Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Johnny Cash "Hurt" for a video game

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Johnny Cash "Hurt" for a video game
    Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 8:59pm
I hate this commercial, I can't stand that "Hurt" by Johnny Cash is used...his is a semi-Christian song, replacing the line "Crown of sh*t" to "Crown of Thorns".
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 4:24am

This comemercial depresses me.

It's all wrong. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:02am
Hmmm........I suppose it *is* weird that such personal songs are used for such shallow nonsense.

However, an artist doesn't expect every listener to know the story behind the song (I don't think); the artist merely taps their well of emotions to help them write. As it is, they're selling out their most personal experiences. They can pick and choose which ones to share.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by ob1jacobi ob1jacobi wrote:

You know...I was gonna say that my main reason for wishing for a different song choice had more to do with that I thought I had already heard it used for The Walking Dead, which is a show I"ve come to really like, but I thought "Hurt" was the song they used for their theme commercials, but it was "I see a Darkness", which I think Johhny Cash in general works well with Walking Dead commercials. Very fitting. here's the theme video link, really a pretty cool commercial for the show

I love that show.  I hate that I have to wait till the fall for the next episode.

ob1jacobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1jacobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 8:33am
You know...I was gonna say that my main reason for wishing for a different song choice had more to do with that I thought I had already heard it used for The Walking Dead, which is a show I"ve come to really like, but I thought "Hurt" was the song they used for their theme commercials, but it was "I see a Darkness", which I think Johhny Cash in general works well with Walking Dead commercials. Very fitting. here's the theme video link, really a pretty cool commercial for the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP16PN7-eEs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP16PN7-eEs
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

I am curious of the disdain here..

So I am curious about the complaints. Is it generally that it's a  bummer of a premise? Stupid seeming game? A bad cover by Cash? Or a good cover of a bad song?  Just curious

Since I'm the OP, my issue is that it was a very good song by Reznor that a dying Cash made into an emotionally wrenching and extremely personal song and video before his death. The vapidly stupid video game theme trivializes that. I'd have much preferred they use NiN's original.

What will they use to promote the sequel, Clapton's "Tears in Heaven"?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 2:21pm

When he did those covers he picked the personally based on his relating and admiration of the artist. I think Reznor has control over that song since he had to (and gladly) allow Cash to cover it. Reznor is a big gamer and has been doing game stuff for years. So even Cash's estate probably has little say over his covers being used and for what.

In fact, Cash probably had to pay Reznor to cover the song.  And his estate probably has to pay to Reznor some of the money it got for letting the video game company use Cash's version of the song.  The amount probably depends on how many units of the game are sold.  However, this could probably all be negotiated in various ways.

That's just a guess, by the way. 

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 11:42pm
When he did those covers he picked the personally based on his relating and admiration of the artist. I think Reznor has control over that song since he had to (and gladly) allow Cash to cover it. Reznor is a big gamer and has been doing game stuff for years. So even Cash's estate probably has little say over his covers being used and for what.
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 3:37pm
I'm just offended that an original, old-school punk like Cash would sell out for a video game. Yeah, he's dead, wasn't HIS decision, but when I think hardscrabble punk, I don't think of some chubby, coddled loser playing video games all day.

"hurting myself so I could feel the pain"- yeah that does sound a little emo for Cash, but he was a drug addict. Still, the video game is more dark-goth than rebel-punk, and I associate Cash with the latter, not the former.
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 3:21pm
This isn't the first time Johnny's been used in a game trailer.  Splinter Cell: Conviction did it a couple years back:

Buckeye001 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 6:01am
For the longest time, I often discovered old music thanks to a video game's influence (the Fallout series, "artsy" commercials like this one). But I've known about this song since it came out, and seeing all the little kids on Youtube praising the video game for introducing them to this song upsets me. Now I know how the other side feels. It's very sobering. I had to drink some coffee and stare at the wall for a while.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:38pm

I am curious of the disdain here.. usually when people feel differently than me on a subject I just shrug it off and chalk it up to different strokes, etc.. but I am really curious as the concerns here? Is it that Cash covered a Nine Inch Nails song? Or that he covered multiple pop/rock songs there near his later years? (Depeche Mode Personal Jesus) Or wrong on so many levels because the song is sad? though the ad is about a plague that alters people's physiology to be weapons and bombs *hence the explosion when he lands in the pavement* He is seeking revenge on the guy who infected him after the same virus killed his wife and kids.. etc.
It's a revenge, kill your creator type of story arc game.

So I am curious about the complaints. Is it generally that it's a  bummer of a premise? Stupid seeming game? A bad cover by Cash? Or a good cover of a bad song?  Just curious

The lyrics to the song seem too metal or death rock or emo, and seem inappropriate for Cash.  Kinda reminds me of Frank Sinatra covering Eleanor Rigby

But I didn't pay attention so much to what the ad was about.  I just thought that "hurting myself to see if I could still feel pain" is just such a juvenile thing to say---not something Cash should be singing about.  Plus, his singing is extra-bad.  He sounds awful. 

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 1:50am
I've heard this song before...I don't like this version. The version I've heard (and liked) was performed by Misia on her Ruas album.

At 40~ seconds, give or take.

As for the commercial...it doesn't really bother me, impress me...it's mediocore, to be honest.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 1:26am
I am curious of the disdain here.. usually when people feel differently than me on a subject I just shrug it off and chalk it up to different strokes, etc.. but I am really curious as the concerns here? Is it that Cash covered a Nine Inch Nails song? Or that he covered multiple pop/rock songs there near his later years? (Depeche Mode Personal Jesus) Or wrong on so many levels because the song is sad? though the ad is about a plague that alters people's physiology to be weapons and bombs *hence the explosion when he lands in the pavement* He is seeking revenge on the guy who infected him after the same virus killed his wife and kids.. etc.
It's a revenge, kill your creator type of story arc game.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 4:35am
Cash should've probably passed on this particular collaboration.
keyboardplayer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 8:44pm
This is wrong on so many levels. Talk about a bad song choice.
This is your brain on commercials.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 11:50am
Well it's actually a Trent Reznor song (NIN front man) and he does a lot of soundtrack music for games. So he made the call I am sure, but yeah I wonder about Cash's cover. I do know it is more morose than NIN version and that is saying a lot because the original is pretty grim as well.

TeamEdward1976 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamEdward1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 8:30am
Man,at first you think its a tragic commercial where people are getting killed then after a few minutes,you realize it's a video game commercial and you think damn,Johnny Cash must be rolling in his grave!LOL!This song is not a video game song!Now this commercial had been about people getting killed,then the song would work.
Julie
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 11:18pm
This is an abomination. Whoever sold the rights should be shot. Dead

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic