Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advertorials on TV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advertorials on TV
    Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 5:01pm
An "advertorial" is an ad that looks like regular content in a magazine. Usually, the font is a little different, and it says "advertisement" in fine print at the bottom of each page. I'm accustomed to seeing them in magazines.

Granted, the average TV show is little more than an advertorial: Celebrities visit talk shows to promote their latest projects; morning shows feature the latest products you "need" to buy; reality shows like Pawn Stars and American Restoration are ideal infomercials for those businesses.

But now, the lines are blurring. Yesterday on Today Ermm , they were going on and on about a breakthrough treatment for cellulite. As if it were some kind of real scientific achievement.

And if a solution for cellulite WERE discovered, by all means it WOULD be front-page news (at least for Americans!) It would make the inventor a multi-trillionaire. It would certainly be news-worthy.

But this is hardly THE CURE. It's just another cosmetic procedure, and probably no more effective than all the others. Even the graphics they were using to explain how it works were vague- didn't really clarify anything.

It would be one thing if they presented Sell-U-Laze as a "featured product." But it was strategically marketed as pretend news, and that just pisses me off to no end. Yes, brilliant, but also frightening to think how much the Sell-U people paid for that kind of product placement.

And it's completely unethical from a journalistic standpoint for the show to go along with it. Angry
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 7:17pm
My local news channel is always talking about the latest tech gadget as if it was actual news.  But then, so do newspapers.  When the latest iPhone (or even Nike sneakers, for that matter) comes out, it's deemed newsworthy.

Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 3:08am
When the latest iPhone (or even Nike sneakers, for that matter) comes out, it's deemed newsworthy.

I could understand how it's business news. In fact, I could see how a new cellulite treatment could be considered business news.

But for it to appear under the guise of "CURE for cellulite" in a regular part of the program, that's just shady.

Advertising is trying to get sneaky, as a way of preventing people from simply tuning out automatically. Like, "Oh commercial break, time to go to the bathroom!" This way, you don't have a chance to react.

Which is how I got stuck seeing it and then needing to comment on CIH. Jerks!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic