Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remember back when cereal was FUN?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remember back when cereal was FUN?
    Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 11:50pm
You know, when they released like 4-5 brightly-designed new cereals every other week, and it wasn't a crime to advertise sugary cereals to children?

I can't remember when that stopped, it must've been somewhere in the 90's.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 12:29am
Here's a webpage comparing the cereal mascots "now" to the same mascots "then".  Note how the mascots seem to have gotten wackier and now all have their eyes bugged out and their mouths wide open.

Also, note how, on none of the "now" cereal boxes, do you see the word "sugar".  I think that started happening in the 70s.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 1:41am
WOW I prefer the 1960's boxes over the frantic and IN YOUR FACE boxes of the modern era. 
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 1:53am
I dunno why they dropped the use of the word "sugar" over the years.  Possibly, it's because sugar has so many negative connotations to it---diabetes, tooth decay, obesity, hyperactivity in kids, for example.

But possibly, it's due to the use of HFCS instead of actual sugar.  The US in the mid 70s was in some sort of sugar "shortage", and after that, you started seeing "sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup" in the list of ingredients on many products.  I don't know all the legalities, but I'm pretty sure a product can't advertise something that it doesn't contain.  If it doesn't contain sugar, then maybe they were no longer allowed to call them "Sugar Pops".

ProudHeart86 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudHeart86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 3:45am
I think the biggest change I remember was the evolution of Cookie Crisp.  Well, "evolution" is the wrong word...I personally think Cookie Crisp got worse.  Not in taste, but in advertising.  I was a child when they had Cookie Crook and Officer Crumb (though I know before they appeared, there was Cookie Jarvis, although I wasn't alive when he was around).  And then I was, I guess, 5 or 6 or so when Chip came about.  Then of course, I endured that stupid wolf.  
*sigh*  There are a few new incarnations I like (Sonny, and the Trix Rabbit), but I miss the others in their older forms.  Especially Sugar Bear.  I loved his "Can't get enough of that Golden Crisp.  It's got the crunch with punch" jingle.  Luckily, he's still around on boxes...but I just miss those commercials!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 4:36am
It was fun up to the point where they quit putting the 'prizes' in them.  (I think the 70's & early 80's were the Golden Age of cereal box prizes.)  Nowadays it's "Visit our website and play our crappy activity games!" (actually a cover for marketing/data mining.)  Still not worth $4 a box....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 4:41am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

It was fun up to the point where they quit putting the 'prizes' in them.  (I think the 70's & early 80's were the Golden Age of cereal box prizes.)  Nowadays it's "Visit our website and play our crappy activity games!" (actually a cover for marketing/data mining.)  Still not worth $4 box.... 

Hence the rising popularity of the bagged offbrand cereals like "Malt-O-Meal", etc.

Much cheaper & just as good.

You're just not paying for all the expensive advertising & marketing.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 4:48am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

It was fun up to the point where they quit putting the 'prizes' in them.  (I think the 70's & early 80's were the Golden Age of cereal box prizes.)  Nowadays it's "Visit our website and play our crappy activity games!" (actually a cover for marketing/data mining.)  Still not worth $4 box.... 

Hence the rising popularity of the bagged offbrand cereals like "Malt-O-Meal", etc.

Much cheaper & just as good.

You're just not paying for all the expensive advertising & marketing.

Right now, my supermarket has Malt-O-Meal cereal on sale.  I got 2 big fat 27oz boxes of the "Frosted Mini-Spooners" (same as Mini-Wheats) for $1.78 per box.  That's nearly 3 and 1/2 lbs of the off-brand for probably about the same price as 1 lb of the Kellogg's.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 4:55am
I stick with the cheap crispy rice or corn flakes anymore & just drizzle a little honey on it.  I've seen Rice Krispies going for $5 a box and think "Why...?"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 4:57am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Right now, my supermarket has Malt-O-Meal cereal on sale.  I got 2 big fat 27oz boxes of the "Frosted Mini-Spooners" (same as Mini-Wheats) for $1.78 per box.  That's 3 and 1/2 lbs of the off-brand for probably about the same price as less than 1 lb of the Kellogg's.

I thought you had given up cereal for good!!!! LOL

Anyway, you shoulda got this stuff....

Awesome good!!!!! Tongue

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 5:06am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Right now, my supermarket has Malt-O-Meal cereal on sale.  I got 2 big fat 27oz boxes of the "Frosted Mini-Spooners" (same as Mini-Wheats) for $1.78 per box.  That's 3 and 1/2 lbs of the off-brand for probably about the same price as less than 1 lb of the Kellogg's.

I thought you had given up cereal for good!!!! LOL

I thought I explained why I relapsed after having been clean for 3 years.  Anyway, it was my sis-in-law's fault.  When she and my bro visited in 2010, she left behind nearly a full box of Cocoa Krispies.  I couldn't just throw it away.  Anyway, Cocoa Krispies led to Fruity Pebbles and before ya know, I'm hooked again.

But for me, it's all about the sweetened milk.  I'll pour a cup and a half of milk (ice cold) over a half cup of cereal.  I go through at least a gallon and a half of milk per week this way.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 5:16am
I like to pour the cereal into my mouth dry, then swig some milk.

You get just the right amount of milk & cereal each time.

And of course, the cereal is always crunchy.

C'mon, man!
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 6:12am
I was just thinking about this yesterday. Whatever happened to the cool toy prizes that used to come in cereal? I remember during my youth (the 1980s) my sisters, brother and I used to dig through the cereal box to get to the toy first.

Nowadays, the "prizes" are really lame, if they even include one at all.
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 12:22pm
Heart Corn pops!
I like some fruity kids' cereals, but others, while still having a great flavor, used to shred my mouth. I favor the honey cereals and even some fruity cereals like Pebbles. I've always found chocolate cereals disgusting, though, and I'm a huge fan of chocolate.
+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by PrincessOfTheAncient PrincessOfTheAncient wrote:

Heart Corn pops!
I like some fruity kids' cereals, but others, while still having a great flavor, used to shred my mouth. I favor the honey cereals and even some fruity cereals like Pebbles. I've always found chocolate cereals disgusting, though, and I'm a huge fan of chocolate.

And Corn Pops didn't shred your mouth?  I recall Corn Pops (Sugar Pops in my day) were the worst as far as scraping up the roof of my mouth.  Didn't stop me from eating 'em, though.  I loved 'em!

One thing I never understood, though---the foil bag.  As far as I know, it's the only cereal that's packaged like that.  Maybe it has something to do with that sugar glaze.  I know they used to get really sticky and really stale pretty quickly if I left the bag open.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 3:46pm

What the hell happened to  Count Chocula's box?  It looks like the movie poster for a Tim Burton flick or some sh*t.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 4:17pm
Cap'n Crunch tore the bejesus out of the roof of my mouth but it was worth it. LOVED it. On the very very rare ocasions we even got sweetened cereal. Nope, for us, it was those HUGE bags of puffed rice and puffed wheat. May as well have eaten cardboard

I do remember the record that caame on the back of the Honeycomb box. Anyone else remember that? I think it was "Sugar Sugar'  by the Archies!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 4:43pm
I usually ate life cereal when I was in my late teens, as that was just about all my mom bought.
Great tasting stuff, too. Has a kind of natural sweetness. Gave me gas like crazy after I got a little oplder, though.

And I can't forget Special K. Great tasting cereal!!! But that was later on, too.

Occasionally, when I was younger, my mom would get me Cap'n Crunch. I also remember Rice Krispies on occasion. Oh, & Lucky Charms.

We had Wheaties fairly often, too.

I think we probably tried just about every cereal at least once, but stuff like Coco Puffs & whatnot were a rarity around our house.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I do remember the record that caame on the back of the Honeycomb box. Anyone else remember that? I think it was "Sugar Sugar'  by the Archies!

If it wasn't, it certainly should've been Sugar, Sugar.  The Archies need to do an update, however---High Fructose Corn Sweetener, High Fructose Corn Sweetener.

Could it have been this song, Mad?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 5:05pm

If it wasn't, it certainly should've been Sugar, Sugar.  The Archies need to do an update, however---High Fructose Corn Sweetener, High Fructose Corn Sweetener.

Too many syllables.

They'd have to shorten it to HFCS to make it fit into the melody.

HFCS, ah honey honey
You are my candy girl
And you've got me wanting you.
Honey, ah HFCS
You are my candy girls
And you got me wanting you

I just can't believe the lovliness of loving you,
(I just can't believe it's true)
I just can't believe the one to love this feeling to
(I just can't believe it's true)

HFCS, ah honey hiney
you are my candy girl
and you got me wanting you
honey, ah HFCS
you are my candy girl

When i kissed you girl I knew how sweet a kiss could be
(I know how sweet a kiss could be)
Like the summer sunshine pour you sweetness over me
(Pour your sweetness over me)

Pour a little HFCS on it honey
Pour a little HFCS on it Baby
I'm gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah
pour a little HFCS on it yeah
pour a little HFCS on it honey
pour a little HFCS on it baby
I'm gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah
pour a little HFCS on it honey

Ah HFCS, ah honey honey
you are my candy girl
Oh honey honey, HFCS..............
You are my candy girl                                 

We could experiment with some Def Leppard lyrics too, if you'd like:

"Pour some HFCS on me!!!!!" Tongue

And don't even get me started on Sheena Easton's "HFCS Walls"!!!! LOL

C'mon, man!
ProudHeart86 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudHeart86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

What the hell happened to  Count Chocula's box?  It looks like the movie poster for a Tim Burton flick or some sh*t.

Oh, Count Disapprove  You look deformed!  I know they wanted to make you look badass, but you just look like your mother drank when she was pregnant with you.  I want my old, 2D, hand-drawn Count back :(
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 5:46pm
Here's another pretty cool website for old cereal boxes:

The artist formerly known as Madawee

PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 11:39am

Originally posted by PrincessOfTheAncient PrincessOfTheAncient wrote:

Heart Corn pops!

And Corn Pops didn't shred your mouth?  I recall Corn Pops (Sugar Pops in my day) were the worst as far as scraping up the roof of my mouth.  Didn't stop me from eating 'em, though.  I loved 'em!

One thing I never understood, though---the foil bag.  As far as I know, it's the only cereal that's packaged like that.  Maybe it has something to do with that sugar glaze.  I know they used to get really sticky and really stale pretty quickly if I left the bag open.

Come to think of it, it pretty much did but it was worth it.
+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 2:20pm

Here's another pretty cool website for old cereal boxes:

I'd like to have tried that one called "Sir Grapefellow".  'Cept I never liked those marshmallow things.  As I said here before---they're not marshmallow!  They're more like candy a la Valentine's Day hearts.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 3:15pm
I actually LIKED Sir Grapefellow! Big smile Then it was discontinued, Ouch and it was back to Captain Crunch and Fruit Loops for me.
Poiuyt Power!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic