Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Depression Hurts, Cymbalta can help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Depression Hurts, Cymbalta can help
    Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 9:59pm
This commercial bums me the hell out!
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Sponsored Links

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 10:22pm
Me too, I suffer from depression and have been treated for years now. If you are to the point where you're sitting around weeping, you would go see your doctor, you wouldn't wait for some stupid ass ad to tell you. Depression hurts, but, this commercial hurts more!Cry
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 11:20pm

I've hated the whole series of these commercials...in fact, if you are not depressed, this series of commercial will get you there. EVERYONE in the hosehold races for the channel changer when one of these comes on, if for nothing else, to save us all....these stinkin' commercials can make a happy person want to cowl in the corner and stick the barrel of a small-caliber weapon in their mouth....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe I should put it another way.

Just about EVERYONE on my side of the family is either an ex-practicing psychologist, or, well, has nothing short of a masters in psych...'cept me.

I'm the 'black sheep'.

My beloved father, a life-long soldier (a hard-care E-8 Buck with multi-war/espionage experience) and multi-degreed individual - and now a 'Master Gardener' advises folks be very careful; most Psychs end up more screwed up than those they help.
(and, yes...he also is from 'Ground 0', in regard to industrial-strength computing)
His studies show a Psych becomes more f'd up than their patients - and maybe even worse - after, oh, say ten (10) patients. Both my brother and sister (who both practiced - but neither do, these days) back him 100%.
Why do I bring this up?
Think about the commercial.
Looks like some very depressed psychs came up with this mess...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 2:42am
I understand what they're trying to say, and that they are trying to get through to people who are depressed and feel like nobody understands.

But the same damned thing, over and over, especially with that music!

I hear you, Momma.  Thank God for meds.  If not for them, I would not be here now. 
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 3:58am
After many years of bad experimentation, I finally have a pill that works for me.
No longer homicidal and my outlook is bearable.  Some drugs just plain make things worse.
Every once in a while I think about quitting them but I cannot handle the brain zaps of withdrawal and I know how it feels to crash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_zaps
was feeling nostalgic
blast-off-girl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blast-off-girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 5:20am
I don't have a problem with this commercial.  There are a lot of people who suffer from depression and don't recognize the symptoms.  If you can believe it, they see commercials like this and actually may seek help. 

By the way, I work as a psychological evaluator, so I am speaking from my clinical experience. 
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 6:17am
Shadow, I've never heard of this before!  I've been on Zoloft for years and never had that problem (thank God).

Thanks for your comments, too, Blast-off girl.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 2:15pm
I'm on Zoloft and under the care of a wonderful psychiatrist, if I forget to take just one dose I feel very sick, it's seretonin crash and it's ugly!
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 2:42pm
When I came off Effexor, I had the zaps, but only when I turned my head to the left.  They weren't painful, just annoying.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 3:21pm
Luckily I never had the zaps when I took myself off Luvox. In fact, most of my problems actually went away after taking myself off!
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 5:25pm
Watch out:  Cymbalta has just been approved to treat fibromyalgia.  Look for a whole new ad campaign like Lyrica (which, by the way, has a new commercial).

Here's hoping the maker of Cymbalta has a better ad agency than Pfizer. 
Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 11:09pm
If it weren't for Prozac (fluoxetine generic now), I wouldn't be here reading these comments. I thank God and medical science every day that these meds exist.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 2:02am
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

This commercial bums me the hell out!

It gets me when I see the dog who's all ready to go out and play but the depressed person can't muster up the energy to enjoy it.  Cry
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 2:03am
Buderprion saved my bacon.
Effexor made my skin feel ill-fitting.  My Dr. neglected to alert me to the withdrawal effects.
Most of the weening off time was near deadly.  He assured me that piggy-backing the buderprion while weening off of effexor would soften the blow.  I wanted to die.
was feeling nostalgic
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 2:14am
I'm on Paxil now, which is supposed to be the worst for withdrawal problems.  It's been agreeing with me since '06, with a couple increases.  I hope I don't have to switch anytime soon.

mutebuttoner View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutebuttoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 8:51am
I posted on this topic on the old forums and a person suffering from depression took it personally. Glad someone with the condition started a thread because this commercial is SO ANNOYING!!!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 9:06am
As for SSRIs, I started out on Prozac, but I needed increased dosages, which then made me very tired.  I was switched to Zoloft, which works really well.  But what made the night-and-day difference for me was Buspar, which is for anxiety.  I'm like a whole different person (thank God).

I haven't had any side effects from these meds, as far as I know, but years ago I suffered from horrible withdrawal symptoms from Elavil (Ametryptiline).  This was a psychiatrist who had no idea that you had to wean yourself off the stuff and not just STOP.  I swear, I thought I was dying.  It was horrifying.

I have a real love-hate relationship with the pharmaceutical companies.  I take so many different medications, and I know they have saved me physically and mentally, but I hate that they get away with overcharging Americans.  They claim it's because they need the money for research and development.  I think if they stopped all the damned advertising, they'd be saving a buttload of money.  And then there's the payola they give to doctors.

Our whole system is broken.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by mutebuttoner mutebuttoner wrote:

I posted on this topic on the old forums and a person suffering from depression took it personally. Glad someone with the condition started a thread because this commercial is SO ANNOYING!!!

I think you are making an assumption about me, as I am the one who started this thread. 

Not taking this personally, however - I wanted to clarify that I am not an experienced sufferer.  I have a very basic understanding of the various medications available as treatment.

I do think that this commercial is very effective at conveying the essence of depression.  Maybe they fall short at defining the blues, as opposed to clinical depression.  The images, the melancholy music...sheesh it's certainly not subliminal.  There is obvious psychology at work in the design of this one.   As I said - it bums me the hell out and I'm convinced that is the intention of the ad.

By 'hating it, I reject the tendency to hang on to the proposed bummitude.  I do wonder if the ad preys upton those teetering on the brink of depression, however.  "If you think you're depressed, you are.  You owe it to your family and your dog to take our pill and perk up."  I resent this message, and do not appreciate the 30 seconds of sorrow this ad sucks me into whenever it comes on to my TV. 

Peace Ying%20Yang

Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

As for SSRIs, I started out on Prozac, but I needed increased dosages, which then made me very tired.  I was switched to Zoloft, which works really well.  But what made the night-and-day difference for me was Buspar, which is for anxiety.  I'm like a whole different person (thank God).

Buspar is what enabled me to leave the house by myself again.  I love it.  The sad thing is the fact that I had to suggest Buspar to my doctor.  I wanted something that would treat the anxiety at all times, not when I was in the middle of an anxiety attack.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 4:10pm
Stupid luvox made me insulin resistant. I kept telling my doctors about the symptoms, some of which were extreme weight gain and the increasing inability to eat any kind of sugar or processed grain without having terrible mood swings, getting the jitters, and then crashing. My doctors kept ignoring me, telling me to just eat less and exercise (which I was already doing - which I would then tell me, and they would say that I just have to exercise  more, eat even less). I finally took myself off of the drug because I knew that no one was going to listen at all, and that something was seriously wrong, although at the time I did not know what. Now I can no longer eat sugar, potatoes, wheat, or rice because my body just can't handle them. Also, I recently saw ads for another similar drug (forgot what it was called) that mentioned if you experience any symptoms like mine you should tell your doctor and discontinue use immediately - evidently some people actually died. I was kept on this drug for two years despite all my complaining. Obviously my doctors weren't all that concerned with what might happen to me.Angry
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 4:33pm
Yutolia, I'd be telling my friend "Sue" about what happened to you - and no, I'm not one for lawsuits.  They had no regard for your health.

I've had to fire a few doctors because of medication disagreements.  I'm the patient - I know what's happening to my mind and body - I'm the boss here.  I've had my best experiences with nurse practitioners.  They tend to be better listeners and don't have the "doctor's ego" to defend.  (I'm not saying all docs are egotistical, but I have run into some very uncaring, not willing to listen doctors.  They obviously flunked "bedside manner 101".)

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 6:26pm
Yeah, I've been considering it. Obviously, since there are now warnings about the problems I was experiencing on some of the drug commercials, there must have been others who had the same problems. Right now, I'm just glad I'm off the drugs and am finally righting myself again.
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 8:01pm
After suffering untreated depression from the age of about 10 years old, a crisis situation finally drove me to tell my problem to my doc.  He put me on the little-old-lady's dose of fluoxetine, and I've never looked back.  I have periodic blues, but they are situational (i.e., I have a damned good reason to feel Da Blues) instead of miasmic.  The med evens me out; I do not feel dopey or sleepy (or any other Dwarf), and I am one of the extraordinarily lucky folks to get the right med at the right dose on the first try.

Having said all that, I dislike the Cymbalta ad  because I now associate that particular piece of music with sorrow. 
Love endures all.
JimA View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2008 at 7:59am
Originally posted by MrsHill MrsHill wrote:

I've had to fire a few doctors because of medication disagreements.  I'm the patient - I know what's happening to my mind and body - I'm the boss here.  I've had my best experiences with nurse practitioners.  They tend to be better listeners and don't have the "doctor's ego" to defend.  (I'm not saying all docs are egotistical, but I have run into some very uncaring, not willing to listen doctors.  They obviously flunked "bedside manner 101".)

I had a nurse practitioner give me something for depression and for sleep. I didn't get much sleep, but I spent some time in 3 am face to face conversations with my ex-wife, who was 700 miles away at the time, and other people who didn't exist. My insurance doesn't pay for her, so I'll have to find something else. But most doctors I deal with here seem to have no clue how to treat depression, but seem to either want to experiment with me or ignore me.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2008 at 8:12am
Originally posted by JimA JimA wrote:

I had a nurse practitioner give me something for depression and for sleep. I didn't get much sleep, but I spent some time in 3 am face to face conversations with my ex-wife, who was 700 miles away at the time, and other people who didn't exist. My insurance doesn't pay for her, so I'll have to find something else. But most doctors I deal with here seem to have no clue how to treat depression, but seem to either want to experiment with me or ignore me.

Jim, I thought you meant that your insurance didn't pay for your wife (your hallucination)! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic