Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

McDonalds oatmeal blogger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McDonalds oatmeal blogger
    Posted: 30 May 2012 at 3:36pm
We're supposed to think "what an old fuddy-duddy" when she lambasts McDonalds for having "all that fancy-pants whatnot" (blueberries) in their oatmeal.  But then we see her taking a picture of the oatmeal with her purple cellphone and find out she's a blogger.  It's then that we realize that she's really part of the hip "now generation".  Next, maybe we'll find out that she likes to shake her groove thing to the likes of Jay-Z and Nicki Minaj, and maybe down some purple drank on occasion down at da seniors club. 

Oy vey.

Sponsored Links

NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 2:15am
"It's going viral." The phone vibrated? From a blog entry reply? And that's going viral? She said it with a straight face. It wasn't supposed to be hyperbole.

La di da? Oat and meal? Fancy pants? WTF?
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:46pm
"going viral"  This expression is getting way over-used. And who the h*ll blogs about a cupful of oatmeal with blueberries in it. 
He Hate Me View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote He Hate Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 12:53am
Man, this commercial really makes me do a double-take at the end.  What a surprise to see grandma on the bleeding edge at the end of the scene. 

I guess I'm just happy The Oracle from "The Matrix" is still getting work.
IndyBeckiH View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyBeckiH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 3:07am
Quaker Oats already had the oatmeal packets with that la-di-da fancy-pants whatnot over 30 years ago. 

And she's no more than 15 years older than I am - my mama put fruit in our oatmeal regularly!  Back in "my day" in the 1960s. 

I'm gonna have to blog about that ...
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 4:41am
Just another example of selling to people who are too lazy (or incompetent) to feed themselves.
  $3 gets you a 2 lb can of 1-minute oatmeal vs $2 per serving (or whatever) that McD's charges.  (Maybe that's why I'm not rich;  I'm not selling Censored to idiots....)
zerocool View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 5:28am
Are these "modern" commercials bad on purpose? Why can't they just tell us about the damn product for once without the commercial trying to date itself (and sound stupid while it's at it)?
PitLoad413 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 6:09am
I'd like to be clear! McDonald's is for hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, soft serve ice cream treats, even breakfast. People do not go to McDonald's to consume f*^king oatmeal with artificial blueberries! Probably tastes like sweetened wet newspaper.
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 12:45pm
I'm not a McDonald's fan, but I was running late to work and went through the drive-thru to get something for breakfast. I got the oatmeal which I think is called something like banana-blueberry-walnut oatmeal..... or something. But -- it was really good! Of course, my next trip to the store, I stocked up on my own oatmeal and blueberries so I don't have to pay $3 for oatmeal.... but it was a pretty nice surprise that it was that good. :)
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 3:12pm
People seriously need to stop using the phrase "going viral". No, your f**king oatmeal is not going viral, no, you drinking a new soda is not going viral, give it a rest already.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 3:23pm
No matter how modern a gal she thinks she is, I'll bet she still refers to the 'net as "the information superhighway" or "the worldwide web".  She probably still types "www." before everything.

Oddly, I still have one website I go to regularly that still requires the "www."

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by PitLoad413 PitLoad413 wrote:

People do not go to McDonald's to consume f*^king oatmeal with artificial blueberries! Probably tastes like sweetened wet newspaper.
LOL  Maybe blogger lady will blog about how they put it in a microwave to heat the "freshness" up.
Or how one could possibly drive and eat this mess when ordered at the drive thru window.
Dammit! I dropped a blueberry on the floor.. 
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Next, maybe we'll find out that she likes to shake her groove thing to the likes of Jay-Z and Nicki Minaj, and maybe down some purple drank on occasion down at da seniors club

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

The cell phone? "Going viral"? Really? McDonald's commercials have been pretty stupid for awhile now (since at least the mid-2000s). The thing I hate about all of them is how no one ever, ever, ever acts or talks like that in real life. And like all the rest of their "masterpieces", they always throw in the most idiotic dialogue to sound hip and trendy. Angry I think they're the only company who's commercials truly irritate the living crap out of me for those reasons (Don't even get me started on the couple who was slapping the table over some coffee).

I also have a hard time believing that's the first time Grandma has seen someone put fruit on oatmeal...I'm pretty sure I've seen blackberries or peaches.

Forgot to mention, why is Grandma leaning into the girl's personal space. She's a little too close to be examining the food of some random stranger!
The poster formerly known as producer757
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by tvpirate05 tvpirate05 wrote:

Next, maybe we'll find out that she likes to shake her groove thing to the likes of Jay-Z and Nicki Minaj, and maybe down some purple drank on occasion down at da seniors club

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

The cell phone? "Going viral"? Really? McDonald's commercials have been pretty stupid for awhile now (since at least the mid-2000s). The thing I hate about all of them is how no one ever, ever, ever acts or talks like that in real life. And like all the rest of their "masterpieces", they always throw in the most idiotic dialogue to sound hip and trendy. Angry I think they're the only company who's commercials truly irritate the living crap out of me for those reasons (Don't even get me started on the couple who was slapping the table over some coffee).

I also have a hard time believing that's the first time Grandma has seen someone put fruit on oatmeal...I'm pretty sure I've seen blackberries or peaches.

Forgot to mention, why is Grandma leaning into the girl's personal space. She's a little too close to be examining the food of some random stranger!
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Like why is the woman so close to her? Seriously if I'm at any eatery and some old lady gets all in my face about what I'm eating I'd be like "Do you freakin' mind?"

Plus I may be closer to 50 than 40, but lady  fruit has been in oatmeal since I was a sprog. Bah...McDonald's food sucks, and I admit sadly that I eat it more than I like because its fast and I need to get back to work quickly. (only this week. I've been working at night while the rest of my unit is on a field exercise. Around 1 AM when I go to get a bite McD's is the  only thing open nearby)
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 6:28pm
I HATE when TV producers or commercial writers discover a word like "viral" which has existed for years and then go overboard with it and act like THEY are so cool for finally using it.

I also HATE the "back in my day" crap. It's such an overused cliche. HER parents said the same thing to her. Their parents said the same thing. Their parents said the same thing.

JUST STOP IT!!! Just enjoy life and stop obsessing with the "back in my day" crap.

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:58pm
Who the **** blogs about blueberry oatmeal? And by "going viral", do they mean getting a lot of replies?

It'd be funny if they did a follow-up where Granny checks her replies when she gets home, only to find most of them are along the lines of us "could've made that myself at home" or "just buy a packet of flavored oatmeal from Quaker, dumb bitch!"
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 9:03pm
Had they left out the "it's going viral" jab it might have been a tiny bit more tolerable. Blogs do not "go viral". Blogs about oatmeal do not "go viral". Literally these days most of the viral videos are completely manufactured to be as viralistic as possible, or are of people video taping their kids after the dentist or surgery, which if you ask me is the best way to win the "worst parent of the year" award. And don't give me that crap about it being ok to embarrass your kids, not when their entire name goes up on the internet for the WORLD to see, that's just selfish.

When is the last time you went to McDonald's and sat that close to another person? It doesn't happen. And what is she blogging about exactly? Look at this f**king oatmeal? This ad must have been thought up by someone in the over 50 set because it sounds like they just wanted to throw as much jargon in there as possible.

Blogging
Going Viral
Smart phones

She didn't even TASTE the oatmeal! There are literally millions of sh*tty food bloggers just like her, this lady probably has a fan base of about 2 people. Hell, even I have more followers on my sh*tty infertility blog and I don't even blog for other people! Of which there are also millions talking about the same crap. Blogging is so f**king annoying! There are literally no interesting blogs anymore, and don't even get me STARTED on the "mommy bloggers".

/rant about blogs
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 11:05pm
Seriously, some people needs to not blog about everything
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 11:11pm

Maybe this is what they mean by their "viral" ad:

McDonald's:  "We're just like herpes.  We keep coming back!"

WalpurgisQuill View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalpurgisQuill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:57pm
I actually liked the old lady, she seems sweet. Although I could not help being very annoyed at the way she leaned over the other woman's oatmeal bowl, that's terrible manners. Then again, I've never really liked people staring down at food and asking me or whoever else what we're eating. Its just irritating.
alext View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 12:25am
i feel like she's a stranger to the woman eating the oatmeal. if someone I don't know was hovering over my food, let alone commenting about "all that la-dee-da" (dude they're f**king blueberries)... idk what i'd do. probably say something along the lines of "what the hell is wrong with you? did they have table manners or common sense back then or is that new, too?"
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 4:30am
Originally posted by alext alext wrote:

i feel like she's a stranger to the woman eating the oatmeal. if someone I don't know was hovering over my food, let alone commenting about "all that la-dee-da" (dude they're f**king blueberries)... idk what i'd do. probably say something along the lines of "what the hell is wrong with you? did they have table manners or common sense back then or is that new, too?"

I'd growl out loud enough for her to hear "Just great!  Now I can't eat this sh*t because all I can smell is old people", and then slam dunk it into the trash bin on the way out....
LOL
alext View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 5:52am

...She probably still types "www." before everything...
she probably uses Netscape too
Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 6:10pm
Exactly. Haven't raisins and cinnamon been a common side ingredient in oatmeal for generations? And why was the younger woman nodding in agreement? If she agrees with the older woman about how evil blueberries are in oatmeal, why did she order them in the first place? And the ending was groan worthy with an over done theme as well. 

I agree with the sentiment that this was lazy marketing. 
Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 3:25pm
Yikes! You don't have to type www anymore?  I always do this Geek I'm in my 30's and it's not like I'm new to the internet but I never really tried typing an address without www LOL

about this commercial though, yea her blog will go viral in the 5 minutes she's sitting next to someone.

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic