Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hipsters and their Doritos Locos tacos.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a3b3i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hipsters and their Doritos Locos tacos.
    Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 8:39pm
This commercial annoys me terribly.

Does Taco Bell really expect average consumers to buy their product because a bunch of college-aged emo kids took some Instagram photos of their tacos?!

Also, what's with the song in the background? I don't want to hear hipster jazz every time I turn on the TV. 

UGH, time for a new ad, Taco Bell. 
Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 9:07pm
My question is, who in the Censored actually takes photos of their food while eating it?  Are people's lives really that vapid?

Here's the commercial by the way:

a3b3i View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a3b3i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 12:15am
Thanks for posting the ad, didn't know how :)

Yeah, the only time I might take a picture of food is if it's some extravagant dessert that took me four hours to bake and frost, not a 99 cent taco I bought from the drive-thru. Pathetic!
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 1:36am
The song is "Take a Walk" by Passion Pit. It's actually catchy, even though I'm not into the hipster/indie rock genre.

I have other beefs with Instagram, mainly how it's led to people trying to create a vintage look, the look of pictures from the 70s and 80s. I don't mind the retro movement, but everything nowadays is about recreating the feel of an older decade. I miss the 80s, but I'd like to see some new styles created that we'll look back upon (and be ashamed of) in 20 years.

I'd be lying if I said I've never taken or posted a picture of my food. But it was usually something I made myself, a meal at an out of the ordinary restaurant, or somewhere not in my area. A fast food place? Nah.
The poster formerly known as producer757
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 2:45am
I love Taco Bell. But please Taco Bell, get a new ad.......................FAST
JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 6:06pm
I don't know what it is but something about this guy's voice drives me crazy. It has something to do with the way he draws out his vowels I think, but it sounds over the top dramatic. The worst one is the commercial "Somebody told the folks of buttf**knowhere indiana that they were getting a taco bell, but they were saddened to find out it was just a hoax.... *slit wrists pause*
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 7:33pm
My best friend used to take pictures of all her food. She's not a hipster, though. She just really likes food.

I hate Taco Bell though.
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 9:33pm
ConfusedWe saw the commercial again, today...has nothing to do, so we went and got a few.
Taco Bell tricked me..they put them in cardboard sleeves, now (not so bad, with hot sauce).
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 3:00pm
Are people really freaking out about how awesome this things are?  Or is it just b*llsh*t ad campaigning?  I must say I'm not jizzing in my drawers to taste one of these things. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 3:35pm
I just can't imagine anyone actually getting excited over some fast food offering.  Didn't McDonalds resurrect the McRib awhile back or something?  I seem to recall a lot of hubbub over it.  Why?  It's just friggin' cheapo low-quality food!  Beyond that, it's just food!

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 4:29pm
These things (Doritos Locos Tacos) actually aren't that bad (you can't actually taste the Doritos as much as they imply, though) - but why is Taco Bell still advertising them as if THEY WERE RELEASED YESTERDAY!

If some hipster texted me a picture of one of them, I'd be like "dude, those things were released MONTHS ago - everyone's already seen one!".
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I just can't imagine anyone actually getting excited over some fast food offering.  Didn't McDonalds resurrect the McRib awhile back or something?  I seem to recall a lot of hubbub over it.  Why?  It's just friggin' cheapo low-quality food!  Beyond that, it's just food!

Wouldn't that be the - I don't know - millionth time they re-released that thing? It's one of those items that a company keeps on releasing on a "limited time only" basis just because idiots fall for it every time.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 4:38pm
I think it must be a perpetual resurrection (aren't we supposed to see a doctor when that happens?).  I think Disney does the same thing with its movies.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 5:33pm
McRib is usually an annual thing. I finally had one a couple of years ago to see what the fuss was about. Quite possibly the nastiest thing I had ever had. No kidding, for a few months after that, my stomach turned at the sight or thought of a McRib sandwich.
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 6:39pm
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh the worst you are so right, it's not even rib meat!
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Wink...and HERE is some 'Fast Food' to get excited about - and it's affordable, too!Big smile

~~~not interested about 'Today's Menu Choice'? Weeeellll...lookie HERE!~~~

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by tvpirate05 tvpirate05 wrote:

McRib is usually an annual thing. I finally had one a couple of years ago to see what the fuss was about. Quite possibly the nastiest thing I had ever had. No kidding, for a few months after that, my stomach turned at the sight or thought of a McRib sandwich.

God, those things are nasty.  I tried one once, and I realized we had the EXACT same pressed mystery meat sandwiches in middle school.  The consistency made me GAG.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

God, those things are nasty.  I tried one once, and I realized we had the EXACT same pressed mystery meat sandwiches in middle school.  The consistency made me GAG.
I remember it sitting on the pantry shelf at my elementary school. They were big gallon cans. White label with black printing which read only:

U.S. GOVERNMENT

MEAT

EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 8:54pm
...right next to the government cheese, I assume.

There's probably so little meat and cheese in those products that Orthodox Jews could eat them together and barely be breaking any Kosher laws.

EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:16pm
I swear those things are 95% rat sh*t and sawdust.  The other 5% is the "barbecue sauce."

- Mark Twain

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:45pm
The rumor is that it's made with the same material used in gym mats.

I live in Virginia...ribs are pretty popular here. And in all my years of eating them, I've never ever had a rib with the same consistency of a Quarter Pounder. Even the beef ones are more like a tender steak.

You're not fooling me McDonald's...and pickles? Seriously?!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

I swear those things are 95% rat sh*t and sawdust.  The other 5% is the "barbecue sauce."
I'm glad you used quotes for "barbeque sauce". In some States you could probably end up on a chain gang or worse for such sacrilege!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 12:54am
This, unfortunately, is a real phenomenon. Taking instagram photos of everything you eat. I'm part of this generation and even I don't get it. It's part of the hipster subculture I guess. My biggest problem is the line "taking tacos where no one thought they'd go"

What

The

F*ck

Making a taco shell out of doritos has been an internet meme and movement for a number of years before it was made. EVERYONE thought tacos would "go there". This isn't the surprising, earth shattering invention they seem to think it is. Yeah, it broke sales records, yeah, it's f**king delicious, but STOP SHOVING IT IN MY FACE TACO BELL. I already eat there on a regular basis, stop the pandering already!
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:30am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

This, unfortunately, is a real phenomenon. Taking instagram photos of everything you eat. I'm part of this generation and even I don't get it. It's part of the hipster subculture...
Confused...one more time, and to support HD's comments, if you're going to shoot pics of your food, you may as well make it worthwhile.
Here's the example I previously posted:

Tom Sewer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Sewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 2:26am
As a Dorito-loving hipster myself (and one who takes pictures of himself as he eats), I am highly offended by this thread. 
"Today's Tom Sewer, you get by on him." - Tom Sawyer by Rush... sort of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic