Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tide Pods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldiesmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tide Pods
    Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 3:49am
Leave it to P&G to ruin an obscure 80s tune...

The song used in the ad is called (obviously) "Pop Goes The World". The version in the ad is by a group I've never heard of called Savoir Adore. The song was originally recorded by Men Without Hats in 1987 (the same group that brought us "Safety Dance"). The song is about a fictitious group called The Human Race whose smash hit is "Pop Goes The World".

Original:

Cover as heard in the Tide ad:

I'm glad they're using independent artists more in the ads (better music and I'm sure it's cheaper than using hits by well-known artists), but I wish they'd quit ruining songs like this.
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sponsored Links

TeamEdward1976 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamEdward1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Oldiesmann Oldiesmann wrote:

Leave it to P&G to ruin an obscure 80s tune...

The song used in the ad is called (obviously) "Pop Goes The World". The version in the ad is by a group I've never heard of called Savoir Adore. The song was originally recorded by Men Without Hats in 1987 (the same group that brought us "Safety Dance"). The song is about a fictitious group called The Human Race whose smash hit is "Pop Goes The World".

Original:
Cute videoSmileI just love the 80's!
Cover as heard in the Tide ad:

I'm glad they're using independent artists more in the ads (better music and I'm sure it's cheaper than using hits by well-known artists), but I wish they'd quit ruining songs like this.
I agree!Stop butchering the classics!
Julie
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:39pm
I bought the Men Without Hats version from iTunes.  Catchy little song.  I was actually glad to hear it in this commercial.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 3:50am
CryThey need to save us by stopping this commercial.
I'm abou to POP
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 4:08am
I just hate the people popping out of washing machines. Stupid!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 12:17pm
The 80's video is a riot, not taking themselves so seriously, that's something that today's musicians should learn from.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 9:49pm
I have seen news stories that kids are mistaking these pods for candy treats, yet they still run these ads.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 9:57pm
I just saw on the local news that a toddler broke one of these open and may be permanently blind in one eye.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic