiously 5 weeks pregnant, this ad makes me smile. Though I really don't get it. Is this really that common of a problem? People inducing before their baby is due? I'm going to bet only like 1% of pregnancies are elective inductions or C sections before 39 weeks. Also, babies can be born anywhere from 37-42 weeks and be perfectly healthy. I think they pointed to some study about more and more babies being born before 39 weeks....but I don't think they said anything about it being ELECTIVE.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 10:01pm
Congrats Heza!!!! Hope it all goes well. Big smile
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 4:05pm
Thanks, it's been a long time coming. Just going insane until the first ultrasound next week when I can confirm there might actually be something alive in there...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

March of Dimes didn't actually make this video, a woman in the UK did and posted it to youtube. They just used it in their ad because they liked the "realness" of it.

Any other month I would have grumbled at having to see a baby belly because I'm a bitter infertile. But now that I'm cautiously 5 weeks pregnant, this ad makes me smile. Though I really don't get it. Is this really that common of a problem? People inducing before their baby is due? I'm going to bet only like 1% of pregnancies are elective inductions or C sections before 39 weeks. Also, babies can be born anywhere from 37-42 weeks and be perfectly healthy. I think they pointed to some study about more and more babies being born before 39 weeks....but I don't think they said anything about it being ELECTIVE.

In the category of "one of those things I've heard but I don't know if it's really true"---it seems a lot of celebrities and wealthy women are having elective C-sections these days.  It's just the way you have your baby nowadays if you're in one of those groups.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 6:03pm
Well once you have one baby by C section, your other children after that will tend to be C section babies too. Not because it's impossible to have a vaginal birth after C section, I really don't know the logistics, but probably because "why not". My friend's first was a C section baby, so the next 2 were all conveniently scheduled. No idea if they were early.

Personally I'm terrified of having a C section. I'd much rather push it out if at all possible.
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 5:02pm
This commercial bugs me because it's one more example of the Cult of the Baby/Mommy Olympics that's been plaguing our culture lately. Women have to have babies to be considered "real" women, but the second they conceive, it's like a contest to see how many things we can micromanage, sacralize, scold them for. 

-Never even look at alcohol or sushi while pregnant (even though studies say a little won't hurt.)
-Endure a long miserable pregnancy, but don't gain any weight. Don't lose any either.
-Be a hero and have a "natural" childbirth (whatever that means). Don't you dare have any pain meds, because then you're not a real hero goddess earth mother.
-Scheduling a C-section is something only Nazis and KKK members would do. You're horrible if you consider it.
-Consume the placenta. Yes, this is a thing.
-Heaven help me, you MUST breastfeed until age 5 at the soonest. Keep that kid latched at all costs. It's "best for baby." (We dropped the definite article long ago.) Who cares if it costs you your job, your marriage, etc. If you can't produce enough milk you must not love "baby."

...and so on, with the attachment parenting, co-sleeping, daycare, language acquisition, etc...

I don't give a crap if women choose to schedule a C-section at 39 weeks, bottle feed from Day 1, and even maintain an identity outside of being a parent. As long as they're taking care of the kid and not abusing it, I don't see how it's anyone else's business. Can you honestly look at a teenager and know whether he was a C-section or a formula-fed baby? 

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just so sick of having "baby bumps" and self-righteous mommeee messages in my face all the time! I'm not against women having babies -- I get that it's a pretty normal thing to do (hell I might even be convinced to try it someday) -- I'm just tired of our culture making it into this magical apotheosis of womanhood. This commercial is just another preachy example. 
ambrosia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Well once you have one baby by C section, your other children after that will tend to be C section babies too. Not because it's impossible to have a vaginal birth after C section, I really don't know the logistics, but probably because "why not". My friend's first was a C section baby, so the next 2 were all conveniently scheduled. No idea if they were early.

Personally I'm terrified of having a C section. I'd much rather push it out if at all possible.

Without being too graphic or gross, it's because the scar tissue from the incision in the uterus could rupture while pushing.  I also was terrified of having a C Section!  Then (I have twins) tiny ambrosia 1 came out the "pushing" way, while tiny ambrosia 2 decided to linger in her space for another hour and the possibility arose that she was gonna have to be a C Section.  I was like OH no, THAT is not gonna happen!  Shocked
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 11:27pm
In The Walking Dead a few weeks ago, there was a woman who needed to have a C-section.  Unfortunately, there was no medical person to help her through it.  So, she handed someone a knife and told her to get the baby out.  She also gave her 13 y/o son a hug, told him how much she loved him, but that he's going to have to be brave and do what he needs to do.  She said goodbye to him, and then the other woman slit her stomach open and removed the baby.  It wasn't clear whether she was dead yet, but she was surely going to die.  The son then had to shoot her in the head to prevent her from coming back as a "walker".

Anyway, I've been wondering what would happen if they didn't remove the baby at that moment.  That is, what would happen if the woman couldn't have the baby naturally, but didn't have a C-section either...that is, if they did nothing to get the baby out.  Can it be put off for awhile?  I know that they couldn't let the baby die inside of her because then, Mom would have a zombie in her womb.  And zombies like to eat.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 11:43pm
LittleO, I don't think I've heard half of that stuff be pushed as necessary since the 80's...

But you might like this:

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 1:46am
I wish they had used the original song at least. That version really f*cking sucked...Dead
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

LittleO, I don't think I've heard half of that stuff be pushed as necessary since the 80's...

But you might like this:

Oh, it's being pushed, all right. You've just been lucky enough to avoid those websites! For some reason I'm drawn to them, I guess the way other people like to watch videos of popping pimples.

Victoria is pretty funny. I'd never heard of her so thanks for sharing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic