Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb*ass Sonic Guys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberedclub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 4:20am
Every time I see one of these commercials, I can only picture both of them being repeatedly dunked into a bucket full of Ocean Water with those little sharp Sonic ice cubes scraping the skin off of their faces.
Sponsored Links

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 11:54pm
Sonic Dumbass with the crew cut: "If I see her, I'll just give you one of these... BRAAAAALH!" Confused

Seriously... Sonic... stop it.

NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 12:40am
One guy used to be a writer for The Daily Show and Stephen Colbert.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/185616/september-23-2008/peter-grosz-insults

The other guy's a Chicago improv comic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLD9LiEp548

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:05am
I love the Sonic guys.

I liked the original ads better with the girl in them.

I used to look forward to seeing them & I wish they'd start running them again around here.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:28am
I hate these commercials. Does Sonic only cater to douchebags and idiots?
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 9:24pm
These guys are idiots and they need to stop talking with their mouths full. They make the food seem less appetizing.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Sonic Dumbass with the crew cut: "If I see her, I'll just give you one of these... BRAAAAALH!" Confused

Seriously... Sonic... stop it.

LOL I'm sorry people, this makes me laugh, I must be an idiot...
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 10:15pm
I must be a douchebag and an idiot. 

I like the commercials, and the food is fantastic. 
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I must be a douchebag and an idiot. 

Food is fantastic? Your Sonics must be WAY different than mine. Sonic here did used to be good(probably the best fast food burger joint we had, other than Whataburger, which is still king), but for the past few years it's gotten way worse...so much so that the last time I got a burger there, it made a f**king BIG MAC seem like gourmet food, it was so bad that I couldn't even finish the thing. Their coneys have also gotten fairly nasty and rubbery tasting. These days, the only good thing I can get at Sonic is their fiesta steak breakfast burrito and tater tots. Real shame how far they've fallen.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 10:35pm
I guess it sucks to live in Crowley.
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 11:37pm
I actually liked the coneys better before they made them "all-beef." That seems to be the trend everywhere that serves hot dogs (movie theaters, etc.) but all-beef hot dogs make me feel sick!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 4:13am

I guess it sucks to live in Crowley.

The Sonics in Ft Worth are just as awful(Benbrook too, according to several friends who live there), and it's a pretty big city, so it's not just Crowley.

Crowley OTOH has Nicky D's, a local burger joint that has the best burgers I've ever eaten, anywhere, so I can live with having sh*tty Sonic burgers. Even if I want fast food burgers, Whataburger isn't that far away either, and Whataburger is better than Sonic even when Sonic USED to be good(Sonic is closer, which was the only reason I ever picked them over Whataburger, now even being closer won't make me get another Sonic burger).
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 5:24am
The best burgers are the ones you make at home.

Cheaper, too.

There really is no reason to eat burgers at a fast food joint.

I went to Five Guys once. Paid over 12 bucks for 2 burgers & fries.

It was awesome, but not worth 12 bucks when I can make two big, juicy burgers & fries at home for less than half that.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I've never had a homemade burger(either made by myself, my family, or my friends) that was even half as good as what I get at Nicky D's. Nicky D's isn't fast food, but it's sure as hell better than the ones my family, my friends, or I make at home.

And I've never had Five Guys(heard good things though) but it sure as hell doesn't cost over $12 to get 2 burgers and fries at Sonic, Whataburger, Jack in the Box, or well, McD's, not that I really call what they make a "burger".
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 2:14pm

I'm halfway in agreement .. for the most part I do not like their commercials, but no way in hell would it drive me to a boycott of their food.  I especially like their chili cheese fries .. those with a jalapeno burger and a Cherry Limeade and I'm set. Sonic is my 2nd favorite fast food burger joint behind Whataburger, with other places being distant 3rd and lower.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

I've never had a homemade burger(either made by myself, my family, or my friends) that was even half as good as what I get at Nicky D's. Nicky D's isn't fast food, but it's sure as hell better than the ones my family, my friends, or I make at home.

And I've never had Five Guys(heard good things though) but it sure as hell doesn't cost over $12 to get 2 burgers and fries at Sonic, Whataburger, Jack in the Box, or well, McD's, not that I really call what they make a "burger".

Sounds like you all might want to consider taking a course in burger makin' together because sadly, it sounds like you've never had a good homemade one. The ones I make are better than any I've ever bought at any restaurant.

As for Sonic, I love their commercials, but their "hamburgers" are woefully inadequate. Let's just hope they never develop the chutzpah to charge as much as Five Guys does. And though they might not get 12 bucks for two burgers & fries, I'll bet you it's pretty darn close. Probably just south of 4 bucks apiece for the burgers & a couple of bucks for large fries, that's getting close to 10 bucks right there. And Sonic's burger patties are so thin you can read their menu thru one of them. What they call a "hamburger" is mostly lettuce & bread.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 3:04pm

When I make a burger, I mix in various herbs and spices, melt some butter and put it into the mix, maybe crumble some good cheese and mix that in, as well.  In fact, I just cooked up a few of these the other day. 

Next time, maybe I'll put some mustard or horseradish into the meat mix.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Next time, maybe I'll put some mustard or horseradish into the meat mix.

Try mixing in some Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Wink  That stuff's so good I could almost drink it straight from the bottle. It also makes for a damn good marinade, especially for ribeyes. 

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 3:29pm

Yeah, I need to get some of that stuff.  My stuffed peppers call for Worcestershire, too, but I've always subbed tomato sauce for it.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 3:30pm
I like soy sauce.

Or Dale's sauce, which is just soy sauce with a little bit of molasses mixed in for a hint of sweetness & a few other ingredients, but basically it tastes like soy sauce.

Love that flavor on meat.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 3:34pm
Another good thing is teriyaki glaze.

Gotta be the glaze, though.

Nice & thick.

C'mon, man!
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 4:36pm
Jimbo, the thing is, I don't want to make a burger at home! It's messy, and I don't feel like mastering the learning curve to make one that may or may not be better than Five Guys. And then I'm stuck with leftovers because there are only 2 people in my house and we don't eat that much. So it's either burgers for a week or waste and guilt. For me, at least, it's just not worth it. But I'm sure your homemade burgers are good! Big smile
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 5:11pm
You get what you get at a fast food joint, but I struggle with getting burgers at casual dining and even some upscale places.  I am very picky when I am asked how I like mine cooked.  I like them medium-rare, with no crusty black top, and I like the bun toasted. 

I always get the same thing on them, swiss cheese, mushrooms, and mayo on the side.  My wife and I started doing a burger and beer night on Fridays about 5 years ago, now there are 3  other couples.  We try to hit different places and sort of rate them unofficially.

When you get old, you need to find easy entertainment...Wink
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:44pm

Sounds like you all might want to consider taking a course in burger makin' together because sadly, it sounds like you've never had a good homemade one. The ones I make are better than any I've ever bought at any restaurant.

As for Sonic, I love their commercials, but their "hamburgers" are woefully inadequate. Let's just hope they never develop the chutzpah to charge as much as Five Guys does. And though they might not get 12 bucks for two burgers & fries, I'll bet you it's pretty darn close. Probably just south of 4 bucks apiece for the burgers & a couple of bucks for large fries, that's getting close to 10 bucks right there. And Sonic's burger patties are so thin you can read their menu thru one of them. What they call a "hamburger" is mostly lettuce & bread.

I've had home made burgers that were perfectly fine(some of which other people call "amazing"), but they are still way behind Nicky D's. As for yours, maybe they are, maybe they aren't-but MOST people I know say the ones they make are better than any you can get at a restaurant...then I eat one, and while it may be very good, it's still not as good as a Nicky D's burger. So no offense to your cooking skill, you might indeed make an incredible burger, but since I've heard that statement before and found it to be inaccurate, I won't ever be convinced without actually getting a chance to try it myself. As for Sonic prices, you can get their "combo" with a burger, fries, and drink for $5-ish, so that's 2 burgers, 2 fries, and 2 drinks for $10. You're right about the patties though, they're ridiculously thin and you can barely taste anything but grease(I don't get lettuce on my burgers as I despise lettuce). They used to better, but in the past few years they've gotten smaller in both thickness and diameter, and I can say I likely won't be getting a Sonic burger again.

I do agree with that other person though, even if I COULD make a better burger than Nicky D's does for half the price, I'd rather pay the extra money and not HAVE to do the work and deal with the mess. And while I wouldn't pay Nicky D's prices for fast food, I would still rather buy a burger from Whataburger(not Sonic though), generally speaking, than have to make my own.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 1:06am
Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

Jimbo, the thing is, I don't want to make a burger at home! It's messy, and I don't feel like mastering the learning curve to make one that may or may not be better than Five Guys. And then I'm stuck with leftovers because there are only 2 people in my house and we don't eat that much. So it's either burgers for a week or waste and guilt. For me, at least, it's just not worth it. But I'm sure your homemade burgers are good! Big smile
They're probably about like anyone else's I would guess.

But as for how much the trouble is worth, I suppose it depends upon how much you value the money you spend all week working your ass off for.

As for waste... there is this thing called the "freezer", which allows you to store things like unused meat. Anything else like buns for example, I would think that you could "re-purpose" in the form of sandwich bread, or toast them for breakfast in the morning with some butter & jelly, or fry an egg & make a breakfast sammich, etc., etc. And of course, ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles & cheese can be kept indefinitely, so....

I'm not trying to be argumentive here, just answering some of the issues you brought up.

I just *personally* feel that I would rather spend a couple of minutes washing out a skillet & wiping down the stove in order to save 6 or 7 bucks. And the cooking I find that to be kinda fun.

But to each their own, right?

Right!!! Thumbs Up

I will get a couple of rinky-dink little burgers off the dollar menu at Wendy's or McD's on occasion, though.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic