Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Angies list

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 6:18pm
Which commercial has a black woman in it?  I don't see any in the one posted here.
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I wonder when they're gonna adopt the Stones' classic "Angie" with altered lyrics as their theme song...

"Angie... Aaaaiiiiinnn - geh.... who should I trust to paint my hou - oo - ou - ou - ous?????"

The possibilities are endless.

Cry
"Angie... Aaaaiiiiinnn - geh.... your braces make me bleed and cry ou -  ou - ou - och!!!"

LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Stacy Stacy wrote:

Which commercial has a black woman in it?  I don't see any in the one posted here.
There are a few 'Angie's List' commercials - one indeed has a well-spoken, sophisticaed woman of color complimenting the service. Currently cannot review videos, so cannot say if it was posted.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 7:47pm

She's in this one.  She was probably too busy busy busy busy busy to be in the other one.

Pervis View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pervis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 10:36pm
I hate the busy, busy, busy woman because at the end of the ad she SMUGLY states "Oh Angie? I have her on speed dial."  Wow...you really must be some f***ing genius.  You signed up for a pointless pay service and then somehow managed to figure out how to program the number for them into your phone.  You must have several doctorate degrees!!!!

Ermm
dreamboat View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 11:34pm
I'm glad someone else noticed the seemingly slavish devotion to unnatractive casting in these ads. Even when they swap out the people in a different ad, the new faces are equally hard to look at. I assume this is genius advertising, and I'm simply too dense to recognize it.  
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Pervis Pervis wrote:

I hate the busy, busy, busy woman because at the end of the ad she SMUGLY states "Oh Angie? I have her on speed dial."  Wow...you really must be some f***ing genius.  You signed up for a pointless pay service and then somehow managed to figure out how to program the number for them into your phone.  You must have several doctorate degrees!!!!

Ermm

That's what I don't understand. Angies List is a website where one looks up legit/good contractors.
Why would she call?
Pervis View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pervis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

That's what I don't understand. Angies List is a website where one looks up legit/good contractors.
Why would she call?

It was founded in 1995 back before the internet was widely used by the suckers who get roped into this type of stupid service.  So, they have have a call center for these techno-morons still trapped in the 90's.
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 3:48am
It was founded in 1995 back before the internet was widely used by the suckers who get roped into this type of stupid service.  

Ummm.....uhh........I just joined Embarrassed 

Truth be told, I happen to be one of the most frugal people on the planet and never sign up for ANYthing. Don't even subscribe to magazines and insist on being in control of the food shopping.

BUT, we are currently getting screwed over by Roofer #2. My husband has many years of construction experience, but can only do so much. Before we get any more work done on the house, I need something more reliable than word-of-mouth (the second roofer did work on his parents' house many years ago, and they did fine........back then.)

Oh, and Angie's List had a deeply discounted offer, so for that reason I figured why not. I've tried Google and Yelp etc. but there isn't a whole lot about contractors.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 8:54am
So question-which is worse, a paid celebrity endorser who has likely never actually used the product or service in their life, or a group of people like these who clearly have NO screen presence, charisma, or capability for acting, but who probably HAVE used the actual service?
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

She's in this one.  She was probably too busy busy busy busy busy to be in the other one.

I see she went to the "Stevie Wonder House of Hair and Beauty. "
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

It was founded in 1995 back before the internet was widely used by the suckers who get roped into this type of stupid service.  

Ummm.....uhh........I just joined Embarrassed 

Truth be told, I happen to be one of the most frugal people on the planet and never sign up for ANYthing. Don't even subscribe to magazines and insist on being in control of the food shopping.

BUT, we are currently getting screwed over by Roofer #2. My husband has many years of construction experience, but can only do so much. Before we get any more work done on the house, I need something more reliable than word-of-mouth (the second roofer did work on his parents' house many years ago, and they did fine........back then.)

Oh, and Angie's List had a deeply discounted offer, so for that reason I figured why not. I've tried Google and Yelp etc. but there isn't a whole lot about contractors.

You could also use the local BBB (Better Business Bureau). If a company is a member, that's usually a safe bet. Also, find out how long a company has been in business in your area. The longer they've been around, the more of a reputation they have to protect. The bigger companies are usually the ones who are the more established ones. You may wind up paying a little bit more up front, but it's worth it because they'll do the job right, give you a warranty that you can have some faith in & them being around to honor & of course you save money in the long run by not having to go out & hire someone else to fix the screw ups done by the first company's half-assed work.

But even then, you still need to be careful.

I had a new roof put on my house about 5 years ago. I hired one of the "bigger" established local companies, based on the fact that the owner, a professed Christian, was part of a panel of local contractors who did a Saturday morning radio call-in show on a well known local conservative AM station. I checked the BBB of course & though there were a few complaints, the BBB said they had worked with the customer to resolve them. So I hired them after getting a quote that was in line with all the other verbal estimates I'd gotten from a few other smaller companies & they got the permit then came out & did a thorough, professional job, adhering to all the local building codes.

The problem was, after the job was done, I found a few small spots around the eaves where rain was seeping thru where it shouldn't have. I called them up & they scheduled a guy to come out on a given day. He never showed up. Later, he called me & told me an emergency had come up on a big job & the company needed every guy there. I know how that goes having worked for a contractor before. So he said he'd come out the next day & I told him to wait until after three. Again, he never showed so I called his cell phone & he claimed he had come earlier in the day when I wasn't home & did the work. Well I looked at the spots & that was BS. He hadn't been there nor done anything. I called back again & finally got someone to come out, but it was a young kid in a small company truck with NO TOOLS OR MATERIALS WHATSOEVER. NOTHING. Anyway, he got up on the roof (using my ladder) & ran the garden hose over the area where I said it was leaking, but he couldn't get it to leak.

Long story short, using MY can of roof patching cement, he DID find the source of two leaks & fixed them, but more importantly, imparted some valuable knowldge to me about where those types of leaks were most likely to occur & where I should keep my eye on. Since then, whenever these edge leaks have cropped up, I just fix them myself mainly because the company has gone out of business (hence my warranty is useless) & also because I found out the hard way that even though they did a basically good job initially, their warranty service sucked. I later found a website where several other people had similar problems with them.

So far, the roof is holding up well & I hope it continues to do so, but I still occasionally have to do small leak fixes around the edges.

There is an even bigger local roofing commpany than the one I used. Probably the biggest in the area. Looking back, I should've just went with them. They're still in business & probably honor their warranties.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 6:50pm
Anyone notice how her hairdo makes that "busy busy busy busy busy busy busy busy busy busy" woman's head appear to be perfectly round from all angles no matter where she's looking or where her face is turned?  She can be looking down, up, to the side - still perfectly round.

Now that's talent.
Pervis View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pervis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 6:53pm
Why I think it is a scam:  they charge a fee for people to be members, which is supposed to only encourage honest reviews which is total bullsh**.  If I'm a contractor or any other service provider who charges a big amount of money for my work, there is nothing stopping me from signing up a few accounts, spending the discounted fee for the first month, and posting fake positive reviews of my service.  Then you as a customer are paying to use a service that is nothing more than a paid for advertising service.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 11:23pm

The problem was, after the job was done, I found a few small spots around the eaves where rain was seeping thru where it shouldn't have. I called them up & they scheduled a guy to come out on a given day. He never showed up. 
Long story short, using MY can of roof patching cement, he DID find the source of two leaks & fixed them, but more importantly, imparted some valuable knowldge to me about where those types of leaks were most likely to occur & where I should keep my eye on. Since then, whenever these edge leaks have cropped up, I just fix them myself mainly because the company has gone out of business (hence my warranty is useless) & also because I found out the hard way that even though they did a basically good job initially, their warranty service sucked. I later found a website where several other people had similar problems with them.

So far, the roof is holding up well & I hope it continues to do so, but I still occasionally have to do small leak fixes around the edges.

Why just the edges? Confused Low pitched (4/12 or lower) roof?

Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 2:11am
Jimbo- this is a pretty large local company that does work on pretty high-end buildings. We can't even get them to call us back. Based on some reviews, it seems they don't put small jobs like ours high on their priority list. They may get back to us at some point, but after 4 calls and conversations with the receptionist, it's not looking so good.

They are pretty well-rated with the BBB, which is when I realized I couldn't go entirely by the BBB info.

As for contractors signing on themselves, that's possible, but they do ask you a whole bunch of questions when you sign up, like an interview!

In any case, I'm kinda desperate. And I watch enough Holmes on Homes to distrust all contractors!! When it comes to hiring them, I figure it's not a matter of IF you get screwed ('cause you will), it's how MUCH you get screwed over. We're just lucky we haven't spent tens of thousands.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

The problem was, after the job was done, I found a few small spots around the eaves where rain was seeping thru where it shouldn't have. I called them up & they scheduled a guy to come out on a given day. He never showed up. 

Why just the edges? Confused Low pitched (4/12 or lower) roof?

Flat.

Tar & gravel.

Due to expansion & contraction from temperature change, the edge flashing moves a tiny amount where the pieces overlap. Eventually that causes small cracks in the tar & underlayment that allow water to seep thru to the decking.

I took the vinyl soffitt & aluminum fascia off prior to having the roof work done & never put it back on, just so I can visually inspect for water stains, the fascia, the underside of the eaves & the 1x2 nailer that the flashing covers whenever I want.

It's really only one spot along the back that I occasionally have a problem with.

Seems to be a slight dip there or something.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by alvis_w alvis_w wrote:

The seem to want to have the ugliest people in the world on their commercials. There is one woman on there i joke she had to find a contractor to reinforce her floors and widen her doors.

LMFAO! That is so true! That woman is HUGE!!
I also hate Angie's stalker, the "I love you Angie!" guy. That guy has always weirded me out.

And the lady with the horrible processed hair-do is equally annoying.

These commercials SUCK!
One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

I also hate Angie's stalker, the "I love you Angie!" guy. That guy has always weirded me out.

I get the whole "regular person" thing, but you'd think they'd at least screen-test a buncha "regular" people, and select the best.  I don't think he'd be among them.

Or, they should've at least given him some quick acting lessons.  His timing when he says "Sorry, honey" is really bad.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 7:56pm
Anybody else sick of the music in these ads? It's repetitive, rapid and annoying.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 8:58pm
You know, in Las Vegas, Nevada, we went through about eight+ handymen. All sucked, all f**ked up something in some way.

In BOTH rural towns we lived in, the best workers were BOTH unlicenced. They knew what they were doing, had years of experience, and should any problem arise, they'd take time out of their PERSONAL time to come over and fix it.

Added irony: The licenced guys' stuff was rarely up-to-code, and in the case of a tiny overhang, was considered dangerous enough to require immediately removal.

Both unlicenced guys always passed code, and back in Arizona he built us a detached garage, and a fully enclosed patio.

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
RaiderFanMikeP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaiderFanMikeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 2:11am
I hate the guy who keeps "stealing" his wifes' lines!  that smile on his face when she first starts talking makes me want to put my foot into his face! 
Miseryguts View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

I get the whole "regular person" thing, but you'd think they'd at least screen-test a buncha "regular" people, and select the best.  I don't think he'd be among them.

Or, they should've at least given him some quick acting lessons.  His timing when he says "Sorry, honey" is really bad.

Have you noticed that "honey" isn't in shot? Probably because she's 9 years old and tied up on his couch.
dizrythmia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

That black ladies hair cut is god awful, she reminds me of this:

yes! i'm glad it isn't just me. they're separated at birth.
Miseryguts View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 2:55pm

I wonder when they're gonna adopt the Stones' classic "Angie" with altered lyrics as their theme song...

"Angie... Aaaaiiiiinnn - geh.... who should I trust to paint my hou - oo - ou - ou - ous?????"

The possibilities are endless.

LOL I almost wet myself when I read that. Priceless.
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic