Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Halloween Treats - your favorites?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halloween Treats - your favorites?
    Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 2:46pm
I remember after a few hours of hauling in "the goods" my brother, sisters and I would sit in a huge circle, dump our loot then sort it. Of course, this was after Mom "inspected it"  (or hoarded as many candy bars as she could grab undetecetd!) This was back in the day when people actually gave you a little Halloween bag crammed with different goodies.

Then the bickering, bargaining and negotiation would ensue!

My Dad always got stuck with all of the Baby Ruths - which he did enjoy.

Mom would get the dark chocolate (how dumb I was back then!) - and whatever she could hoard undetected.

As kids, our favorites leaned towards Tootsie Rolls (and Tootsie Pops!) but I think one of our all time favorites was BB Bats (flavored taffy lollipop).

How about you?
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Sponsored Links

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 3:03pm
Sweettarts RULE! Thumbs Up
Poiuyt Power!!!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 3:11pm
Dum Dums, PAL bubble gum, and Candy Corn.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 3:14pm
I loved the BB Bats, too.  I think part of that was that it was such a Halloween-only candy.  We really didn't get them much at other times of the year.

I also liked the little "surprise bags".  My mother, however, would go through each one and determine what we could have and what we had to toss.  That was no big deal, though.  I remember getting so much "acceptable" candy that it'd last into January.

I also remember getting a lot of full-sized candy bars.  Now, they're all "fun size" (an untruth, as big candy bars are, of course, much more fun than little ones).

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Dum Dums, PAL bubble gum, and Candy Corn.

I preferred Indian Corn.  That's the Candy Corn that has a chocolate bottom segment.  I'd break off those bottom segments, eat the orange/white part first, and then eat all the bottom segments.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 3:21pm
Candy Corn, Candy Pumpkins, Bit-O-Honeys, Sugar Babies, those little caramel cubes, Snickers, Twix, Smarties, Starburst, Skittles, black licorice (I know this is weird because a lot of people hate it, but I happily took it off my friends' hands!)

I was just thinking, though, that Mambas used to be one of my favorite candies, but the only time I ever got to eat them was when I was visiting my grandmother in Colorado Springs. I never saw my friends eating them, and I for sure never got them for Halloween. Weird!
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

Candy Corn, Candy Pumpkins, Bit-O-Honeys, Sugar Babies, those little caramel cubes, Snickers, Twix, Smarties, Starburst, Skittles, black licorice (I know this is weird because a lot of people hate it, but I happily took it off my friends' hands!)

I was just thinking, though, that Mambas used to be one of my favorite candies, but the only time I ever got to eat them was when I was visiting my grandmother in Colorado Springs. I never saw my friends eating them, and I for sure never got them for Halloween. Weird!

Ahhh I forgot about those!  I loved those things ... usually I'd put the entire roll in my mouth at once instead of eating them a couple at a time. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 3:51pm
I was gonna mention the same thing, insanity.  I loved the Smarties.  We used to pretend they were pills.

When I buy Halloween candy nowadays, I try to always get stuff that I would eat just in case there's candy left over.  This includes Smarties.  In fact, I always set a few rolls aside for myself.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 4:01pm
Bit O Honeys! OMG I love them.

Candy Corn - what a simple pleasure.

I'm going to CVS at lunch and see what nostalgic candies I can find.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I'd love to have some of those.  Too much expensive dental work to chance it, though.  Mary Janes, too.

aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 4:11pm
Twix, Snickers and Peanut Butter Cups.  I try to get Mr. Aleen to buy all candy that we don't like, but he never does! 

One year we had leftover candy and we couldn't stop eating it.  So I decided to make "Halloween Treat Cookies."  Yeah, that wasn't a good idea.  Let's chop up the Halloween treats, add butter, sugar, flour and BAM...all of the cookies and treats will be gone in a day.  So we basically ate the equivalent of dozens of treats instead of 4 little bars a day like we had been doing...argh!!!
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 4:16pm

Halloween just wouldn't have been Halloween in my neighborhood, without the Ferrero Rocher!!! LOL

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Halloween just wouldn't have been Halloween in my neighborhood, without the Ferrero Rocher!!! LOL

A very twee neighborhood.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 4:36pm
Perfect for Twick or Twee....t.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I'd love to have some of those.  Too much expensive dental work to chance it, though.  Mary Janes, too.

Ditto the Sugar Babies and Sugar Daddies and Milk Duds

But screw it - I'm willing to risk it! LOL

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:06pm
I never cared for Sugar Babies/Daddies or Milk Duds, not sure why.  They were alright but were always left at the bottom of my trick or treating bag and usually eventually thrown out.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

I never cared for Sugar Babies/Daddies or Milk Duds, not sure why.  They were alright but were always left at the bottom of my trick or treating bag and usually eventually thrown out.

Did you, perhaps, fear the mutant Milk Dud?  You know---the one or two in the box that weren't quite right?  A bit smaller and with a harder, chewier texture.  I seem to recall the color was a bit off, too.

Fans of Milk Duds know what I'm talking about.  LOL

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:22pm
haha Whoppers have that same problem.  It seems like every bag I've ever gotten there's been the one that's just a chewy/hard texture with no malted milk.  You can't tell those from the good ones though ... they're always the same size etc.  
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:39pm
I always enjoyed the Toblerone bars.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:46pm
The Godiva's were another favorite of mine...

YUM!!! Tongue

I always liked it when they'd give out entire boxes of it rather than the individually wrapped pieces.

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 6:14pm
Jimbo, who are you kidding here? You got the Butter Fingers and Laffy Taffy's just like the rest of us.

Except, of course, in MY neighborhood, they'd fly all the children to Switzerland for a guided tour of all the chocolatiers. LOL

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 8:10pm
Reese's peanut butter cups! 
For a couple of years we got lucky and we had a neighbor who made homemade caramel apples (rolled in crushed peanuts--best thing we ever got trick/treating.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:02pm
My favorite has to be Kit Kats YUM!

Also Sweettarts those were delicious!!!!!

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups were another staple

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:43pm
Cry...I never had a 'favorite' - didn't like choosing between 'apple-n'-razor blades' and 'rat poison-coated-delacasies'...so I got to like eatin' pumpykins.
Wolf eating pumpkin
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:47pm
Pa, were you in my neck o' the woods?  Someone chewed holes in all the decorative pumpkins and gourds we had out. Except for th eone on the front steps.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic