Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My cat is croaking.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My cat is croaking.....
    Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 4:29am

I let them out on the enclosed front porch.

Lizards have a way of finding their way in.

I have to seal it up better before I let them back out.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 12:00am
Thought you kept your cats inside. It could very well be the pollen. Not allergies, but licking anything outdoors that has a coat of pollen on it.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 11:18pm
Confused...just make sure it doesn't start doing THIS silliness....
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 11:13pm
Give him some chicken soup....  Wink 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Watch out ol'Mule - could actually be feline asthma!

Thanks pa, but that's not what my cat is doing.

The one in the vid is sort of "purring".

My cat only makes croaking sounds when he tries to meow.

Otherwise, he seems fine.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 10:12pm
Mickey had this last week.  His voice is very soft to begin with, but it got kinda creaky for a few days.  I surmised it was from sitting outside my back door and meowing and meowing to come in (which I don't always hear).  Because of the kittens, his cat door is closed off, so he doesn't have the full access that he did.

But I also wondered if it was pollen---perhaps irritating his throat.  My pine trees were blasting out clouds of yellow powder during that period.

But in light of the lizard lick, maybe your cat's throat got irritated, or he has a piece of bone stuck in it. 

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 10:00pm
Watch out ol'Mule - could actually be feline asthma!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:41pm
WOW!  (and thanks, Jimbo for scaring the crap out of me with the title of this post!)

I was going to suggest "upper respiratory infection" as cats are prone to get, but now I wonder if maybe he hurt his throat puking up lizard giblets.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:40pm
I came up with this on a search:

Quote Cats can develop laryngitis. A previous cat of mine did because she was hissing non-stop at a stray cat that kept coming into our garden. After a short course of antibiotics from the vet her voice was back to normal.

The circumstances are different, but maybe dealing with the lizard did cause yours to get laryngitis which is causing the croaking. I'd definitely take him to the vet.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:33pm
Nooooo..... not "that kind" of croaking.

He's literally CROAKING...

Like he has a frog in his throat.

Noooooo.... not a real frog.... the kind of frog you have in your throat when your vocal chords aren't acting right.

IOW..... his meower is broken. Disapprove

He tries to meow & all he's able to do is make this weak little croaky sound come out.

I've read that cats can get laryngitis, but that's usually accompanied by cold symptoms... i.e. runny nose, crusty eyes, etc. He has none of that.

About a week or so ago, he got ahold of a big lizard on the front porch. I caught him in time & took it away from him, but not before he crunched down on it a couple of times. Probably swallowed some "lizard juice". Anyway, later on that day he became lethargic & lost his appetite. I pulled up some grass for him & he nearly climbed my leg to get it as I was bringing it inside.

He ate it & threw up later on. The next day I repeated & he did as well.

After that, he was back to his old self, energy & appetite returned etc., but since then, his meow has just not been what it was prior to that.

Any ideas?

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic