Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CDC 'Tips from Former Smokers' (VIDEOs)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CDC 'Tips from Former Smokers' (VIDEOs)
    Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 1:27am
ConfusedDeadOuch

Daaaamn - talk about 'grabbing your bad habit by the nuts and twisting'!

The 'schlock factor' in these is just simply over-the-top; they went too far, this time.
"This is your brain NOT on drugs...but, watch these and you might need some just to get to sleep"

DisapproveThere are even MORE of these, but it seems three should get the point across...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 1:30am
I think you should have included the worse. Some fat woman in a bed saying smoking caused her to have a stroke, and now her barely-out-of-diapers 20-something son has to clean out her coochie since she can't.

It's not so much the ad itself that's creepy, because I've dealt with strokes in the family, and I do know it's serious, but the way the son is so involved in her, I just get images so disturbing and grotesque.

"Honey, it's mom. I'm calling because that Janitor here with the wonky eye and the plastic leg has been given me 'the look'. Do you think you can come down and give me a quick brazillian? I'd like him to get to the goods without having to use a machete."
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 1:34am

Dead...you asked for it!

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 1:40am
These are horrible.  But, whatever works!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

These are horrible.  But, whatever works!

Yea. So you better quit smokin' before you have to post using your nubs.
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 2:05am
They are horrible, I agree, but they certainly tell the truth.  My dad lost his bladder due to smoking and coming in contact with certain chemicals on the job.  He has a stoma and a bag for the urine.

I think, in NY, they should also do rougher anti-drinking campaigns.  Not just car wrecks - yellow skin and eyes from liver disease, pictures of the liver being operated on, CT's of brain deterioration.  Maybe our counties, where the police regularly get pulled over on their off-hours for DWI, will actually have some people who would get help.  Or, they'd go to Rite-Aid, buy whatever 30-pack is on sale, and get hammered.  Whatever.

Cross Traffic View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cross Traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 2:13am
They always show these during NHL games now, such a debbie downer. Being shown pictures of cancerous lungs in high school was motivation enough not to smoke.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 2:23am
My Father was a Heavy Smoker, and I have to admit I got him to quit. I used a most unusual method to do it. Whenever he came home with a carton of smokes, I calculated how much he spent, and put that amount aside in my savings. A year later, I took that money and went on a SIX WEEK Vacation to Europe! LOL He quit smoking that year, and lived another 11 years before an aneurysm in his stomach did him in. 
Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 2:26am
A friend of mine's dad got throat cancer from a lifetime of heavy smoking. They removed a huge tumor from the side of his neck along with his voice box. He had a hole in his throat, so he smoked his cigarettes thru the hole. More direct delivery of the satisfaction I suppose.

Of course, he didn't keep that up for long......

Dead

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 4:32am
Jimbo, I remember my great uncle doing the same thing.  He'd move the bib on his neck aside so he could puff on a cigarette in his neck.  He was dead shortly after that.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 2:02pm
I don't smoke and never will. Cannabis I can understand....but nicotine cigarettes? Why bother! Why even start? Is your health, possessions, and cash really worth losing because you feel like you're luckier then these people and it will never happen to you? Because you need something to do with your hands and you're a slave to your habit? Why let a 3 inch stick run your freaking life? Even if you die of natural causes your home and possessions are still going to smell like ass for the rest of time. Good luck selling your car, home, or ANYTHING on the resale market. As a reseller myself I hate finding something that was in a smoking home because you just can't get the stink off, and ebay buyers will call you out on it.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 4:29am
Speaking as someone who hates scare tactics, I found this one effective. I'm 29 and don't smoke but  this commercial creeped me out. Hopefully it's having the same effects on kids who are even considering having a puff.
The poster formerly known as producer757
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by tvpirate05 tvpirate05 wrote:

Speaking as someone who hates scare tactics, I found this one effective. I'm 29 and don't smoke but  this commercial creeped me out. Hopefully it's having the same effects on kids who are even considering having a puff.
Funny, when I go to one of our supermarkets, there are always a cluster of kids outside smoking. They must be in the 16 - 20 range. These kids have never seen a cigarette ad and have had the anti-smoking and Just Say No campaigns shoved down their throats since they were embryos. I'm surprised how many young kids I do see puffing.  Ditto with drugs and drinking. There are always horrible stories in the papers. I guess these campaigns are 50/50 at best.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Funny, when I go to one of our supermarkets, there are always a cluster of kids outside smoking. They must be in the 16 - 20 range...
ConfusedJust where do kids in New York come by the money it takes to buy a pack of cigarettes? They HAVE to be selling drugs to acquire that kind of cash (about $10 a pack).

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Funny, when I go to one of our supermarkets, there are always a cluster of kids outside smoking. They must be in the 16 - 20 range...
ConfusedJust where do kids in New York come by the money it takes to buy a pack of cigarettes? They HAVE to be selling drugs to acquire that kind of cash (about $10 a pack).

I think they actually work at the supermarket so they have some dough. 

Either that or, Mom's purse when she's zoned out on Valium and wine.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

My bro and sis-in-law in NJ pay almost that amount.  I've been paying $4.23/pack lately (Marlboro).  If the price went up, I'd probably still smoke.  Probably the only thing that'd get me to stop (other than death) would be if they were made illegal.  That might not be such a bad thing in that regard.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 4:47pm
I consider myself lucky with regards to smoking.

I always enjoyed it, but was able to quit on my own with no problems whatosever.

For some reason, unlike my unhealthy food addiction, it's never been able to grab me so tightly that I couldn't control it.

Actually, I occasionally still enjoy one.

I keep a few packs in the refrigerator & they've literally lasted for years. When I drive over to the coast to visit my mom, like I did yesterday, I can take my cigarettes with me, stop at a 7-Eleven on the way & get a coffee or soda fountain beverage (gotta have one or the other when I smoke) & cruise down the highway relaxing while enjoying a "coke & a smoke".

I smoke about a half a pack to a pack a year.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 5:10pm
It's my only vice.  I never drink or take drugs, and my diet is OK.  I almost feel I deserve to smoke.  But, really, that's a stupid feeling.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 5:16pm
Smoking is the most damaging of them all.

But on the other hand, some people smoke all their lives & live to be quite old.

My dad started smoking in his early teens & smoked everyday until he was over 80.

My mom made him quit for the last two years of his life & that's what bought him those last two years.

Of course, he spent every day of those last two years wishing he had a cigarette.... LOL

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 5:24pm
There's some old lady named Irene who takes walks around my hood every day.  Whenever I see her, she's always puffin' away.  I'm guessing she's 85.

My mother smoked into her 70s, when she got Alzheimer's.  At that point, she began tossing lit cigarettes into garbage cans, causing little fires a few times.  My father simply informed her one day that she wasn't a smoker, and never was.  And that was that.  She never smoked again, nor even asked to do so.  LOL

TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:47pm

It's funny you mention that.

When I was growing up, there was a kid in my class who always had a wad of 20's on him. This was in 7th and 8th grade. He would literally come to school with 100 dollars in 20 dollar bills and he would buy people stuff. When I asked him how he gets the money he said, "I know where my parents hide their money."

Last I heard, he was unemployed and still living at home because he's too lazy to work.  I wonder why. LOL
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by TV_Casualty TV_Casualty wrote:

It's funny you mention that.

When I was growing up, there was a kid in my class who always had a wad of 20's on him. This was in 7th and 8th grade. He would literally come to school with 100 dollars in 20 dollar bills and he would buy people stuff. When I asked him how he gets the money he said, "I know where my parents hide their money."

Last I heard, he was unemployed and still living at home because he's too lazy to work.  I wonder why. LOL
LOL  There was always AT LEAST 1 id in scholl who had money. My friend Ann always had a fiver, ten or twenty on her. This was in the early 70s when most people were lucky to have a quarter. I swear, I think her old man was into "waste management." (Bronx, NY). LOL

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:55pm
Dear Lord - let's try that again:  1 KID in SCHOOL.

Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 2:56am
There's a magnificent double-standard being peddled here. Where's the commercials that show people's brains being scooped up off of the pavement because some stupid ass got behind the wheel while drunk? Where's the commercials that show a guy with jaundice throwing up bloody vomit because his liver's been destroyed by alcohol?

Nah, that's fine.

These commercials come on, and the next commercial...

"GRAB SOME BUDS!"

It's just like the anti-drug commercials which are so utterly LAUGHABLE. They come on, and the next commercial is for beer. Hypocrisy abound.

Honestly, is there a single sentient being on this planet who doesn't know the harms of smoking? Everybody already knows. It's EVERYWHERE. They're not telling us anything that we don't already know.
Umbrella Girl View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umbrella Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 12:27am
I think it's because alcohol in moderation is relatively OK.  Even somewhat good if you're a wine drinker.

But with cigarettes, of course, there's no safe amount.
When it rains, it pours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic