Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SAVE ON GAS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korydvandyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SAVE ON GAS
    Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 2:40am
Jimminy Crickets!! 90% of commercials now are all about how you can save on gas!

"This car has better mileage!"
"This car will get you free gas for a year!"
"This hotel will get you a fee gas card!"
"Sign up for a Wal-Mart gift card, and save on gas!"
"Save on gas, save on gas, save on gas!!!!!!"

I'M SICK OF IT

You want to save on gas!?!?!?!?  SEEK ALTERNATIVES TO DRIVING!

Believe it or not this nation was not founded on gas. Driving is not the American Dream; It's the American Nightmare!
Sponsored Links

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 3:56am
The thing that upsets me a bit is that gas mileage hasn't changed much. My 93 car gets 35 highway, whenever I see those stupid Toyota commercials spew "ZOMG 35 highway that's AWESOME!" I just sort of shrug. Granted, my car is a 2 seater, the fact that getting 35 MPG wasn't an issue 15 YEARS AGO. Talk to me when your Corolla can do 50 highway.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 4:28am
My 1989 Mustang was getting 32-35 MPG when I was commuting to work about a decade ago, so Toyota can suck my ass when they brag about MPG. If they are supposedly so green, then why are they still building trucks and SUVs?
Nautigal View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 5:46am
Yeah, I've been laughing at all these new cars making such a point of advertising 25 mpg highway, and such. My 96 Mazda gets 35 mpg, so I don't see why they can't get 50 by now.
Nautigal View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 5:47am
Oh yeah, and my 83 Nissan got over 30 mpg all the time, too.
powerfunk View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powerfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 6:18am
Originally posted by korydvandyke korydvandyke wrote:

Driving is not the American Dream; It's the American Nightmare!
I dunno...to me, driving = American Dream.  Every American should drive coast-to-coast at some point in their lives.  I don't know what you mean by "this country was not founded on gas," because arguably, the modern industrial American economy was founded on automobiles and automotive transportation.  But if you want to ride a bicycle to work, I salute you, my friend. Clap And I am also sick of car companies giving themselves blowjobs about 30 mpg, whoopty doo.
Always, ALWAYS get CHILI on your nachos bell grande.
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 5:30pm
Back in the mid-1970s, there were commercials on ye 'ol boob tube advertising cars that could get ~35mpg city and close to 40mpg highway.
Why have there been no significant improvements since then? Confused :cornfused: Confused

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 6:19pm
Ma&PaWolf; 'Car-Free' since 2-28-08.
Screw the oil companies - let 'em choke.
We're very, very fortunate - we have public transportation.
And now, BMW is advertising their hydro-based technology; Honda has competition!
MAYBE ONE OF THE AMERICAN CAR COMPANIES WILL GET THE MESSAGE.
Hopefully, this technology will rapidly advance and become affordable.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 6:54pm
There are some reasons why gas mileage is down
1.  All those air bags and safety features add weight
2.  Higher speed limits-In 1997 Nebraska's went up to 75/65/60
3.  I read somewhere that the EPA had changed the MPG formula

On 2/28/08 I traded a gas-guzzling Dodge Ram for a 2007 Kia Optima with a 4-cylinder engine.  I also bike when possible.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 7:41pm
I used to drive an '88 Saab (it was totaled about 10 years ago) but it got 35 mpg in town. I recently saw an ad for some horrible SUV, and they were bragging about it getting 22 mpg - on the highway! If the Swedes could do it in '88, I'm pretty sure that Americans could come up with something now if they really tried.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by yutolia yutolia wrote:

I used to drive an '88 Saab (it was totaled about 10 years ago) but it got 35 mpg in town. I recently saw an ad for some horrible SUV, and they were bragging about it getting 22 mpg - on the highway! If the Swedes could do it in '88, I'm pretty sure that Americans could come up with something now if they really tried.

Maybe it was this horrible looking thing.......and 24mpg. Big whoopie doo.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 8:15pm
Yeah the mpg rating was altered a couple years ago, it was inflated a bit.
Still, I know for a fact through trial and error and some simple math that my 2000 taurus now gets 20 miles to the gallon.
It used to get around 28.

Now Mustang is celebrating their 27 highway.
If your car gets less than 35 or if it's a car that is type that one would buy with no regard for mpg (ie.. said mustang) then don't try to tout it's relative thriftiness on gas.

Imagine if GTOs were marketed today. Ha
violetlightning View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote violetlightning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 8:29pm
I'm 24 and still don't have a license . . . having never lived outside of Boston it's actually not too bad. (Plus all that walking helps me keep my girlish figure! LOL) Back when I turned 16 it was a much simpler time . . . there was a Clinton in the White House, and my main concern was the cost of insurance and the lack of parking! (God, it seems so frickin long ago.) Lately I've actually seen several of these cars on the road:

And yes, they are actually as small as they look. I was thinking that I would maybe get one of them when I get my license, because the few times I went driving with my permit (which has now been expired for several years) I was in a 90's Ford Taurus, and to me behind the wheel I felt like it was a tank - it seemed huge! (I actually had a slightly traumatic driving experience - no one was hurt, the car was fine, it was just scary and bad and that in part is what has prevented me from seeking my license again, although I'll be getting my permit again pretty soon.) I'm a little concerned about the safety though, so I'll probably decide to hold out for a used Prius. Plus, the smart cars remind my Mom of these.
Shocked

This website
has info on mpg ratings for cars - the Prius actually gets better mileage than the Smart Fortwo. Also, for Massholes such as myself, apparently there's a guy in Chelsea selling the stuff that works in FlexFuel cars (like my parents' Taurus') for $2.85/gallon. It supposedly gets 20% less mileage per gallon (I forget the actual percentage), but the cost is more than 20% less  (or whatever) than gas, so it's still economical, and hopefully they'll find better crops to use than corn and soy, and we'll be able to use biofuels without depleting the world food supply.

My parents have been buying cars with good mpg ratings forever - so for me it's funny to see the companies suddenly marketing with that. My brother and I were saying recently "when did Mom and Dad become the target consumer for absolutely everything?"
Mayor Quimby supports revolving-door prisons. Mayor Quimby even released Sideshow Bob, a man twice convicted of attempted murder. Can you trust a man like Mayor Quimby? Vote Sideshow Bob for Mayor.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 8:50pm
It doesn't look like there's room for groceries in the Smart Fortwo.LOL  I wonder what happened to Kia. Someone bought them but I haven't seen any recently.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 9:14pm
I actually saw one of these at Buffalo Int'l Airport, last weekend. Looked it over REAL GOOD. Room for groceries exists...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
powerfunk View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powerfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

It doesn't look like there's room for groceries in the Smart Fortwo.LOL  I wonder what happened to Kia. Someone bought them but I haven't seen any recently.

One time, when a buddy of mine was traversing Europe, he met up with a Navy buddy of his and several of his Navy friends in Venice.  They walked by a Smartcar and everyone unanimously responded, "That's the stupidest thing in the world..." And thus, about eight Navy guys simply picked up the Smartcar and dropped it into a canal.  True story, not that I approve...ShockedLOL  And it was Hyundai that bought Kia.
Always, ALWAYS get CHILI on your nachos bell grande.
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 6:09am
I watched a commercial tonight for a V8 pick-up truck.
Their spin on the gas buzz, we have a bigger tank so we can go further.
Imagine that....less gas stops?!?!?!

utter tripe
was feeling nostalgic
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 6:18am

Talk about driving being a nightmare??? Try driving 300 miles with five kids in the friggin van!! Holy leaping lizard turds!!! You'll wish you were drinking and driving about five feet from the damned driveway!!! Ages 14 down to 2, so it's rap to crap!!

AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 2:40pm
Agreed with those who mentioned the new models aren't any better than the old ones.  My 94 Nissan Sentra used to get up to 35.  My brand new Corolla gets low 30's.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 4:46pm
I'm waiting for the Chevy Volt to come out in 2 years. 40 mile before the gas motor kicks in. That would be perfect for me with, a 17 mile drive to work everyday. I can go months without filling up. An American made car that would put all of those "Pious" drivers to shame! Can't wait to rub it in (and I'm not the bragging type), because all those jap car companies can kiss my ass. My wife's Malibu will be paid off in less than 2 years , and that will free up the money for a new car.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 5:22pm
What kills me is electric cars started appearing in the late 90s and early 2000's in California  before the manufacturers took them off the road and destroyed them.  I caught the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?" on TV a few times, I'd highly recommend it.
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 6:08am
Hyundai and Kia merged 10 years ago.  Grand Island just got both a Kia and a Hyundai dealer last year.  The people who own the Ford dealership sells Kia (where I got my Optima) and the people who own the Chevy dealership sells Hyundai.  Also, the four-cylinder engine in my Optima is also in some Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Dodge, and Chrysler models.   And I just noticed something else watching TV last week.  I saw a Dodge commercial where they had an Avenger and a Caliber side by side and the Avenger (which has the 2.4L four mentioned above) got 1 mpg better than a smaller Caliber (with a 2.0L four).
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 7:00am
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

I watched a commercial tonight for a V8 pick-up truck.
Their spin on the gas buzz, we have a bigger tank so we can go further.
Imagine that....less gas stops?!?!?!

utter tripe

We sit and laugh at the commercials that tout "452 miles between fill-ups"!  Yeah, and it'll cost you $160 to fill up when you do have to stop. 

They think we're DOOPID and I don't like that.Angry

JimA View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 11:19am
Originally posted by powerfunk powerfunk wrote:

One time, when a buddy of mine was traversing Europe, he met up with a Navy buddy of his and several of his Navy friends in Venice.  They walked by a Smartcar and everyone unanimously responded, "That's the stupidest thing in the world..." And thus, about eight Navy guys simply picked up the Smartcar and dropped it into a canal.  True story, not that I approve...ShockedLOL 

And people wonder why Americans are hated all over the world.
violetlightning View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote violetlightning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

I'm waiting for the Chevy Volt to come out in 2 years. 40 mile before the gas motor kicks in. That would be perfect for me with, a 17 mile drive to work everyday. I can go months without filling up. An American made car that would put all of those "Pious" drivers to shame! Can't wait to rub it in (and I'm not the bragging type), because all those jap car companies can kiss my ass. My wife's Malibu will be paid off in less than 2 years , and that will free up the money for a new car.

Um, wow. Ditto JimA.

And woohoo, it'll be better than the Prius. If it were available now, or say, a year or two ago, that would be impressive. But saying "in two years we'll have something better than they do now!" - not so much. How do you know the Prius won't be that much better before then?

EDIT: This article articulates my skepticism better than I did - and they actually know something about cars, which I do not. Apparently you could be waiting a very very long time before that superior American smugness can kick in.
Mayor Quimby supports revolving-door prisons. Mayor Quimby even released Sideshow Bob, a man twice convicted of attempted murder. Can you trust a man like Mayor Quimby? Vote Sideshow Bob for Mayor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic