Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Super Bowl Commercials :: 2012 Super Bowl Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDorito's: Man's Best Friend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I can't imagine someone keeping a cat or any pet when their spouse or children are allergic to the animal.

Unless you're giving the animal to a good home, don't you think it's kind of unfair to put an older animal in the pound over something that the animal has no control over?  If that's what someone would do if their spouse or kids are allergic, they shouldn't have gotten the animal in the first place.  At least if he never got the animal in the first place, maybe a more responsible person could have, and kept the animal for life.

Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 1:16am
To Jimbo and Thor:

My point is, that although pets are wonderful friends and companions, I cannot put them before my family when it comes to health concerns.

We never owned a cat, as both of our children were allergic.  If we had a cat before they were born, we definitely would have found a place for it.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 2:08am
Well then, you did the right thing by not getting the animal in the first place.

Dear View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 5:18am
I...absolutely loathe this commercial. Every single other commercial I saw last night made me laugh, this one just made me stop buying Doritos. I don't support hateful "humor".
Please, stop saying "Awesome" in commercials! Your actors are not awe-inspiring and neither is your product.
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 5:56am
Yeah, I don't like this.
Why is it considered socially acceptable for a dog to kill cats?
I could imagine the outcry if there was a commercial featuring a tiger spitting up the bones of a dog.
The death of a family pet is not something that I find humorous, especially violent death.
I consider my pets a part of the family.
Besides, a dog killing a cat is a behavioral problem with the dog. Sooner or later, their hunting instincts will become stronger and they'll be going for larger prey - like the mailman.
How will you get out of that lawsuit?
I think it would take more than a bag of Doritos.
This ad portrays pet cats as disposable, and I can't stand that.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 6:18am
Amen, Zach.

And to make matters worse, the fat head who made the ad won a million bucks because it was voted by the viewers to be the #1 favorite SB ad.

All the papers & news sites are describing it as hilarious.

Just shows what a bunch of ignorant jerks we are becoming.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 1:42pm
THIS was the "#1" ad?? Cry

Not that I'm entirely surprised- the market share is the exact mindset that would love this kind of humor. UGH. Reminds me why I distance myself from the whole SB pseudo-holiday. Ouch
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 3:24pm
Yeah.

All in all, it's become entertainment for knuckle-draggers.

And I say that as someone who grew up watching football practically every Sunday well into my 20's & have seen every Super Bowl since 1970.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:41pm
You know the drunk guys who always feel like killing the neighborhood cats were watching this with their laughing buddies. I would not be surprised if many of our cats don't come home.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 11:02pm
The thing with many men not liking/hating cats is all about control--I figured that out years ago.  Some men, I'd say much more than women, can't stand it when they can't control something.  So ladies, make sure you look for those men who at least like cats (whether they own one or not).
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Bennett View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 11:44pm
I'm sure Doritos doesn't advocate killing cats just as I'm sure Hyundai doesn't advocate wild cheetah attacks.

Call me a "knuckle-dragger", but when I was a kid I laughed my ass off watching Spike the dog stuff Tom the cat into a mailbox. Or hitting him over the head then playing him like an accordion. Tom and Jerry, just like this Doritos ad, is simply a reflection of the notion that dogs chase cats.

And next year if Doritos does a follow- up ad with cats getting revenge on the dog, I'll laugh my ass off then as well (that is, so long as Flava-Flav isn't in the commercial).
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 12:09am
And we all know, the mouse always got the upper hand over the cat and dog.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:20am
Originally posted by NJtoTX NJtoTX wrote:

You know the drunk guys who always feel like killing the neighborhood cats were watching this with their laughing buddies. I would not be surprised if many of our cats don't come home.

You hit it on the head there.

That is the underlying sore point with me about how TV shows & ads 'treat" cats.

They might not come right out & say "It's OK to harm cats because they're disposable animals that aren't as good (useful) as dogs.", but that is the subliminal message & you can bet your ass there are droolers who act out on it. If not immediately that day, at some point that subliminal message that has been simmering back in the dark recesses of what they call a "brain" & were reinforced one more time by some idiotic ad or TV show, will bubble up to the surface some day when they are pissed off at something or someone else & some poor, unfortunate cat will be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I just don't see why that is so hard for some people to grasp.

It's not OK to encourage or make light of harming any animal.

Can you imagine of they made a joke out of a dog being eaten by an alligator?

C'mon, man!
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:30am
Did any of you by chance see the video on LOL Cats/I can haz cheezburger website about a month ago?  At some gator farm or something, visitors filmed a stray cat trying to get the chicken that was thrown into the alligator's pen.  At some points the gator was within a foot or so of cat. The people filming it were heard laughing about the cat "fighting" the gator for the chicken meat.  Most posters were madder than heck that the people laughed, didn't seem to care, and didn't do anything to scare the cat off or get it out.  some posters thought that either the cat could run faster than the gator, the gator was "tame" enough it wouldn't go for the cat, didn't realize the cat was starving and was trying to get the chicken.  People can be so cruel...and stupid!
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:51am
demotivational poster GO ON WITHOUT ME
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 2:04am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Did any of you by chance see the video on LOL Cats/I can haz cheezburger website about a month ago?  At some gator farm or something, visitors filmed a stray cat trying to get the chicken that was thrown into the alligator's pen.  At some points the gator was within a foot or so of cat. The people filming it were heard laughing about the cat "fighting" the gator for the chicken meat.  Most posters were madder than heck that the people laughed, didn't seem to care, and didn't do anything to scare the cat off or get it out.  some posters thought that either the cat could run faster than the gator, the gator was "tame" enough it wouldn't go for the cat, didn't realize the cat was starving and was trying to get the chicken.  People can be so cruel...and stupid!

I saw a video on YouTube of a cat taking on a gator, but I didn't know if there was chicken involved.

But still, there were people laughing about it. That gator could've snapped up that cat in one bite if it suddenly had a mind to. Those idiots shouldn't have let the cat anywhere near there.

Yeah, people are jackasses sometimes.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 2:05am
Funny pic, Pa. Smile

C'mon, man!
bluestate69 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluestate69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 9:56am
wow, i never thought of it that way. this commercial is slightly funny, but i did have visual images of blood dripping from that dog's mouth, as he feasted on entrails. however, i do believe animal rights are animal rights. as far as i know, the penalties for abuse of cats, is the same as the laws that protect dogs. i would also disagree a bit on the portrayal of violence against cats as opposed to dogs. in the movie "there's something about mary", there is a lot of dog abuse. in the film "vacation"(the original film from the early 80's), there was a dog dragged behind a car, at 55 miles an hour, for 10 miles. the dog's death was actually a funny part of the movie. the thing both of these films have in common is that both dogs were mean dogs. 
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 4:31pm
 Some men, I'd say much more than women, can't stand it when they can't control something.  So ladies, make sure you look for those men who at least like cats (whether they own one or not).

Definitely, this has a lot to do with why men love dogs. Women understand the sublety better, and are naturally gentler, so that's probably part of it too.

I've been teaching my husband how to read cats' body language; how cats only meow at humans and not at each other (because humans make noise with their mouths so cats try to emulate that!); how the cat is learning to trust him more and more.

It's tremendous, watching him learn how to interact with her better. He's very patient and kind, though at times he wants to be obnoxious ("where is the cat? I want to poke her!" Shocked )
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 4:55pm
^Probably true.  While I never disliked cats, I never really felt compelled to have one.  It took actually living with some to really start to like them.  And when I got some of my own, it was all over.  Now, I'm hooked.

The 75 y/o guy next door is one of the gruffest, surliest (but in a funny way) guys you'd ever know.  But he's in love with his cats.  His son, a metalhead, is the same way.  He actually wants to set up "playdates" with his kitten and my kittens (they're all brothers).  LOL 

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 5:03pm
We always had cats as pets when I was a kid.

We had one dog for awhile, but he was too much work to care for, so we gave him back to the people we got him from.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

We always had cats as pets when I was a kid.

We had one dog for awhile, but he was too much work to care for, so we gave him back to the people we got him from.

We only had some goldfish and a few hamsters.  My mother hated animals. 

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 5:59pm
When I was in jr. high & high school we had 2 cats, both of which I brought home.

My "mistake" was, when I picked out the second one from a litter that the owner had dug a square pit in his backyard & laid a piece of plywood over to keep them in place, I picked another male (which the first one was also), so we were constantly getting up in the middle of the night to break up screaming, fur-flying cat fights.

I can't say that bringing him home was a "mistake" because he was out beloved pet too, but looking back it woulda been better to have had a female living with the male.

I'll have to scan & post some pics of my old kitties sometime.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:39pm
I was hoping these new kittens were females, so I could avoid that.  As it is, the three brothers Mickey, Mal and Killer---never fought.  Not once.

Adsontherun View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adsontherun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

Very true!! Don't know what it is about all the cat-hatred; seems to be "manly" to hate cats. Which drives me crazy.

and I have 4 and 1/2.

4 and...1/2. What? Do you mean a kitten ~
Sometimes the loneliness gets to you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No amount of cheers and claps can make anything better.
*^7^&^^^^@($&(@1(*$@~~~~~~~~
1936!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic