Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

McDonalds: White People Are Stupid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 6:05pm
Princess, I had no intention of labeling fast food employees as incometent. I don't experience fast food very often since I retired. When I was working I used a drive-thru about 4 or 5 times per month and my orders were correct about 99% of the time if I did not request anything different. I suspected that the pickle delete problem was as you pointed out, a communication breakdown between the cashier and the preparer. Many years ago I just stopped making this request. I could pick them off or just eat them. No big deal. My attempt at humor was that I still received the pickles at Burger King when their advertizing slogan was "have it your way".
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 6:18pm
(WinkFast-Food work simply beats the crap out of working in a Collections Call Center, doncha know)
~~~
Big smileI'll always treat the fast-food workers with respect as long as I can see the kitchen and am *not* eating in a Canadian fast-food joint. A few of our own pups worked fast-food while in college, or when lounging around believing we would support them (which was incredibly stupid - and they're only a percentage white!).
In other countries and certain communities in the U.S. where very few last names exist, I have run into really bad fast-food and fast-food service. Yea, I have done things that have brought the police (threw a burger back across the counter, took the top off of a baaad milkshake and turned it over (really fast) onto the counter), but the police always ended up agreeing with me and wanted to play, tooWink.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by PrincessOfTheAncient PrincessOfTheAncient wrote:

Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Originally posted by JimAyzing JimAyzing wrote:

I honestly do not see this commercial showing that white people are stupid. I am forgetful of things and like the guy in the commercial, I do forget if I get just a little distracted.

Yeah, this is really a bit of a stretch now.

Frankly, as a white McDonald's employee, I'm pretty offended by the comments in this thread about McDonald's employees. I'm working on my education. Sorry that what I'm doing to get by isn't glamorous enough for you guys.

HEY! I was a white McDonald's employee and yes, it did put me through 2-1/2 years of college! It may not have been a glamorous job, but it was a lot of fun. Mostly everyone was the same age, and I made a lot of friends and some fleeting romances! 1978-1981 were my Golden Arches days. Ha - now I'm looking at my golden years! (soon enough, anyway!)

Exactly.

It's not my dream career or anything, but I'm making the most of it. I've met a lot of really nice people working there and I think it's actually helped improve my people skills, if anything.

More power to you.  I worked at Hardee's for exactly 4 days before I quit (most of my co-workers were druggees, an asst. manager ran a phantom payroll on me, and the franchise owner was so anal that he had the managers inventory the hamburger patties (and weigh opened bags of fries!) every few hours.)  Not for me.  I'd rather steal aluminum cans out of recycling bins before working fast food again....
TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 12:51am
I have no idea why McDonald's is so racist against the black people.

They do all these ads showing black people and it's like McDonald's is saying, "You're black and you can't afford anything except the dollar menu because you don't make money."

No idea how they get away with the racism.
TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 12:54am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Princess, I had no intention of labeling fast food employees as incometent. I don't experience fast food very often since I retired. When I was working I used a drive-thru about 4 or 5 times per month and my orders were correct about 99% of the time if I did not request anything different. I suspected that the pickle delete problem was as you pointed out, a communication breakdown between the cashier and the preparer. Many years ago I just stopped making this request. I could pick them off or just eat them. No big deal. My attempt at humor was that I still received the pickles at Burger King when their advertizing slogan was "have it your way".

I had lots of problems at fast food restaurants.

the other night the cashier took 2 mins to count 40 cents change for me. he kept staring at his hand, then the register, then his hand, then the register, then his hand, then the register. Then he gave me my soda and didn't even put the straw in the bag.

As I drove away I thought, "No wonder he works in fast food." LOL
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 1:49am
One more product of our public "school" (not bashing the teachers) system. If the register was functioning it would have showed him the correct change. Maybe it was down. About 20 years ago I was making a $1.68 purchase at a local dimestore. When I handed the teenage cashier $2 she pulled out a calculator. I asked what was the problem? She replied that the computer cash register was not working. I informed her that the change was $.32. She then asked "are you sure"? I replied "yes". She then asked "how did you do that"? I replied "When I attended public school they were still actually teaching us something".
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 2:14am
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

I know what you're talking about. If you can actually get something deleted you are lucky.

I make requests at Whataburger all the time and get them right, they seem to be pretty good about this.

As for McDonalds, I go there when I want something breakfast related, really really quickly. Anytime I'm not in an extreme hurry(and don't want to cook myself or go to a sitdown restaurant) I go to Whataburger.
Ah yes Whataburger. I had those a couple of times when visiting Texas. Also In-N-Out burger in California. In the late 1960's to early 1970's we had a couple of independent drive in's and most A&W's that had good food and young waitresses in short skirts on rollerskates serving at your car window. How Anti-PC. There were no young waiters in short skirts on rollerskates. Sorry. Things were much different then.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 3:51am

One more product of our public "school" (not bashing the teachers) system. If the register was functioning it would have showed him the correct change. Maybe it was down. About 20 years ago I was making a $1.68 purchase at a local dimestore. When I handed the teenage cashier $2 she pulled out a calculator. I asked what was the problem? She replied that the computer cash register was not working. I informed her that the change was $.32. She then asked "are you sure"? I replied "yes". She then asked "how did you do that"? I replied "When I attended public school they were still actually teaching us something".

"Is it still necessary for kids to learn their times table when they can pick up their iPhone and ask Siri what is 20 times 2?" asked Dan Domenech, executive director of the American Association of School Administrators.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 5:02am
So Sad. We did'nt have calculators. We did have slide rules although nowdays I would not know one end of one from the other.
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 11:54am

Fair enough.

I apologize if I overreacted. I believe that you weren't trying to insult anyone. I just have a tendency to defend what I do to make a living right now, even when it's not necessary, because while a lot of people don't mean any offense, there are still people who really do think fast food employees are somehow beneath them and so I react to it a little sensitively.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Originally posted by JimAyzing JimAyzing wrote:

I honestly do not see this commercial showing that white people are stupid. I am forgetful of things and like the guy in the commercial, I do forget if I get just a little distracted.

Yeah, this is really a bit of a stretch now.

Frankly, as a white McDonald's employee, I'm pretty offended by the comments in this thread about McDonald's employees. I'm working on my education. Sorry that what I'm doing to get by isn't glamorous enough for you guys.

HEY! I was a white McDonald's employee and yes, it did put me through 2-1/2 years of college! It may not have been a glamorous job, but it was a lot of fun. Mostly everyone was the same age, and I made a lot of friends and some fleeting romances! 1978-1981 were my Golden Arches days. Ha - now I'm looking at my golden years! (soon enough, anyway!)

Exactly.

It's not my dream career or anything, but I'm making the most of it. I've met a lot of really nice people working there and I think it's actually helped improve my people skills, if anything.

More power to you.  I worked at Hardee's for exactly 4 days before I quit (most of my co-workers were druggees, an asst. manager ran a phantom payroll on me, and the franchise owner was so anal that he had the managers inventory the hamburger patties (and weigh opened bags of fries!) every few hours.)  Not for me.  I'd rather steal aluminum cans out of recycling bins before working fast food again....

Thanks.

I can understand why you quit so soon, and I too have worked at a place (not fast food, though - Toys 'R' Us, to be exact) where I didn't even last for two weeks. I actually got fired, but I was already about to quit after the first day.

I worked with a lot of unfriendly people and they took the job way too seriously, especially for a position they didn't even train me at. One thing I've never heard coming from any previous employers was that I was bad at my job, except for at Toys 'R' Us.

And I can understand why some people wouldn't enjoy the work too. Working there for the last two years, I've honestly gotten used to just about everything but when I began working there, I used to hate coming to work. Of course, working with someone who bullied me at the time didn't help matters, but I honestly used to hate flipping burgers and making sandwiches. I didn't really have a choice but work there or be unemployed again and financially depend on my parents for everything, so I just forced myself to deal with it. It required a lot of patience on my part not to quit while I was still relatively new to which a lot of people would have just said "screw it" and quit. Tongue
+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
PrincessMorbucks View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessMorbucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 4:22pm
I'm black, and this commercial tells me two things:

1. We're all douches who put ourselves on pedestals.
2. We can't afford anything else but McDick's and Popeye's Fried Chicken.

Handshake Good job, McDick's. As if we didn't have enough issues.
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by PrincessMorbucks PrincessMorbucks wrote:

We can't afford anything else but McDick's and Popeye's Fried Chicken.

And don't forget how you jump out of prissy white folks cars to avoid having to share an appetizer (Golden Corral).
PrincessMorbucks View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessMorbucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 4:46pm
Oh, I hate that place now...the food isn't all that good.
dizrythmia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 9:19am

ugh, how sad. 20 years ago i was in school and i can freaking make change. what baffles me is if your total is something odd like your aforementioned $1.68. i hand them, say, $5.13 (or maybe 18 if i have a nickel) so i won't get back a buttload of change. they'll look at me weird and and start to give me my change back and say "but it's only $1.68" and then i have to find the most non-condescending way possible to tell them to just punch it in and see what the register tells you. sometimes they act like i did a magic trick when it says i get back a quarter, 50¢, whatever, rather than a bunch of nickels, dimes, and pennies.

jesus christ i'm only 28, so when someone around my age is acting that brain-dead it's so depressing. it shouldn't surprise me though, when i took chemistry in high school there were kids who couldn't convert liters to...milliliters. not even getting into the whole metric to imperial conversions, just metric conversions confused them. good lord.

as for this mcdonald's ad, i've not seen it on tv but i hate their ads in general. unless it's a mccafé ad i think they all seem to have a little bit of racism somewhere deep down. some are more blatant than others of course, but it's only a matter of time before this becomes a reality...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by dizrythmia dizrythmia wrote:

ugh, how sad. 20 years ago i was in school and i can freaking make change. what baffles me is if your total is something odd like your aforementioned $1.68. i hand them, say, $5.13 (or maybe 18 if i have a nickel) so i won't get back a buttload of change. they'll look at me weird and and start to give me my change back and say "but it's only $1.68" and then i have to find the most non-condescending way possible to tell them to just punch it in and see what the register tells you. sometimes they act like i did a magic trick when it says i get back a quarter, 50¢, whatever, rather than a bunch of nickels, dimes, and pennies.

jesus christ i'm only 28, so when someone around my age is acting that brain-dead it's so depressing. it shouldn't surprise me though, when i took chemistry in high school there were kids who couldn't convert liters to...milliliters. not even getting into the whole metric to imperial conversions, just metric conversions confused them. good lord.

as for this mcdonald's ad, i've not seen it on tv but i hate their ads in general. unless it's a mccafé ad i think they all seem to have a little bit of racism somewhere deep down. some are more blatant than others of course, but it's only a matter of time before this becomes a reality...
I've previously told the story of the Taco Bell employee who had to count on her fingers to figure my change (she had an electronic register that told her he amount, if she could only read it). I bought a burrito for 99 cents and gave her a dollar. She counted o her fingers over and over before I told her "one of those copper-brown things will do..."
Yesterday was almost as bad.
Went into a Mighty Taco establishment and got a $1.49 BBQ burrito (which was not what I asked for, but it cost more and I liked it better, so I kept it). Somehow, the clerk rang up $1.33, even though they have little buttons with pictures on them, these days - kind of like 'Play School' cash registers. I gave the girl $2, she hands me back 65 cents and says, "I owe you two cents".
"o.k....so, what are you going to do about it?" was my response.
She got totally discombobulated walked back towards the kitchen, turned around and came back to the register and gave me a dollar.
"There you go, Sir".
It really doesn't matter what color one is or where they are from - so many of today's kids appear to be direct results of inbreeding failures.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

[QUOTE=dizrythmia]I've previously told the story of the Taco Bell employee who had to count on her fingers to figure my change (she had an electronic register that told her he amount, if she could only read it). I bought a burrito for 99 cents and gave her a dollar. She counted o her fingers over and over before I told her "one of those copper-brown things will do..."

WHAAAAT?  Confused 

On the flipside, when I delivered pizzas I always calculated the change in my head right on the spot in front of the customer.  I don't know how many times it went like:

Customer: "How much is it?"
Me: "13.63"
Customer: *hands me a $20*
Me: "Okay, 6.37 will be your change."
Customer: "Wow that was quick math!  Give me back .. ummmmmmm just keep 2 for yourself and whatever the loose change was, and give me back the rest."

It's sad when being able to do simple addition and subtraction without a calculator wows people.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 3:45pm
I'm always surprised at people who need to use a calculator or a chart to figure out the tip.  If the bill is $38.45 and you want to give a 15% tip, divide it by 10 and add 1/2.  That'd be $3.84 plus approx $1.90.  Make that $4 (10%) and $2 (1/2 of that).  Tip will be $6.  Pretty easy.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 3:53pm
Pa - Play Skool cash register! LMAO!

Ha! Speaking of McDonald's (which is how this thread started) back in my days working there we had those big clunky registers and we had to figure out the tax in our heads. (it was 5% so that ws easy). Big Macs were 99cents back then. If someone ordered 3, I would punch in $2.97 instead of .99, .99, .99. It ALWAYS floored people "HEY HEY HEY - WHAT'S $2.97??? YOU MADE A MISTAKE!"
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm always surprised at people who need to use a calculator or a chart to figure out the tip.  If the bill is $38.45 and you want to give a 15% tip, divide it by 10 and add 1/2.  That'd be $3.84 plus approx $1.90.  Make that $4 (10%) and $2 (1/2 of that).  Tip will be $6.  Pretty easy.

The way I've learned it (my mother's mother taught her this way, but apparently it's 'incorrect'.) is to just multiply. So to get 15% you'd multiple 38.45 by .15
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

The way I've learned it (my mother's mother taught her this way, but apparently it's 'incorrect'.) is to just multiply. So to get 15% you'd multiple 38.45 by .15

Well, yeah...but that might require an actual calculator.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 7:54pm
a napkin and a pen do well enough for me :P
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

ConfusedYou two are both wimps.
Use 'Men's Math' when it comes to the cute waitress' tip - it's really simple!

$38.45x.15=($38.45x.1+SUM(($38.45x.1)/2)+the number of 'YES' answers to the below questions:
  • Did she bring you a 'beer on the house'?
  • Did she smile and give you her phone number?
  • Did she give ya a 'lap dance' there at Denny's?

Final Calculations:

• '1 yes'= add 5% for this tip,
  • '2 yes'=sounds like an affair is in oder, give her a 50% tip and make sure ya get those 'Cialis Bathtubs' ready...and remember that there 'latex baloon'. 
  • '3 yes' = You are in West Virginia and you're a member of the Hatfield family. Tell your sister to quit it and go home before her husband (your daddy) finds out what's she doing before dinnertime, dagnabit!.
(old ladies and male or gay waiters? Leave 'em $3 and don't make eye contact when you bolt)

Wink...and YEA - I'm joking. You should *always* give the old ladies at leasr 20 percent, doncha know..
TheNilvarg View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNilvarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 8:00pm
Yeah, McDonalds has been pandering to minorities for years now. It's getting old. I miss Ronald McDonald.
calzonesays View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calzonesays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 11:53pm
vast majority of fast food employees seem to be a bit on the slow side.  I don't eat fast food very often but when I do my orders usually get screwed up.  It's ridiculous. 

Called up once when my whole order got screwed up at Taco Bell and the manager had the nerve to say "Mistakes happen".  Yeah really?  I didn't pay $6 for "mistakes".  I paid $6 for my order to be correct. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic