Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Verizon Mother's Day  Mother-Daughter Crying ad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Verizon Mother's Day Mother-Daughter Crying ad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 5:30pm
I like to imagine they didn't shoot the alternate version the same day, and instead called everyone back, put them in the same clothes, and shot a new commercial at a completely separate time and place. I do hope someone paid for this with their job though.
Joined 4/23/12, Frequent lurker on CIH since 2009.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:01pm
Here's the remake.

MrsTrackman View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsTrackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Geezer Geezer wrote:

OK, you guys are MISSING A CLUE HERE.... these latest series of Verizon ads are re-cycled ideas from other sources. The "bad idea" one is a direct rip-off of a Saturday Night Live sketch from about 20 years ago...

The "crying girls" commercial is a take off/parody of the this viral video. Notice how they chose an actress for the Verizon ad that resembles this young lady. 

My cat just ran away from this video. I can't blame her. I would too if I could.
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Buckeye001 Buckeye001 wrote:

I like to imagine they didn't shoot the alternate version the same day, and instead called everyone back, put them in the same clothes, and shot a new commercial at a completely separate time and place. I do hope someone paid for this with their job though.
I played the two versions side by side, and they are almost exactly identical, right down to the same walk-on actors in the background. LOL
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 7:16pm
I came back after a long while away from here just to find posts about this ad. I knew you guys would have something to say about. God, this ad seriously gets on my nerves, my parents watch hockey a lot and when I'm in the room I hear this ad come on like six freaking times a game, at least. My mom hates it too. I can't BELIEVE this ad is even real! 
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
ObserverNY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ObserverNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 5:33pm
First let me say I happen to already be a Verizon customer, and a Mom with a 22 year old daughter who has moved away (approx 6.2 mi). Both my daughter and I found the initial ad "cute". Why did Verizon drop the sub-titles, change the 6.2 miles to 15 miles and clarify the speech? It completely ruined the original ad which, I thought, conveyed the fact that with all of this "new
 technology, this mother and daughter would still be able to continue to "communicate" with each other in a way MOST people can't relate to or aren't fortunate enough to have such a close bond with their mothers. As for just the daughter's tears being fake, obviously so were the mother's! 

Personally, I think getting rid of the sub-titles had something to do with not also being translated into Spanish. 
txamamom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txamamom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 9:25pm
This is the most horrible, stupidest commercial ever.  Well, maybe not but it is vying for the worst commercial. Is it really that hard to find new material for a commercial?  Why don't you do a test of people on the street before you subject TV viewers with something so horrible that it leaves a bad taste with them for your company.  I can come up with several funnier commercial possibilities that are better than this and I am no professional but I know what is funny and WHAT IS NOT.  
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 10:41pm
I would had put on my best crying act while sending the daughter off to college. Then immediately changed my phone number and door locks so she wouldn't dump dirty laundry at the house or call me for money.

Can you hear me now?
No?
Good...Smile
John Mason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 4:38am
Apparently they did test it out before airing it.  They seem to have tested it out on NY moms and daughters, which would explain why the rest of the country finds it so annoying.
Buckeye001 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 6:44am
The way the daughter says "Skype" in the new version is sort of cute. But I have a feeling both actresses will find it just slightly harder to find more roles thanks to this. Some casting person is going to think "Eww, I don't want people relating our product to that Verizon mess". 
Joined 4/23/12, Frequent lurker on CIH since 2009.
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:27pm
As much as I hope these ads will not survive past tomorrow, I don't have a good feeling. They might try to repurpose them or run them for Mother's Day next year.

I hope they don't have anything planned for Father's Day Shocked
alext View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by MrsTrackman MrsTrackman wrote:

Originally posted by Geezer Geezer wrote:

OK, you guys are MISSING A CLUE HERE.... these latest series of Verizon ads are re-cycled ideas from other sources. The "bad idea" one is a direct rip-off of a Saturday Night Live sketch from about 20 years ago...

The "crying girls" commercial is a take off/parody of the this viral video. Notice how they chose an actress for the Verizon ad that resembles this young lady. 

My cat just ran away from this video. I can't blame her. I would too if I could.

lmao I've never seen this video before it's fantastic. "I just really love cats"
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 9:08am
Hey kat! Long time.

NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 4:57pm
It's after Mother's Day. We can come out now. It's safe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic