Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Ex-Thug!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ex-Thug!
    Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 2:34pm
This is one of my first characters ever, a guy named Darryl Johnson. Smile

Part 1
Hi. My name is Darryl Johnson and I am a 16 year old at Marshall Johnson prep school. This institution was founded in 1898 when a very entrepreneurial son of an oil owner had a vision of creating a school for young scholars. His name was Marshall Johnson, and after a rough start (his family and friends didn't believe he'd make it), he proved them wrong by having a successful school in Jacksonville, Florida, that was the envy of other prep schools such as Brian Macarthur's Academy in Pennsylvania, and Maxwell Andrews Prep school in Boston, Massachusetts.

But enough about the start of the school. This is about me. I entered this school on a scholarship that my mother forced me to apply for. That's right. Forced me. She found out I had been living a wild life. I was mugging people, robbing convenience stores, burglarizing homes (red alert security alarms and Rottweilers that bite in homes ain't pretty I tell you), and hot hot-wired cars, stole them, and took them out for joyrides. My friends Julian, Sean, and Mario, contributed in my "wild life" too. We made lots of money "earning it" if you get my drift. My mother did not like how I "earned" my money and gave me an ultimatum: Boot Camp or Boarding School. I'm no dummy. Who wants to get up at 5 A.M. to do 100 push-ups and clean floors with toothbrushes? And I don't even LIKE the military (no offense to people in the military). And if you scream at me, I will scream at you back. In Boot Camp, that's called insubordination. And insubordination makes your whole "platoon" get punished for it. And they don't take kindly to people who make them work even harder.

So I chose boarding school. My mother went to my school, North Miami Senior High School, and talked to the principal, Mr. Kurns about getting me tested for scholarships to go to prep school. He agreed, and I ended up taking three tests in one day. (I got to miss a whole day of classes though, wink, wink). The three tests were FCAT, SAT, and an IQ test.

I started on the FCAT first. I had questions at first such as, "What is the square root of 16?" Easy stuff at first, then it got harder, such as, "If Johnny is standing next to a 30 foot pole and he is 6 feet tall, how tall will his shadow be? You know that kind of question. I panicked a little. I am not good at Math. I'm smart at other subjects, but Math is my bane. Give me Science, give me Social Studies, give me Language Arts, I'll ace those subjects. Give me Math and I shrink. My Math teacher says that I have Math Anxiety. I AM good at basic Math: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division, but when the Math problems have "pi" and "radius," I start to shrink. Do you know how "well" I did on the question about Johnny? I multiplied 30 times 6 and got the answer 180 and put it down. Now, I KNOW that's wrong, but I answered it like that. And you have to explain how you got your answer in little "essay" lines provided on the FCAT test (many questions are multiple choice, but some are "essay" questions.) I actually told the truth about how I did it. I KNOW that the evaluator of my test will go, "Whoa, this kid is lazy", but it's not really "laziness." It's more of, "I want to get this problem out of my face."

I was sure I aced the other portions of the test. They were, Reading, Science and Grammar. I'm really good at those subjects.

After the FCAT, it was time for the SAT. I LIKE the SAT because you don't have to do any "essay" answers. It's all multiple choice. I did GREAT in the other subjects besides Math, and when it came to the infamous MATH, I didn't know if I did well. Once again, the first questions were easy like questions about exponents and equations. I'm good at that remember? The ASMD comes easily to me. So does PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction). Many people say the best way to remember the order of operations is as, "Please Excuse My dear Aunt Sally," but I don't like to remember it like that. I like to remember it the way it is spelled. PEMDAS (Pem-das). I'm probably the only one who likes to remember it the way it is spelled.

Then the questions got harder. I had another "Johnny" type of question. "If Sarah is standing next to a 20 foot ladder and she is 5 feet, how tall will her shadow be?" I quickly multiplied 20 times 5 and got 100. But I could not put "100" because there was no "100" on the multiple choice. The choices were A. 500 feet, B. 320 feet, C.120 feet, D. 200 feet, and E. None of the above. I didn't want to pick "E" and the answer WAS one of the choices, so I decided not to pick "E." I chose "C" because that was the closest to my answer. Lazy, lazy, lazy, I know. I had a question about the Pythogeroum Theroum, and just blindly picked an answer (AKA. Random Guess).

After the SAT was done, I got a 20-minute break. I went to a fountain and gratefully drunk from the fountain. The water was so good to me and so refreshing, that I ended up drinking for almost two minutes. Then I went to the bathroom. (Drinking water for almost two minutes does that to a person.) After that, I got a bag of chips from the vending machine. It was a big bag of Lays. I slowly ate my chips, savoring the salty, fatty taste of the chips. I love that combination, even though I know it's not good for my health.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

Then the questions got harder. I had another "Johnny" type of question. "If Sarah is standing next to a 20 foot ladder and she is 5 feet, how tall will her shadow be?" I quickly multiplied 20 times 5 and got 100. But I could not put "100" because there was no "100" on the multiple choice. The choices were A. 500 feet, B. 320 feet, C.120 feet, D. 200 feet, and E. None of the above. I didn't want to pick "E" and the answer WAS one of the choices, so I decided not to pick "E." I chose "C" because that was the closest to my answer. Lazy, lazy, lazy, I know. I had a question about the Pythogeroum Theroum, and just blindly picked an answer (AKA. Random Guess).

You'd need more info to answer that question.  That is, what time of day is it, what day of the year, what are the lines of longitude and latitude where you're standing?  If it's an artificial light source that's creating the shadow, where is it and at what angle is it shining?

And what does the ladder have to do with Sarah's shadow?

You need to question the author of the test.

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 2:52pm
I am not good at Math,Embarrassed In fact, I had to look at one of my old textbooks from high school in order to write some of this story.Embarrassed.  In fact, this is why I had darryl in the story multiply in order to get the answer, because even I don't know how to get this kind of answer. Embarrassed
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

You'd need more info to answer that question.  That is, what time of day is it, what day of the year, what are the lines of longitude and latitude where you're standing?  If it's an artificial light source that's creating the shadow, where is it and at what angle is it shining?

I also don't see the significance of the ladder, unless the question had to do with the difference in the length of the shadow cast by each.

But what would the lines of longitude and latitude or whether it's an artificial light source that's creating the shadow have to do with the answer?

I would think that only the distance & angle of the light source would be at issue.

I.e., "The sun was at an angle of 35°. Sarah who is 5' tall is standing next to a 20' ladder. What would be the difference in length between her shadow & the ladder's shadow?"

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 3:39pm
Quickly going to part 2 before this turns into an all out Math related thread. Wink

Part 2

I finished eating the chips in 10 minutes. As I wondered the main hallway, I looked at the familiar green paint under white paint. Our school colors are white, green, and gray. I realized this would be my last week or so at North Miami Senior High School. I was overwhelmed by shocking sadness. I would miss this school. I would miss my friends and family. It all depressed me deeply. I began thinking of a John Mayer song, “No Such Thing.” Two lyrics go, “I wanna run through the halls of my high school. I wanna scream at the top of my lungs.” To make me feel better, I did just that. I walked to one end of the hallway, and then ran to the other side of the hallway screaming like a maniac. Don’t worry. I don’t usually do this, and this was a regular school day. If anyone was walking around and saw me doing that, they’d call the men in white coats to come and take me away to a nice “hospital”. I felt much better after running and screaming (I’m surprised no one heard me screaming), and went back to the testing room. It was time for the IQ test and I cracked my knuckles and prepared to work.

The IQ test was fairly simple. It had a few math questions, but none that made me “shrink”, like asking how tall a person’s shadow was. Some questions asked about logical reasoning such as what design comes nest. I told you, I’m no dummy. All you have to do is follow the pattern closely. There were questions about other things, such as History questions and the other subjects I always ace. One IQ question kind of did make me “shrink”. It was a question that went something like this: “If all Spinks are Sporks and all Voors are Vines, are Sporks also Vines?” I know I did not word that correctly, but you know what question I mean. I have trouble answering those types of questions. The best way I answer then is Yes. My reasoning is: Kelly can have a sister, Charlene, and Kelly can have a brother named John, but John and Charlene are not related.

After the IQ test, I turned all three of them into the proctor, and went home.

Things were tense between my mother and me. I am an only child, and my father and mother were never married, so he doesn’t live with me or raise me.(That’s right, I’m a bastard, even though the nice way is to say illegitimate, even though that doesn’t really sound nice at all. The best way to describe what I am is a love child.) He begrudgingly pays child support for me. Begrudgingly. He should not begrudgingly be paying child support for me. He helped make me didn’t he? But back to my mother and I.

“Darryl, I don’t want you going out anywhere. You’re to spend your time at home,” she told me firmly.

“Mom, I’m 16. You can’t keep me locked up like a little boy, “I whined.

“I can when my grown teenager earns money by “earning” other people’s money and “borrowing” other people’s cars."

“But mom”,…….. I began to whine, and then closed my mouth. Arguing with her was futile.

I went up to my room and flopped on my bed with the blue covers and colorful shapes. I know. Even my covers look childish, but I like them anyway. They’re “homey” to me.

I turned over on my back, and stared blankly at the ceiling. Would I pass the tests? Would I go to boarding school? Or would I have to wake up to, “Hut, two, three, four?”

I got up and looked at my last report card. A.A.A.A.A.……EEEEEEEEERRRRRHHHHH. (Imagine a car suddenly screeching) D (In Mathematics) I would have made the honor roll if it weren’t for that Mathematics. (I wanted to add a “D” word between the word “that” and the word “Mathematics, but I decided against it, no pun intended). I’m really smart. It’s just that I make dumb decisions for fun like “earning” money and “borrowing” strangers’ cars.

I turned on the T.V. “And no TV until you finish your homework!” My mom yelled.

“I don’t have any homework mom. I took the tests today, remember?” I yelled back.

“Oh yeah. So how did it go?” She asked me, coming into my room.

"They were fine, except for, I began to confess sheepishly, the Math questions. I am sure I bombed on the FCAT and SAT Math portions. I think I passed the IQ Math portion, because the questions were about basic Math."

“You HAVE always had trouble with advanced Math problems, “she agreed softly.

I looked at my mom intently. My mom is really pretty. She is 5’5, with short hair like Halle Berry in the early ‘90s and Toni Braxton in the early ’90’s. She is so light, she is considered “red”. “Red” is when a person’s skin is so light, it looks like Sean Paul’s skin color. “Gina from Martin is considered to be “red” too. My mom’s eyes are a golden brown, like Bow Wow’s. She’s a slender woman.

As for me, I am 5’10 with a short afro like Cole from Martin. I am a little “husky” like Malik Yoba. My skin color is light-skinned, considered caramel. I’m a few shades darker than my mother, and the best way I can describe my skin color is that it looks like Chingy’s skin color. My eyes are dark brown, like Usher’s.

“Mom, do you think I’ll pass the tests?”

“I’m sure you will. You’re very smart. Look at this report card.” She motioned to my report card. "Besides Math, you are a genius. You just behave “dumb” when you “borrow” cars and “earn” money.”

I blushed a little. Did she have to bring that up right then?

“I love you, Darryl,” she said, looking at me with shiny eyes.

“I love you too, mom," I said back.

She gave me a kiss on my cheek. She left the room. We have DirecTV, and I wanted to watch Spongebob Squarepants. There’s something I love about that little sponge. He’s very adorable and lovable.

I watched an episode where Spongebob wanted to be a “Jellyfish.” He gave up his “industrial, cold life” to live with the jellyfish. The episode was called “Nature Pants.” A word to the wise: Patrick is pretty possessive about Spongebob (Not in THAT way, wink wink). He just wants Spongebob to come back because he misses his friend.

After the episode was done, I turned off the T.V. for a while and listened to my Ciara CD. I listened to the “One Two Step: and “Goodies” songs. I have a confession to make: When I first heard “Goodies” on the radio, I thought that it was Beyonce singing the song. My cousin Tasha said, “No that girl DOESN’T sound like Beyonce.” She was right. I ended up feeling “hurt” when I found out I was wrong. “Hurt” is a slang word for standing corrected.

Speaking of Beyonce, I LOVE her! I LOVED her in Destiny’s Child and Solo! I have all of Destiny and Beyonce albums! I have: the Writing’s On The Wall, Survivor, Dangerously In Love, and Destiny Fulfilled. She is PERFECT! What a Goddess! I am so jealous of Jay-Z. What does she see in him? She can dump him (I’m available, wink wink).

I took out the Ciara CD and put in Survivor and listened to the songs, Survivor, Say My Name, and Bootylicious. I love to jam to those songs. After the songs were done playing, I took out the Survivor CD and listened to my “Hits of The 80’s” CD. I have 18 hits on that CD. I love the 80’s. Wasn’t that a great era for music? I listened to 5 songs off that album, “Cruel Summer by Bananarama, “Putting On the Ritz by Taco. “Somebody’s Watching Me” by Rockwell, “She Blinded Me With Science” by Thomas Dolby, and “Walk Like An Egyptian” by The Bangles. When I was done with those songs, I pressed, ‘Stop,” and called Sean.

“Sean, my moms got me on lockdown. I can’t go nowhere, dawg." (I am good at Grammar, but I talk “slang” when I talk to my friends).

“Dawg, that’s messed up,” Sean said.

“My moms straight busted me. She’s trippin’," I continued.

“Yeah, she is trippin’. Fool, your old lady got you locked.”

I suddenly didn’t feel like talking about “lockup” too much anymore. “So, Sean, you still gonna “earn” money with Julian and Mario?”

“Fo sho *beep* he answered. “Ya know, me, Mario and Julian scored $300.00 muggin’ 5 people yesterday.

“Wow. Ya’ll don’t need me,” I said, feeling left out. I know, it’s stupid of me to feel left out.

“We DO need ya. We ain’t the same without ya, dawg.”

“Well. Ya’ll gonna be leanin’ on each other for a LONG while," I answered him.

“Since your moms got you on lock down, what you gonna do for fun?” Sean asked.

“Watch T.V, listen to the music, play video games, do my homework,” I answered him.

“Ya call doin’ homework “fun”? Sean asked me sounding incredulous.

“Yeah. It’s basically all I have to look forward to. My moms said, “I can’t go out nowhere,” I reminded him with emphasis.

Sean said, “Well, I gotta go. I’ma holla at ya later.”

“Bye,” I said, and we both hung up.

Sean, Mario, Julian, and I have all been good friends since we were little. We are the Inseparable Foursome. We are all tight as four peas in a pod. We have little squabbles from time to time, but we always make up. Rarely, we do get into BIG arguments, like the time Sean got a girlfriend and spent all of his time with her, and blew us off. We were so mad, we wanted to kick him out of the friendship and become a threesome. We confronted Sean and told him we wouldn’t take a backseat to this girl and would stop being his friend if he continued to neglect us. Sean decided to balance our friendship with his relationship and we forgave him. He and his girlfriend broke up 6 months later because she felt that she didn’t like him too much anymore. We all consoled Sean, and he quickly got over her. I think.

The other “big” argument was the time when we robbed a convenience store and left with $1000. We argued over who should get the bulk of the money. Sean, Julian, and Mario wanted more than $250.00from $1,000. ($250.00 is what each person gets from $1,000). I told them that they were idiots because that was the only way four people could split $1,000 evenly. They called me a control freak and we almost had a physical fight right then and there. I had a sudden light bulb. I didn’t want our relationship to end like this, over money. So I suggested that all three of them get $300 and I get $100. They asked if I didn’t want more than $100, and I told them no. So they were happy with the $300 they got, and I was happy with the $100. I got. $100 is still a lot of money, especially when you “earned” it.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

You'd need more info to answer that question.  That is, what time of day is it, what day of the year, what are the lines of longitude and latitude where you're standing?  If it's an artificial light source that's creating the shadow, where is it and at what angle is it shining?

I also don't see the significance of the ladder, unless the question had to do with the difference in the length of the shadow cast by each.

But what would the lines of longitude and latitude or whether it's an artificial light source that's creating the shadow have to do with the answer?

I would think that only the distance & angle of the light source would be at issue.

I.e., "The sun was at an angle of 35°. Sarah who is 5' tall is standing next to a 20' ladder. What would be the difference in length between her shadow & the ladder's shadow?"

Yeah, it's the angle of the light that's most important.  But if we're talking about shadows cast by sunlight, the angle would be different at different times of year and in different locations.  Consider that the sun is "lower" in the winter, and that the sun at 1pm in Antarctica might be different than the angle of the sun at that time at the Equator.  Also, at certain times of year, the sun in Antarctica could cast shadows at 3am.

I know this woman Karen who works in Antarctica half the year.  She says it can be so bright down there that a pinhole in your blackout shades can light up your room.  She even wrote a book about this stuff.  One of these days, I should read it.

Karen:

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 4:16pm
I wonder how you'd solve it.

I'm guessing the application of the Pythagorean Theorem (a² + b² = c²) possibly?

You'd have the given factors of the angle of the light & the length of one side of the right triangle that would create an imaginary hypotenuse which would in turn, form the shadow, which would in effect, be the third side of the triangle.

The vertical height of the tree and the horizontal shadow are the legs of a right triangle with a 30 degree angle at the end of the shadow.

The ratios of the lengths of the sides of right triangles are the trigonometric ratios.

The tangent of 30 degrees can be found through tables, calculators, or computer programs. You have to be careful because there are different units for measuring angles, so you have to make sure that you and your calculator (or table, or computer) are talking in the same units.

Since the shadow was adjacent to that angle and the tree height was across/opposite. 

Star
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 11:21pm

The answer is 'E'.
1)  Shadows aren't measured as 'tall', they are measured as 'long'.

Other possible answers are:
2)  If the ladder is leaning against a wall, and they are both in the shade of the wall, then no shadow.
3)  It's nighttime.  Again, no shadow.
4)  If the ladder falls and kills her, no shadow (but that leads to another question "What color is the chalk outline?")
And WTF is a "Pythogeroum Theroum"?  (I give you points because it rhymes....  LOL)
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 11:25pm
I foresee this new story ending with Darryl, Sean, Mario, Julian, and a bottle of Magic Shell in a walk-in freezer....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 12:13am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

4)  If the ladder falls and kills her, no shadow (but that leads to another question "What color is the chalk outline?")

That reminds me.  I once read that at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, "shadows" (silhouettes, really) of people burnt to death were imprinted on grass and sidewalks, etc.  That is, the background that their "shadows" were blocking remained normal, while everything around it burned.

Supposedly, this is an example, though it seems to me that the black and gray would be reversed.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 12:20am
A friend of mine in San Francisco used to "graffiti" silhouettes of men in hats and trenchcoats under the lights around bus stops in the industrial section of town.  He used gray paint rather than black to make it realistic.  It really looked like a man's shadow, though the man was nowhere to be seen.  Kinda creepy, kinda funny.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 7:18am

And WTF is a "Pythogeroum Theroum" "Pythagorean Theorem"?  (I give you points because it rhymes....  LOL)

It is very BASIC trigonometry.

Basic being the only kind I know a very little bit of.

It states that the square of the hypotenuse (the angled line) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of it's 2 perpendicular sides.

I used to have to employ it on occasion working as an architectural draftsman, which I did for about 10 years.

Oh.... and it doesn't rhyme when you spell it correctly. Wink

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 1:58pm
I had to use it when putting up some fence a few years ago. 

But I think Mr. Tim was just making a joke about the way Donathan spelled it.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:43pm

I foresee this new story ending with Darryl, Sean, Mario, Julian, drunking a bottle of Magic Shell in a walk-in freezer with some Lays potato chips....

"I went to a fountain and gratefully drunk from the fountain. The water was so good to me and so refreshing, that I ended up drinking for almost two minutes"
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:48pm

And what is a "Pythagorean Theorem"? 

Oh, I thought it was a theory relating to a snake that lives in a monastery.  LOL

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 11:44pm
Part 3

Back to the near present. I love those guys. I don’t know if I would be able to take being so far away in Jacksonville while they were here in Miami. I’d miss my mom and dad (though he REALLY doesn’t want to pay child support for me), my aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents. I soon got that overwhelming feeling again. That overly sad feeling that I got at school. I was feeling deeply depressed again and I was afraid I was going to fall into a depressed trance. I decided I did not want to become slightly comatose, so I decided to shake my head and ‘snap out of it.” I went into my book bag and got out my “feel good” book, How To Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell. I always read that book when I am feeling blue. It makes me laugh to read about people who would be stupid enough to eat worms for $50.00. The T.V. show fear Factor comes to mind when I read this book. These people will do ANYTHING to win money. One guy stuck his face in pig blood to pick out pig parts. Disgusting, but funny. I read some of the book and felt better. I was not overly depressed now, I was just a little bummed.

It was now 6:00. I turned on the TV to TVONE and watched Good Times. My favorite characters are Thelma and J.J. Thelma is fine and smart and J.J. is cool and funny. I don’t like Michael too much. Too me, he’s annoying and my least favorite character. I watched an episode called, “J.J. And The Boss’s Daughter.” J.J. dates Valerie, his boss’s daughter. Valerie wants J.J. to ditch his friends to hang out with her. Does this seem familiar?

After the episode was over, I ate some dinner and then took a shower, a little after that, I watched American Idol. I love watching people who CAN’T sing but think they can sing. I am an American Idol whore. I love when Simon harshly criticizes the ‘singers”. I swear, some of these “singers” are singing badly on purpose. But it makes for good television. One guy butchered a Michael Jackson song. I think it was “Thriller or maybe it was “Billie Jean.”

When American Idol was over, I watched another episode of GT. This time, it was an episode where Thelma wanted to be engaged to Larry. I felt so jealous. Larry was so lucky. Anyway, Mrs. And Mr. Evans (Florida and James) were against it. J.J. stood up to James for Thelma, and Thelma proved she really did love Larry, and that she wouldn’t marry Larry until they were both at least eighteen. (She had been 17). Her parents agreed to let her remain engaged to Larry.

After the show, I went to bed to go to sleep, I know, it was pretty early to go to sleep. It was only about 9:30, but when you are stuck at home, there’s really not much to do but sleep at this time (besides, I was tired). I fell asleep, and dreamt that I was in an airplane, and not only was I in the plane, I was piloting the plane. All of a sudden, the plane got out of control. It hit major turbulence and began shaking like crazy, and even began taking a nosedive. The stewardess, the passengers, and my co-pilot were screaming, and what’s worse, even I was screaming and I’m supposed to look in control. I knew I couldn’t let everyone on the plane crash and die! I had to fix the problem. I pulled the shift stick, aligned the plane, and got us back on course. The plane glided smoothly, and passengers were crying. Out of relief or shocked fear, I don’t know. I turned to my co-pilot and he looked at me with awe and incredibility. “You really had us scared for a minute, Captain, but you pulled us out of trouble,” he said gratefully. The stewardesses looked a little disoriented, but okay. “That was a close one, Captain, “one of them said to me.

“You know how I do it,” I said a little smugly. I was getting a little cocky. Then I woke up.

I didn’t think much of the dream after I had woken up. I’m 16. Who would give a 16-year-old a pilot license? I laughed at the thought.

I looked at the clock. I t was 3:00 AM. I was still tired, so I went back to sleep.

I had another dream. I was riding a ride in the Youth Fair, and the ride got stuck in mid-air. I was terrified! I looked at the sign of the ride. The Ride Of Doom. How ironic, “I thought. Granted, it WAS fun until the ride got stuck. The other people looked terrified too. I literally was stuck in the air. Some people were stuck close to the ground. I looked at my partner and he looked terrified too. “Someone help us!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. “Sorry,” the ride operator said. “You guys are stuck here. The ride is stuck. I’m going home. You guys will be fine when the electricity works again, which will be soon, I think.” He sounded unconvinced. “Hey, you can’t just leave us here!” an angry voice yelled. “Hey, get us off this ride!” Another angry voice yelled. “Yeah! I have to get off this ride and go home!” Another angry voice yelled. “Sorry,” the operator said. “I’m leaving!” He started to walk away. A flurry of obscenities and profanities spewed out of the angry riders’ mouths. The operator looked helpless at us, and then ran off. He left us abandoned.

I decided to do a risky thing. It literally could have hurt me badly. I unbuckled the safety latches and seat belts and leapt out of the ride. Remember, I was in mid-air. I luckily landed on both feet with just a bit of a painful jolt as I landed. I quickly latched and buckled my partner back in, so he wouldn’t fall out. I already knew what I was going to do. I walked over to the operating station. I figured out quickly what had gone wrong. A wire had broken in half. I quickly found another way to get the ride moving. I manually turned the dials and pushed a few buttons. I got the ride started again. I went as fats as I could and the ride went relatively fast. When the ride was over, I slowly pulled the ride to a stop. The riders were now all close to the ground. I pressed a button to release all latches and safety belts, and everyone got off the ride all right. They all looked shaken.

“I’m suing!” a few of them angrily exclaimed. “I am filing a report on this ride!” a few others exclaimed. “I’m never going on this ride again!” some others exclaimed. I didn’t blame them for saying those things.

“You are a hero young man!” a woman in her 20’s said to me, looking at me with bright eyes. “You saved us all!

“Yeah young man!” You ought to be on the NEWS!” a man in his 30’s said to me, shaking my hand. I smiled self-consciously. Then someone took a camera and surprised took a picture of me. My partner came up to me and gave me a hug. “Thank you for saving us.” I smiled and hugged him back. He looked to be about 12 years old.

Then I woke up. I was still smiling as I woke up. I had saved people on that ride! I felt happy! I looked at the clock. It was 6:00. It was time for me to get ready for school. I showered, brushed my teeth, put on lotion and deodorant, and put on my red T-shirt, blue jeans, white socks, and white Nike sneakers. I quickly brushed my hair, packed my book bag, and left my room to eat a bowl of Fruit Loops cereal. After breakfast, I got my book bag and keys, said “bye” to my mom and got into my car and drove to school.

At school, I was a little early. It was 7:15. School starts at 7:25. I went to the library which has computer access and went on www.amazon.com and typed in “Snoop Dogg”. When Snoop Dogg search results showed up, I clicked on “Doggy Style.”

I read some reviews about the album, such as one who said, “This album is great. I love the song, ‘Gin And Juice. That’s’ my favorite song from Snoop Dogg. All of the songs on this album are great! He’s a great rapper! 5 stars! Another review was not glowing at all. “I give this album a 1 star. Snoop Dogg is a washed up crack rapper. He has very little talent and ALWAYS looks stoned when he is on T.V. And that is because he is! I’m glad I didn’t buy this crap piece of trash. My cousin let me borrow it for free. I wish I could burn this CD, and not in the term we in 2005 say we want to “burn” CDs. I want to burn the CD in the literal way, with lots and lots of fire. Snoop Dogg needs to go away……………forever.

Whoa, harsh I thought. I read other reviews, and the stars and reviews were excellent. Basically, all the reviews were glowing except for that one harsh review. Overall, the CD got a 4 and a half star rating.

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 11:52pm
The font is way too small to read.  Sorry.

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:47am
Originally posted by MrsHill MrsHill wrote:

The font is way too small to read.  Sorry.

I have edited it so that it comes out on a normal, non-bolded font. Smile

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:02am

Yep.  "Pith-o-ger-oom There-oom!"  LOL

(Yeah, I'm easily amused....  Wink)
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:42am

I had to use it when putting up some fence a few years ago. 

Ahhhhhhhh..... being as I didn't read any of the story, I had no idea Donathan had referenced it.

My bad.

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 8:45pm
What's with Donathan and these gay stories in Off Topic, or this whole message board for that matter.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

... being as I didn't read any of the story,

I stopped reading after the first part.  Just going to look at any comments now and then....  Wink
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:52am
Is there a reason the subject of the story (Darryl Johnson) has the same last name as the school he's going to (Marshall Johnson Prep)?

Is this something I'd have to read the whole story to find out?

If not, couldn't you come up with a better name than Johnson?  You always use the most generic names. 

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 3:26am

Part 4

Soon, it was 7:21. I logged off the computer and rushed to class. It was 7:24 when I sat down at my seat. My first class was Homeroom. Actually, it's not really a "class" as it is a "check in." We get our names called, answer, and do left over homework for about 15 minutes. Then we go to our "first" block of the day. We have block schedule, which means we only have three classes a day, for two hours each. We also have lunch for 45 minutes. We have block 1, 3, and 5 today, and tomorrow we will have Block 2, 4, 6. I went to block 1, and we had to do Silent Reading for 30 minutes. Silent Reading is mandatory in all six blocks (even though many teachers sometimes skip it) My first block was an English class. We had to proofread another class’s Creative Essays. I almost fainted when I saw how bad my “student’s” essay was. Here is a little “piece” of the student’s essay. You can see why I almost fainted.

April 10, 2005. I went to the bech last weekend wit my hole phamily. We went swimming wit other people. I ain’t never had so much phun for in a long time. We swam for one our and then we eight lunch. It was chicken, and it was rice, and it was soda, and it was chips, and it was pretzels, and it was potato salad. We listened to the raydio and had heard sum good sungs. After we had laid down to dygest the food for a half an our, we went back to swimming. We swam for too more ours. Then we left.

There was more to this student’s essay, but I think I’ve put you in enough torture. I quickly proofread and edited the essay. I turned it in, and Mrs. Hayes looked at me with amazement. “I am surprised you went through this without going off the wall,” she said.

“I did feel like fainting when I saw this essay,” I confessed to her.

“I don’t blame you,” she said and gave me a sympathetic smile. I

I went back to my seat and waited for the other people to finish their assignments, and in the meanwhile, I began to finish my Silent Reading book. I had been reading Silent Night by R.L. Stine. It’s about a rich girl named Reva Dalby, the rich heiress of a department store. Her father, Robert Dalby owned Dalby’s Department Store. On the other hand, Mr. Dalby let his poor niece, Pam, live with her and his daughter. I found it extremely weird that Pam was Reva’s ONLY cousin. I myself have TONS of cousins, and so does everyone else I know. Anyway, the cover is amazing, interesting, and eye catching. Reva looks like she is trapped in a mirror, her mouth and eyes are open wide in horror and shock, and there is snow outside the mirror. Hey, how do you pronounce Reva? Is it pronounced REV like, “Revving up a motorcycle and adding an “A” or is it pronounced “Reeva” like how we pronounce Reba McIntyre? I just decided to read it like the motorcycle pronunciation.

Soon, everyone was done with their assignments. Darn it! Just when I was getting to a really good part. Reva was had just put on her lipstick and started to scream. Makeup shouldn’t make you scream.

I closed the book. Everyone else turned in their assignments. Mrs. Hayes put them on a stack on her desk. I knew that since we had proofread another class’s essays, they would be proofreading our essays. We had done essays last week. I wasn’t nervous because I knew I was great in grammar (spelling is part of grammar)

Mrs. Hayes told us our next assignment would be reading aloud from a play called, “A Midsummer’s Night Dream by Williams Shakespeare. I got to play Demetrius. A beautiful woman named Helena was madly in love with me (Demetrius), and I would shun her. Helena was played by a beautiful girl named Alicia. Alicia is a dark milk-chocolate colored girl (think of a Snickers bar), with beautiful chocolate brown eyes, an oval face, and long brown hair, with a beautiful smile. She’s also tall and slender. Who would “shun” Alicia? She’s a really sweet girl. And what’s wrong with Demetrius? If a beautiful woman was in love with ME, I wouldn’t shun her. Anyway, it was fun playing a guy who would shun a beautiful woman.

After the reading, class was over, and it was time for Block 3. My block 3 is the bane of my day. It’s Math. Do you know what type of Math it is? Algebra. We had to some problems, and my brain just wasn’t working for the problems. I was hitting a wall with the problems. I was so frustrated trying to work on the problems. I HATE feeling stupid. Mr. Smith came up to me and asked if I needed any help. He must have sensed my frustration. I was embarrassed. “No, I don’t need any help!” I snapped. I had a lot pf pride and he was embarrassing me. I am almost an honor student! I thought in my mind. Everyone was staring at me. I began to blush. Mr. Smith looked at me sympathetically. “I’m here if you need any help,” he said, and went back to his seat.

I worked on more frustrating problems, biting my lower lip. I kept hitting walls. I tried doing the integers assignment, but I was having trouble figuring out if two negatives equaled a positive or if a positive and a negative equaled a negative. I was having trouble figuring out what to do when the problem was a multiplication problem. Did we divide or multiply? What if it’s two different signs, like -8*-7? What’s the answer?

I worked on the problems, really frustrating my brain. I began to get a headache. I knew it was time to swallow my pride. I needed help. I got up and slowly walked to Mr. Smith’s desk, with my notebook, pencil, and textbook in my hands. I stood in front of Mr. Smith’s desk, and looking defeated and reluctant, confessed, “Mr. Smith, I need help.”

“Sure. I’m gonna help you,” he said, looking at me eagerly. “Sit down. There is a chair next to his desk for students to sit when they need help with problems. I sat down and told him the problems I was having. He took out a paper and one of his pens. “Darryl, here is how you solve addition problems. He wrote down 8+7. “That’s 15,” he said. (Duh). -8+7=-2, -8+-7=-15. The larger number for addition is the number that will determine the sign of the answer. Subtract when the signs are different.

For subtraction, add the opposite of the problem. For example, 25-5=20. Adding the opposite is 25+ (-5) =20. -8-(-2) would be -8+2. To solve, you would answer the problem -6. The larger number still determines the outcome of the sign. -12+ (-16) =-28. Add when the signs are the same, negative=negative, and pos=pos. Subtract when the signs are different.

For multiplication, 2(-8) =-16, because of the different signs. In this case ALWAYS put a negative sign in front of your answer, no matter what number has the negative sign. For example: (-3) (25) =-75. -5(-6) =30. Same signs =positive.

For division, (-50) divided by (-2) =25. Same signs=positive. -20 divided by 5=-4. Different signs=negative signs.

He asked me if I understood everything he was talking about. I had! I told him so, and he said, “I am going to give you two problems from each category and I want to see if you answer them correctly. “Okay,” I agreed.

He took out another paper and wrote down these problems: 1. -8+-6, 2. -8+6, 3. -10 - -5, 4. -10 -5, 5. -6*7, 6. -6*-7, 7. 9 divided by -3, 8. -9 divided by -3.

I followed the guidance he gave me on the paper, and for number one I answered -14. For 2, I answered -2. For 3, I answered -15. For 4, I answered -5. For 6, I answered 42. For 7, I answered -3. For 8, I answered, 3. I turned in the assignment. He quickly checked it and said, “You did good. You answered the questions correctly. I think you’re ready to do these problems on your own, Darryl.”

“Thank you for the compliment, and thanks for your help. I’m sorry I snapped at you,” I added.

“You’re welcome, and I understand why you snapped at me. You’re a smart kid, and for a teacher to ask if you need help is embarrassing. I know about the straight A’s you get in all your other classes.”

I looked at him in surprise. “How did you know that?”

“We teachers have our own little “chats.” It’s kind of a teacher alliance. We discuss students with each other. And we talk about you sometimes. About how bright and dedicated you are.

“Oh,” I said, feeling shy.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:33pm

For multiplication, 2(-8) =-16, because of the different signs. In this case ALWAYS put a negative sign in front of your answer, no matter what number has the negative sign. For example: (-3) (25) =-75. -5(-6) =30. Same signs =positive.

If this is the stuff he's learning in a prep school at the age of 16, I'd like to know what he's "prepping" for.  The fifth grade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic