Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Beckham is not taking his shirt off.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Beckham is not taking his shirt off.
    Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 10:43pm
I'm sure this whole ad campaign has been lampooned. Burger King roping in some of the least-relevant, most obnoxious celebrities they can find (Jay Leno, Stephen Tyler) and plopping them in one of their locations to hawk their terrible food. 

David Beckham is the one that is just confuses me. In the one's I've seen, he turns the manager of the Burger King gay in one commercial, and then is told to take his shirt off by an entire crowd of horny women in another. 

Basically... what? David Beckham? What is this, the 90's? No soccer fans take this guy seriously anymore, and if he's some kind of sex symbol, it's news to me. 

Keep with the times, Burger King. Shell out extra bucks and have Michael Fassbender hawk your sludge. 

Also -- is it just me, or do they say "tub and get it!" at the end of their commercials? If so, refreshing honesty. 
Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:03pm
Shell out extra bucks and have Michael Fassbender hawk your sludge.
Never heard of him either.  So much for "No shirt, no shoes, no service".
Cathode_Ray View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathode_Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:19pm
The female employees got more of the mess on their shirts than he did - THEY should take their shirts off.
"Some things are unexplained, until they are." - Dr. Walter Bishop
sjchevalier07 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjchevalier07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 6:31am
These Burger King commercials have been pretty lame. Steven Tyler, Jay Leno,and David Beckham have just not done it for me. It is ads like these that make me actually miss the Burger King. I would give anything to see him return a punt in a commercial again.
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 9:28am
Who's Michael Fassbender? No, seriously. I've no idea who that guy is. Embarrassed

Mary J. Blige was supposed to be in one of those commercials, but it got canned because the commercial she was cast in supposedly shilled a chicken product, and Mary J. Blige is, well, you've seen her before.

It got banned for being "racist", because I guess black people aren't allowed to eat chicken anymore? LOL

+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 9:46am

That's pretty much it! They're not allowed to be anything but 'empowered'.

It would have been more interesting if they'd hired Macy Gray...the inappropriateness of a black person eating fried chicken...not to mention a woman who sounds like Donald Duck eating fried chicken.LOL
Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Just Googled him; he's a movie actor, in lots of stuff I haven't seen-'Inglorious Basterds', the new one, 'Prometheus', and he played Magneto in the last X-Men flick. Skinny, 'serious' looking dude.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 9:52am
Oh, goodness. I was hoping we've all forgotten about Macy Gray.

Everything Macy Gray does is an embarrassment for black people. She's just so obnoxious.
Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 1:35pm
meh. it's better than the past commercials like coq roq, the king, hootie and the blowfish guy, that motiviational speaker, etc.

Originally posted by PrincessOfTheAncient PrincessOfTheAncient wrote:

Mary J. Blige was supposed to be in one of those commercials, but it got canned because the commercial she was cast in supposedly shilled a chicken product, and Mary J. Blige is, well, you've seen her before.

It got banned for being "racist", because I guess black people aren't allowed to eat chicken anymore? LOL

they're not allowed to anymore. they're only allowed to eat big macs,
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 2:13pm
I don't even get why the manager is so adament about him staying clothed. Isn't the point of DB being in the ad to attract that lonely woman demographic? Had he taken his shirt off it would have probably made the ad more appealing to them so why not just do it. It would have been even better if right after the manager says David Beckham is NOT taking his shirt off we get a cut to him just holding his shirt in one had with a "shirt back on?" face. There was absolutely no reason to be like OMG NO, SHIRT MUST STAY ON! Obviously a lot of homophobic old men work at BK and can't stand the thought of OKing a shirtless man in their ads."I AIN'T NO HOMO THE SHIRT MUST STAY ON".
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Obie Obie wrote:

Just Googled him; he's a movie actor, in lots of stuff I haven't seen-'Inglorious Basterds', the new one, 'Prometheus', and he played Magneto in the last X-Men flick. Skinny, 'serious' looking dude.

His first film appearance was in 300, as one of the "main" Spartans(I forget which), plus he was also in another "sword and sandals"/"heroic bloodshed period piece" type flick called Centurion, based on the disappearance of the IX Legion(The Eagle, which received more attention, came out around the same time and was based on the same events, but was for me less entertaining). He's currently considered a "rising star" in Hollywood.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 2:40pm
^^  I don't get that either, Hez.  If the manager's reasoning is that it would be too distracting for the females and work wouldn't get done, the commercial fails to convey that.

Of course, maybe they have the policy "no shirt, no shoes, no service".  If so, they should've shown that sign.

Otherwise, there seems to be no point to that part of the commercial.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 3:09pm
I hate it when DB says the words "shirt off?" like he's never heard them before.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I don't even get why the manager is so adament about him staying clothed. Isn't the point of DB being in the ad to attract that lonely woman demographic? Had he taken his shirt off it would have probably made the ad more appealing to them so why not just do it. It would have been even better if right after the manager says David Beckham is NOT taking his shirt off we get a cut to him just holding his shirt in one had with a "shirt back on?" face. There was absolutely no reason to be like OMG NO, SHIRT MUST STAY ON! Obviously a lot of homophobic old men work at BK and can't stand the thought of OKing a shirtless man in their ads."I AIN'T NO HOMO THE SHIRT MUST STAY ON".

I got a similar feeling, but didn't want to voice it. It's odd how a lot of men (Not just on television, I've seen this behaviour in real life as well) feel they have to act 100% offended, grossed out, or repulsed by anything having to do with the 'beauty' of their gender. A shirtless man=oh my god, what do you think I am, a [bundle of twigs]? I don't want to look at that!

That being said, I've come across pictures of this guy shirtless...and it's honestly nothing to be impressed of. Facially, I find him to be uninspiring as well, but then again, I've always had this thing about NOT finding it attractive when guys have eyes that are in a "perma-squint".
TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 9:29pm
Burger King is getting lame.

The whole trend of "Let's wait ten years and finally get the same food as McDonald's and claim we are so amazing" has to stop.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 10:29pm
Wasn't BK's new slogan something like "Exciting things are happening at Burger King." So what does a bunch of "celebrities" have to do with their food?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 11:55pm

Wasn't BK's new slogan something like "Exciting things are happening at Burger King." So what does a bunch of "celebrities" have to do with their food?

Maybe, by "exciting things are happening at Burger King", they're referring to this:

tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 5:24am
BK's food has seriously fallen off. I used to love their Whoppers, but it's changed, and not for the better.

Their new fries are crap. I don't know how, but anytime I've eaten there, it tastes like the food was saturated in some kind of chemical beforehand. I'll pass.
The poster formerly known as producer757
sjchevalier07 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjchevalier07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 7:44am

Who's Michael Fassbender? No, seriously. I've no idea who that guy is. Embarrassed

If that's true,then the lady from the Popeye's commercials is sure to get her pink slip anyday now.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 8:53am
Originally posted by sjchevalier07 sjchevalier07 wrote:

If that's true,then the lady from the Popeye's commercials is sure to get her pink slip anyday now.

Correction: It wasn't pulled "for being racist", but the advertisement still stirred controversy. My point still stands.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

meh. it's better than the past commercials like coq roq, the king, hootie and the blowfish guy, that motiviational speaker, etc.

they're not allowed to anymore. they're only allowed to eat big macs,

And then that'll eventually become a racial stereotype too, so I guess they won't be allowed to like Big Macs either. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic