Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subaru is Love

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subaru is Love
    Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 2:50am
Has anyone seen the new Subaru "Love" commercials that have been coming out in the past month or so?  Yuck.  I'd post 'em here, but I don't see them on Youtube yet.

The one I just saw has these two kids washing Dad's new Subaru with the windows and sunroof open.  You can see the jet from the hose spraying right into the interior.  Then, Dad comes along.  He just laughs.  He loves his boys and just can't be mad at 'em.  In fact, he's so enamored of them that he doesn't attempt any damage control.  In fact, he joins in the fun.  He loves those lads.

Anyway, the whole ad campaign somehow equates Subarus with love.  I've seen four of these commercials but, still, have no idea how.

Sponsored Links

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 3:16am
YES I totally saw that one recently. Suburu is playing up the family with children under 8 thing waaaaaay too much. I can't think of a Suburu ad that doesn't have young kids in it made recently. I hated the "When I see you I see me" song ad with the woman and her daughter being all crunchy granola planting some neighborhood garden with tools from their Suburu. Ughhhh, families with young kids who shop at Whole Foods too? Count me out.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 4:00am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

YES I totally saw that one recently. Suburu is playing up the family with children under 8 thing waaaaaay too much. I can't think of a Suburu ad that doesn't have young kids in it made recently. I hated the "When I see you I see me" song ad with the woman and her daughter being all crunchy granola planting some neighborhood garden with tools from their Suburu. Ughhhh, families with young kids who shop at Whole Foods too? Count me out.
I don't try to make my 3 1/2 y/o Grandson a "granola cruncher" although his food of choice is fresh fruit. I take him to the library, museums, and parks. He does like to plant a flower and watch it grow and bloom. So do I but it also eventually dies. This teaches him the cycle of life. My Oldest Granddaugters Great Grandmother passed away a few years ago. She was very upset. I sat down with her and explained that if none of us died we would not have standing room on our planet. Being very smart she understood this.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 4:35am

I just don't get how, exactly, Subaru is love.  I can see how someone might love their Subaru, but that doesn't seem to be what they're saying.  Somehow, it seems, Subaru is the car you buy if you love your children.  But if that's the case, shouldn't they at least be giving the safety specs? 

I just don't get it.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I just don't get how, exactly, Subaru is love.  I can see how someone might love their Subaru, but that doesn't seem to be what they're saying.  Somehow, it seems, Subaru is the car you buy if you love your children.  But if that's the case, shouldn't they at least be giving the safety specs? 

I just don't get it.

I don't either. They're just phoning in feelings and trying to be relateable to a very small chunk of the population. I don't think there's been a Suburu commercial that really focused on the car and whatever features it has in a while. Unless you count the one where the little girl is in the driver seat while the dad lectures her before handing over the keys. But even then it was just a tacked on "Suburus are safe" line at the end.

It's all about "oh hey, you're a hipster, an intact family with children under 8, and you love the environment and probably shop at whole foods...Suburu gets you! By the way, come buy our car because we get you SO MUCH". Pandering pandering pandering! But I guess if stupid crunchy granola moms buy into it that's their problem.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 2:59pm

It's all about "oh hey, you're a hipster, an intact family with children under 8, and you love the environment and probably shop at whole foods...Suburu gets you! By the way, come buy our car because we get you SO MUCH". Pandering pandering pandering! But I guess if stupid crunchy granola moms buy into it that's their problem.

Hmmmm...that made me think.

Subarus used to be considered cars for lesbians.  This might have had something to do with the fact that it was once named "the Official Car of the LPGA".  So maybe, with this whole family love thing, they're trying to emphasize the heterosexuality of the car.  Of course, they'll still maintain the whole Whole Foods/granola/"I love the environment" image.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 6:24pm

I just don't get it.

I don't either. They're just phoning in feelings and trying to be relateable to a very small chunk of the population. I don't think there's been a Suburu commercial that really focused on the car and whatever features it has in a while. Unless you count the one where the little girl is in the driver seat while the dad lectures her before handing over the keys. But even then it was just a tacked on "Suburus are safe" line at the end.

The last Subaru commercial that had anything to do with the vehicles capabilities was years ago. The Outback was being driven in the Austrailian "OUTBACK". Since then I can only recall the "love" pandering. First love, love of the teenage Daughter, chasing rainbows....on and on. Please Subaru try to come-up with something convincing us to choose Subaru over the competition besides "love".
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 7:49pm

I love how, at the end, the narrarator says, "Every mom needs a little helper", then mom glances into the backseat at her little granola angel, "that's why I got a Subaru". It might as well say, "I had to buy this car to multi-task because my damn kid is comlpetely useless and is always putting me behind schedule.". Lol. It made me laugh at the time.
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 10:33pm
I'm still lost about the washing the car with the windows down bit.Confused Maybe next weekend, Dad will take them to the local drive through car wash...... and open the windows.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 12:46am
Ya know...haven't seen a single one of these commercials, but I sure see a lot of Subarus on the side of the road with "FOR SALE" in the window.
That ain't sayin' a thing about 'LOVE' to me...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 4:48pm

Here's one of the new uber-maudlin ones.

"Love.  It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru".

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 4:52pm
Found the car wash one.  It's worse than I remembered.  The kids are actually washing (not wiping) the dashboard controls and dumping buckets of water through the sunroof.  I'm pretty sure that isn't good for a car.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 5:25pm
Those two commercials make me miss the hockey mom commercial with The Progues music.

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 6:05pm

Found the car wash one.  It's worse than I remembered.  The kids are actually washing (not wiping) the dashboard controls and dumping buckets of water through the sunroof.  I'm pretty sure that isn't good for a car.

Potentialy very very bad. Although Subarus have magical powers that can make you "love" them I doubt if they can repair themselves. This could be a very expensive repair and insurance may not cover water damage or any intentional damage. My advice to Father. "Locate nearest Gypsies and sell children".
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 9:20pm

The boys drop all that stuff when Dad arrives, like they know they did wrong. Toothpaste on the knobs, where'd they get that from?

It reminds me of those commercials where the little kiddies smear paint all over the house walls and carpet. 
Oh, that's OK.Heart 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

My advice to Father. "Locate nearest Gypsies and sell children".

My father tried selling me to the gypsies once.  He tried to call them, but their line was busy.  He said he was gonna try again later.  I was verrrrry good the rest of that day.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

The boys drop all that stuff when Dad arrives, like they know they did wrong. Toothpaste on the knobs, where'd they get that from?

I think toothpaste is supposed to be good for brass, but I doubt that's the case here.  Not too many cars feature brass knobs these days. 

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 10:58pm

Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

My advice to Father. "Locate nearest Gypsies and sell children".

My father tried selling me to the gypsies once.  He tried to call them, but their line was busy.  He said he was gonna try again later.  I was verrrrry good the rest of that day.

I would think you were. LOLLOLLOL
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 11:18pm
I just saw this ad last night. 

Listen, if I did this to either of my parents cars when I was that age I can promise you that my dad's response upon walking up to seeing me hosing off the soaped up dashboard and radio knobs would be VASTLY different than the guy here who is more or less "oh you crazy kids!" 

Not only would I have gotten my ass kicked, I'd STILL be hearing about it 30 years later! 
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 11:21pm
this reminds me of that paper towel commercial from a couple years ago where the bratty kids are literally spraying and flinging grape soda ALL OVER THE KITCHEN and mom responds with the usual "oh I can't get mad at you lil' pranksters! Now lets all have a family moment while cleaning this up!"

Again....like most of you, my mom would'nt quite have had the same response. LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 4:31am
Originally posted by jnoble jnoble wrote:

this reminds me of that paper towel commercial from a couple years ago where the bratty kids are literally spraying and flinging grape soda ALL OVER THE KITCHEN and mom responds with the usual "oh I can't get mad at you lil' pranksters! Now lets all have a family moment while cleaning this up!"

Again....like most of you, my mom would'nt quite have had the same response. LOL

There's an LG washer/dryer commercial right now that has the kids bringing grape juice to their parents who are in bed in their totally white bedroom.  They spill the juice on their white dog, and the dog shakes it off, sending the purple stuff all over the white walls, rug, sheets, etc.  Of course, the parents react with love and kindness.  They love their children.  It doesn't matter that they'll never get the grape juice off their walls and rug with that LG washer/dryer.  In fact, maybe they'll turn their bedroom into a purple and white fashion statement, and thank the tikes for spilling that grape juice in the first place.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 4:55am

Originally posted by jnoble jnoble wrote:

There's an LG washer/dryer commercial right now that has the kids bringing grape juice to their parents who are in bed in their totally white bedroom.  They spill the juice on their white dog, and the dog shakes it off, sending the purple stuff all over the white walls, rug, sheets, etc.  Of course, the parents react with love and kindness.  They love their children.  It doesn't matter that they'll never get the grape juice off their walls and rug with that LG washer/dryer.  In fact, maybe they'll turn their bedroom into a purple and white fashion statement, and thank the tikes for spilling that grape juice in the first place.

Yes! Pure fantasy! My mother had a willow tree. I met mister willow switch many times.
JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 1:55pm
My girlfriend has a theory that the car is actually the car actually belongs to the guy's wife who he has recently found out has been cheating on him and that's why he doesn't seem to care. 
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by JasperGretsch JasperGretsch wrote:

My girlfriend has a theory that the car is actually the car actually belongs to the guy's wife who he has recently found out has been cheating on him and that's why he doesn't seem to care. 
That theory is quite plausible.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 8:07pm

Suburu doesn't just me you love your kids but also your pets.  I saw this new one last night that showed the guy's chocolate lab puppy growing up and old.  The dog is adorable but Suburu doesn't even push the car until the end.  And no, what does owning a Suburu mean that you will love your dog and that the car will make it have a long, healthy life.

The one that really bugs me is the mother/daughter gardening.  That music is just pathetic!

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic