Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Window 8 bad remake of Express Yourself

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Window 8 bad remake of Express Yourself
    Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 2:31am
I can't find a video but there's a really atrocious remake of "Express Yourself" for Windows 8 out on the airwaves.

I HATE it! Angry
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

Oldiesmann View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldiesmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 6:08am
Can't find the ad in question, but did find the remake. It's by some group called "Labrinth":

And Microsoft's take on things:

Quote “We selected music from up and coming bands. We didn’t want to use overly popular songs because we wanted to bring the viewer on a journey of discovery, both through the storytelling and the music that accompanies these stories. Sometimes, as in “Express Yourself,” by Labrinth we found a new take on a classic old song, much like the reinvention of Windows,” said Reilly.

More at http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/10/23/windows-8-advertising-campaign-goes-global.aspx

We need a "new take" on that "classic old song" about as much as we need their "reinvention of Windows".

I for one am getting tired of this "cover of a classic song by some artist nobody's ever heard of" trend in TV commercials. I'm beginning to wonder if that's industry speak for "we could get the rights to this version a lot cheaper than we could get the rights to the original version".
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
Cincinnati, Ohio
Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 10:32am
the most overused song in commercials

also, that PR response by the microsoft rep is worse than that mission statement from when mcdonalds adopted that stupid "im lovin it" slogan back in 03
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Oldiesmann Oldiesmann wrote:

Can't find the ad in question, but did find the remake. It's by some group called "Labrinth":

Sounds like it could be the Free Credit Report group.

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 11:49pm
Didn't Kohl's use the original song about 6 years ago?  Another song ruined by rap-crap.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 3:51am
Originally posted by timdubya timdubya wrote:

Didn't Kohl's use the original song about 6 years ago?  Another song ruined by rap-crap.

Isn't it a song by Eazy-E in the first place? Not saying modern rap hasn't totally outdone older rap in terms of crap.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

Originally posted by timdubya timdubya wrote:

Isn't it a song by Eazy-E in the first place? Not saying modern rap hasn't totally outdone older rap in terms of crap.

Naah.  The song goes back to 1970.  It was a hit by Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Band.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 9:07pm
On second thought, the original song wasn't that great either. It's annoying as the new one equally. Thumbs Down
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Kris L. Walker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kris L. Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 5:40pm
This commercial is awkward and yet unoriginal all at the same time. The main problem is that horrid rendition of "Express Yourself" and the next major problem is that girl's weird ass smile, it makes a person queasy and want to slap the ever loving daylights out of her and that foolish dingbat singing. Both of them deserve a huge smack. POW RIGHT IN THE KISSER! XD
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I can't find a video but there's a really atrocious remake of "Express Yourself" for Windows 8 out on the airwaves.

I HATE it! Angry

What would you do without "zippyjet?" I found this abortion on you tube. I was going to start a thread on this but you beat me to it. Like minds think alike.
Why must advertisers beat this song to death in "badvertising?" I hate this song now thanks to Madison Avenue. The actual hit is OK but amazing how over use and abuse by white bread cocaine sniffing advertisers can turn an OK tune into a steamin turd! Thumbs Down "Express Yourself" is making a run with "Simply the Best" for songs that should be banned from advertising. And advertisers breaking these offenses by using these tunes should be caned like they do in Singapore for various offenses!
I approve this message.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic