Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gevalia Kaffe - A Cup of Johan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gevalia Kaffe - A Cup of Johan
    Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 8:14pm
Seen 2 commercials with this creep so far, so I'm sure more will follow.  As far as I'm concerned he can take his cup of "Johan" and shove it up his Joh-ass.

Sponsored Links

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 11:19pm

If he gives you coffee, do you get "A little bit of Johan in every cup!" ...?  Shocked

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 5:30am
^Annoying commercial or not, he could be the cream in my coffee anyday :P
trishanurse View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trishanurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 6:00am
He's kind of like Brad Pitt with an accent.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 7:07am
^I don't think so. He doesn't look like an over-rated self-worshipping annoying faeces.
Bena View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 1:58am
Trishanurse, he DOES look like Brad Pitt! I can look at this guy all day, but I hate the sexist tone of the commercials. Like us women are silly creatures who just require a foot rub to shut us the hell up.  I think they are going to get very old, very fast
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 4:02am

American English slang for coffee: "cup of Joe," not "cup of John."

They spend heaven-knows-how-much on these ads and can't get the damn translation right?
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:04pm
This is a trend and I HATE it. Ad agencies are starting to pick up on the idea that if you put a British/Australian or European person as the pitch man, Americans tend to think the item is higher quality. The Pledge people do it, some whole grain cereal does it, it's getting bad.

I haven't seen the ad above, but I have seen the second one and guess what, IT'S ALSO A TREND. The second ad features some extremely frumpy office woman crunching numbers. Enter fake ass Gevalia man with a cup of JOHAN. I honestly can't even follow what he's talking about, it's like my brain just instinctively tunes out. I've trained my brain well against bullsh*t. Something about crunching numbers, getting a coffee break? Then he takes the clip out of her hair so it falls down, trying to make her feel beautiful I guess. I am so sick of this sh*t! The invasion of frumpy women being seduced by hunky pitch men. This ad does it, the "liquid gold" Velveta ad does it, get over it. Are ugly women really falling for this?
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
keyboardplayer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 3:29am
This ad is just plain weird to me. I really don't get it. I guess it's weird enough that it registered on my radar scale.
This is your brain on commercials.
debisis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debisis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:36am
As long as there are plenty of gullible Americans who "novelize" Euro/English internationals, you will continue to see stupid annoying commercials of unattractive, pastey Euro, dainty, non red blooded goobers in commercials like the Gevalia (icky poo) guy. Dude looks he needs a shower and a hair cut. He barely looks like a dude at that. Also, he needs a more masculine nose.
 No I am NOT black or brown skin or Asian.
 I've worked in the yachting industry in South Florida, and there are lots of people like that in the yachting industry, illegally gainfully employed and many who discriminate against hiring American crew...and just as unattractive (among lots I have to say...). But blame the American yacht owners and other American idiots who not only condone this kind of illegal hiring, they prefer it - as if they DO NOT realize Britishy peeps have learned the art of  smooging and blowing smoke up gullible rich Americans including naive American yacht crew/candidates...all without much quality in service, "talent" or personality. That's how dumb Americans have become. Prettyt, pretty sad.

So, it's Americans who cause stuff like this...why do you we think we have more and more stupid Britishy, Aussie...Kiwi..now South African voice over commercials as if to exude "quality" products/services....or British idiots like Ramsey (vomit) or Piers Morgan in the mix. Just gross....and well, did I mention sad?
debisis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debisis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:44am
why does some ugly douche bag have to call women ugly for having ugly taste in a Northern European ugly guy in a stupid, ugly commericial? that's just stupid. You must be ugly btw. Big smile
TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Dr. Dan Dr. Dan wrote:

They spend heaven-knows-how-much on these ads and can't get the damn translation right?

The translation is lost on Americans because we say "Cup of Joe" not "cup of Yo"

In order to get it correct, the guy should've said, "Cup of Joe-han." But, since that sounds stupid, they stuck with "Johan."

I haven't seem this commercial in a while. Perhaps they pulled it because they realized they got the translation wrong and we Americans weren't getting the joke.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Dr. Dan Dr. Dan wrote:

Maybe the translation is right.  Ever tried European coffee?  From what I've heard, it tastes like it was dipped out of a toilet.  A "cup of john", indeed....  LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 5:05am
Reminds me of a joke Bill Maher made on his old Politically Incorrect show a few years ago.

Some of you may remember the story about a guy who got caught on security camera urinating into the coffee pot in the breakroom where he worked. Made all the headlines.

Anyway, on the next PI show, Maher quipped..."Brings a whole new meaning to the term 'Havin a cup of Joe.'"

I still get a chuckle out of that one.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 6:03am
Johan would be a really good pro-wrestling manager. He's got the arrogant cocky douche act down pat, even talks about himself in the 3rd person. Seriously, put him with a good wrestler who can't cut a promo and you got a winner!
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 6:20am
In the commercial, he needs a shave and a haircut...in real life, his name is Jon Prescott, he's from California and he's GORGEOUS! Wink  Haven't been able to discern from the internet yet whether he's gay or not..seems he is AND isn't...LOL   But at any rate, he's one of the best-looking guys I've ever seen.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:01pm
One positive thing I can say I've gotten out of this ad is that at least now I know how to correctly pronounce the name of the stuff, if I ever need to.

I was never sure if the G was hard or soft.

Now I know.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 8:08pm
There is nothing even remotely attractive about this a**hole.  Don't know why they are using him.  I've seen a whole lot more attractive commercial actors than this.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
BadAd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 11:17pm
The whole commercial, from the laughable hair-sprayed dude to the stereotype of simpering romance novel fans, is like fingernails down a blackboard to me. 
BadAd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 11:19pm
I may not be ugly,. but I sure as hell am not falling for it. The whole campaign is insulting. I would go out of my way to NOT buy that coffee.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 1:23am

The one they're showing now, reminds me of an episode of Two and a Half Men, in which Charlie charms a group of angry feminist women gathered at Judith's house to discuss the evil bachelor, to the point where he soon has them all drinking wine and singing Buffalo Gals on the beachfront deck of his Malibu home.

HatyMcHater View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatyMcHater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 2:48am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The one they're showing now, reminds me of an episode of Two and a Half Men, in which Charlie charms a group of angry feminist women gathered at Judith's house to discuss the evil bachelor, to the point where he soon has them all drinking wine and singing Buffalo Gals on the beachfront deck of his Malibu home.

Yuk. After seeing this ad a few minutes ago, I was not surprised to come here and find it third in the list of threads. I'm sure this dopey company would defend itself by saying that the ad is so exaggerated that consumers would obviously realize they are just kidding, but it has just the opposite effect. What is it with advertisers and their hatred of people who participate in book clubs (who happen to be female)? I know several who do (I should, but I am too lazy) and they are smart people who are like reading and being with other people who do.

I also find the actor cute (I believe he's from the US or Canada and faking the accent--not too well) and love coffee, but I'm not buying this product because cuteness doesn't offset the stupidity of these ads.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 3:23am

^  TV-land is a magical world of smoke and mirrors.

Yup.  He's from California and here he is in real life: 

LiberryGirl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiberryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 4:02pm
I've only seen the second commercial. He looks like a grown-up Draco Malfoy.
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by LiberryGirl LiberryGirl wrote:

I've only seen the second commercial. He looks like a grown-up Draco Malfoy.
In other words, The Epitome of Douchebaggery.  Agreed.  The way the guy looks and talks, he reminds me of everything I try to avoid being as a man.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic