Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fads That Should Die?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fads That Should Die?
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 2:00am
Inanimate food begging to be eaten. Or allowing their friends and family members to be eaten.
Women acting like idiots over food and shoes.  Most women do not act like that!

My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Sponsored Links

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 4:34pm
Also, children dessing up as adults and doing adult jobs.  Looks slightly creepy.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:32pm
People swiping other people's food. With the way people in food commercials act you'd swear Ponderosa should just replace The Grand Buffet with a giant trough.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Starship Koyote View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starship Koyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 10:20am
The yogurt orgasm face has to go. For the love of joy and innocence, we must stop the yogurt orgasm face. No one likes yogurt that much.
Don't be a hater. Be an appreciator.
Pervis View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pervis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 4:15pm
Indie music sung by females with cutesy sounding voices. Angry

I'm so sick of it at this point.
Cathode_Ray View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathode_Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Pervis Pervis wrote:

OMG, YES!!!!  I hit the mute button when they come on.
"Some things are unexplained, until they are." - Dr. Walter Bishop
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 9:21pm
Holding hands in separate bathtubs.Big smile You just used the pill....... one tub will do.
Dear View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 6:03am
Portraying that your food product is SO delicious that your actors/actresses must wear half of the meal and/or chew loudly with a whole lotta lip smackin' and don't forget to keep your mouth open so the audience can see what you're eating.
Dead I made myself feel ill...
Please, stop saying "Awesome" in commercials! Your actors are not awe-inspiring and neither is your product.
Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 6:48am
Women wearing fedoras. It's not 'hip', it's not 'sexy', it just looks dorky. The statement it makes is not 'I am sensual and self-confident', it's 'I'm having a bad hair day, but now I can get away with it because some asshole thought fedoras look good on women.'
Or, for that matter, men wearing fedoras post-1970(Abe Vigoda can wear one if he wants to.)
The only channel where fedoras should be considered 'normal' is Turner Classic Movies.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 8:29pm

MissyDWolf just today pointed out one that should end.

Ads that show a person getting 'beat up and slapped around' by some condition that an over-the-counter medical product can put down.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Original Cyn View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Original Cyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 8:40am

Oh good lord yes.  Those commercials are Mute Button All-Stars in the House of Cyn.  Unfortunately, the quantity and/or frequency of these ads seems to be increasing exponentially Confused.

On more than one occasion, I've wondered how/why TIIC (the idiots in charge) of Marketing for these various products could conceive that a commercial featuring the shrieky caterwauling of some nasally hippie-chick singing attempting (and failing) to do a horribly off-key imitation of Amy Whinehouse* will attract customers and increase sales.  I mean, good grief -- the screeching of two alley cats fcuking on a hot July night is more pleasing to the ear Dead Dead.

*deliberately misspelled

A couple of fads that need to FOADIAF (Censored off and die in a fire) are the use abuse of 

- catch-phrases made famous by comedians or celebrities (or celebutards like Paris Hilton), 
- well-known sayings or phrases from pop culture, and/or 
- the re-enacting of famous scenes from movies or TV shows,

all of which are re-written or customized to some extent, of course, in the hopes of selling some POS product or service.  This seems to happen more with local or regional low-budget commercials rather than national ad campaigns, and the end product of these ads (if the channel wasn't immediately changed) is excruciatingly painful to watch.

In the (small) town where I live, there's an independently owned used-car dealership that is a repeat offender of this fad.  Their ads always "star" the dealership's owner, a shlub of a man who is middle-aged, chubby, and balding.  For reasons unknown, every commercial they've done for the past 5 years (possibly longer, as we moved here in 2007) has featured The Shlub doing a painfully atrocious impersonation of Larry the Cable Guy, each ad always ending with the cringeworthy "Git 'Er Dunnnnn!!"

Yeeech.   

"Well-behaved women rarely make history." ~~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Original Cyn Original Cyn wrote:

all of which are re-written or customized to some extent, of course, in the hopes of selling some POS product or service.  This seems to happen more with local or regional low-budget commercials rather than national ad campaigns, and the end product of these ads (if the channel wasn't immediately changed) is excruciatingly painful to watch.

In the (small) town where I live, there's an independently owned used-car dealership that is a repeat offender of this fad.  Their ads always "star" the dealership's owner, a shlub of a man who is middle-aged, chubby, and balding.  For reasons unknown, every commercial they've done for the past 5 years (possibly longer, as we moved here in 2007) has featured The Shlub doing a painfully atrocious impersonation of Larry the Cable Guy, each ad always ending with the cringeworthy "Git 'Er Dunnnnn!!"

Yeeech.   

Those bad local commercials have existed forever.  The difference is that they used to have a sort of hokey low-budget charm.  But in the past number of years, they seemed to have turned into a contest to see who can have the craziest one out there.  So, no longer are they natural.  Now, they seem forced.  This mostly applies to car dealership commercials.

Cathode_Ray View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathode_Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 4:01pm
We have a local dealer who often appears as "Kia Kong" and "Dodgezilla", stomping over the competition and breathing fire. All of his dealerships bear his name, and he's in every commercial. What an ego.
"Some things are unexplained, until they are." - Dr. Walter Bishop
The Mad Gasser View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Mad Gasser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 5:07pm
Auto-tuning, Period.
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:16pm
On ESPN and sports broadcasts, the frantic pit-crew parody. They keep throwing these into all sorts of ads. And the always-turning-left NASCAR parody.
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Starship Koyote Starship Koyote wrote:

The yogurt orgasm face has to go.

I'd add ANY food-orgasm face to that list.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:18pm
Children in ads that can't - or aren't old enough yet - to articulate and you have no friggin'  idea what they're saying.  Especially if they're forced to use big words that have NO PLACE in a kid's vocabulary.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:35pm

Women dancing some wimpy little dance over yogurt or over some "cute" outfit they got at TJ Maxx or some such place.

Oldiesmann View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldiesmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 7:25am

Volvo has jumped on that bandwagon now...

Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
Cincinnati, Ohio
Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Children in ads that can't - or aren't old enough yet - to articulate and you have no friggin'  idea what they're saying.  Especially if they're forced to use big words that have NO PLACE in a kid's vocabulary.

And especially when they're struggling to read some script for some PSA or election ad, telling us about how if we don't donate to the charity, or vote against the evil bastard politician of the opposite party, or just do whatever the ad tells us, 'I won't have a future'.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 7:41am
People judging other people based on their social networking profiles (ie Facebook/Twitter/etc.).
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Oldiesmann Oldiesmann wrote:

Volvo has jumped on that bandwagon now...

Now, there's an example in which the original song would've done just fine.  In fact, it'd make Volvo sound a little more daring.  But no---they have to go with the cutesy female singer.  Maybe they needed to take the sex outta the song.  I dunno why, though---considering how everything is "sexy" these days.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic