Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bulk of unwanted junk mail cluttering our mailbox
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulk of unwanted junk mail cluttering our mailbox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Slasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulk of unwanted junk mail cluttering our mailbox
    Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 9:02pm

I know this topic has been created before, but most of us think of unwanted junk mail as an afterthought.

However junk mail is indeed an irritating form of advertisement. Everyday, we are bombarded with bulks of unwanted junk mail that clutter our mailbox from the post office. Yet, most of us complain and rant about seeing annoying commercials that come on our television or radio everyday, not the mail we receive from the mail carrier. The mail we receive, beside bills, bank statements, and other important items, are all unwanted junk mail. All of them end up in the garbage can without taking a first look at them. However, there are people who do recycle unwanted mail order catalogs.

Unwanted junk mail such as credit card solicitation offers, political mail that comes every election season, mail order catalogs, surveys, sweepstakes, Val-Pac coupons, PennySaver, local newspaper inserts (food, department, and drug stores), ADVO Mailbox Values, Money Mailer coupons, magazine subscriptions, and local business flyers.

Stopping unwanted junk mail will protect the environment and declutter our mailbox. No need to spend so much time to shed them in order to our personal information.  

Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 9:07pm
I opted my family out of unsolicited credit card offers.  There's also a way to stop all other junk mail....not sure if it's a website or 800#.

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 8:17am
What's always good to do with those credit card solicitations is to use those envelopes of their's and mail them some of those val pac coupons so long as none of it has your address on it. This way they have to pay the freight to get junkmail in return. If more people did this I guarantee it would f**k them up old school. 
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 8:43am
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

What's always good to do with those credit card solicitations is to use those envelopes of their's and mail them some of those val pac coupons so long as none of it has your address on it. This way they have to pay the freight to get junkmail in return. If more people did this I guarantee it would f**k them up old school. 

I actually do this!!!!LOL
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 3:24pm
I LOATHE most forms of Junk Mail, but there is one kind of Solicitation I actually LIKE!Thumbs%20Up About twice a Month I'll get flyers from the Auto Dealerships in my area inviting me to come out and look at their cars. In return I will get one of the following:

1. A $5.00 Wal-Mart Card

2. A $5.00 Target Card

3. 10 "Golden Dollars".

I'll go to the Dealerships, answer a couple of questions. "What do you Drive now?", Do you plan to buy a Car in the Future?" Get my Card (Or "Goldies") then I'll make a BEELINE to the Store where I "Raid" their DVD Bargain Bin! I get 20-30 FREE Movies a year and a Couple of Box Sets from these flyers!LOL 
Ad Slasher View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Slasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 6:30pm
There are no free services.

One service is called Greendimes https://www.greendimes.com/ for $20 for life. They do all of the work for you and routinely check to make sure your off the lists or you could do it yourself which can take many hours to write, print and send letters to marketing associations.

To stop pre-approve credit card offers is OptOutPrescreen.com https://www.optoutprescreen.com/ which is an official website by the four biggest consumer credit reporting Companies. It was an act passes by congress and signed by the president. It is called the “Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)”

msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 6:36pm
I like the value pak coupons.  The ones that I absolutely detest are the giant newspaper size ones that make me drop all of the other crap in the bushes.  I can't get a good grip on all of it at once.  Why do they need to make them soooooo big.  Its rediculous.  I do miss the address lables that the charitable groups used to send me.  Now I have to actually write it when I mail my bills.  Yes, I still use snail mail.  Can't remember all of my damn passwords.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 2:06am
AHHHHH!!!! You spelled ridiculous with an "e"

Anyway, all that junk mail is job security for me, so I can't say too much. We hate those big newspapery things as much as you do. They are even more of a pain in the ass to put into the mailbox than to take them out.

I opted out of those credit card offers in 1997. I rarely get them, even over a decade later. But I will give everybody a "Be careful what you wish for" warning concerning "Do Not Mail" lists, which many states are pondering. If you own a small business, you will not be able to send out anything to potential customers in your neighborhood. Even though you won't be getting those annoying credit card offers, it could be devastating to small businesses if your state approves a "Do not Mail" bill..
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 1:31am
I always look though my junk mail folder to see if anything I want went in there, and I am STILL getting those Nigerian Prince ones. You know, the ones where he wants to share his fortune. Because they so have computers in Nigeria.
I thought that scam was dead by now.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic