Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doomsday Preppers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doomsday Preppers
    Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:33pm
Nat. Geo. channel is pushing this in tradition of the Extreme Coupon/Hoarding shows.

I may watch the first couple episodes.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:08am
ConfusedI also saw the ad and *almost* posted about it - especially after seeing the hick fatass on the ATV. This commercial reminds me of all the people we didn't ever want to know south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Then again, we can watch the whole friggin' event from way up here in the GWN without the drawl.
Don't come close.
We got survival stuff - lots of it.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:31am
I hadn't heard of this show, but when I first glanced at the thread subject, I thought it said 'Doomsday Peppers'.

That sounds like a lot more fun
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:02pm
I might check it out.  I like reality shows that are actual reality-documentary, rather than the reality shows that have some set-up plot or the ones that are contests.  I like Hoarders, Intervention, My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding and maybe some others, which show slices of life and cultures that I don't otherwise hear much about.  This show might be the kind I like.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 12:08am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

This commercial reminds me of all the people we didn't ever want to know south of the Mason-Dixon Line. 

Why didn't I know this comment was coming.Ermm  Honestly, I don't see this program going too far.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 9:47pm
Caught about an half hour or so of it last night. One couple made their home outta metal shipping containers.Ermm  The show went downhill from there.Thumbs Down
PitLoad413 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 10:24pm
I have nothing against being prepared for the worst. But, these people are the best examples of paranoia I've seen since the aftermath of 9/11. At least this show doesn't stoop down to the level of "Surviving Disaster" or "Worst Case Scenario" with some asshole shouting in your face, or giving you instructions on doing the impossible to cheat death. I wouldn't the least bit shocked our hosts belong to a cult or political fringe group.
Pax Americana View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pax Americana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 4:21am
I wonder if this show is attempting to promote a stereotype of what people who prepare for some sort of disaster must be like.  As if all who think society could be heading to hell in a handbasket, and choose to take precautions, must be right-wing, religious, fat-ass inbred hicks from the deep south... (and I am sure they will manage to get racist in there too at some point).
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Pax Americana Pax Americana wrote:

I wonder if this show is attempting to promote a stereotype of what people who prepare for some sort of disaster must be like.  As if all who think society could be heading to hell in a handbasket, and choose to take precautions, must be right-wing, religious, fat-ass inbred hicks from the deep south... (and I am sure they will manage to get racist in there too at some point).
WinkPretty much to what I was alluding in my initial post - but YOU spelled it out so much more clealy.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 2:05pm

I guess I could use a little paranoia in my life.  I rarely even lock my back doors.  Not that locking 'em will do much good in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

I hadn't heard of this show, but when I first glanced at the thread subject, I thought it said 'Doomsday Peppers'.

That sounds like a lot more fun

I worked with some Jamaican women who grew extremely hot peppers.  A jalapeno would be sweet compared to them.  They claimed they grew even hotter ones back on the island (and I believe them....)

Anyway, I'm well stocked up on cup'o noodles, rice, and tomato soup, so I'm ready for the zombiepocalypse....  LOL
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 12:45am
The only thing that scares me about the people in this show is the nagging thought I have..."what if they're right?".

I'm going to the gun store.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 3:27am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Anyway, I'm well stocked up on cup'o noodles, rice, and tomato soup, so I'm ready for the zombiepocalypse....  LOL

Sorry...I watched the entire two seasons of The Walking Dead on AMC this weekend, and soup and rice just ain't gonna do it.  At the very least, you'll need weapons, ammo and a tankful of gas.

PrepperForSure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepperForSure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 6:47pm
First of all, not if, but WHEN our country is in crisis, and there are people starving because the stores are out of food, ask yourself if you are prepared enough to feed your family and keep them safe from the thousands of people that will be trying to steal your stuff because they were too busy making fun of us "hicks" who DID prepare. The idiots on here that are laughing at "preppers" will be the ones starving and begging us for food and warmth. And you know what I would say to them? I would say, "Sorry about your luck. Us hicks don't share to idiots." If you can read, you need to look up the MANY different crisis that our country is facing. Once you are caught up on the news, then come back and run your mouths.
PrepperForSure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepperForSure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 6:52pm
For all you nitwits who think preppers are spending their life savings to save themselves from zombies, well, you are ignorant. Read the news! We could face economic collapse which WILL cause civil unrest, polar shift, world wide pandemics, natural disasters, etc. These things are inevitable. One or more of these things WILL happen in our future. Don't you want your families to be taken care of? If you have a heart and brain at all, you would. Say what you want, and make childish remarks, but don't come to me wanting help when it does happen.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:54pm
Have you auditioned for the show? Already been on it? Have pictures of your doomsday shelter you could share here?
My grandma told me that they once thought about getting a bomb shelter back in the 60's. Said WTF,
(she didn't really say WTF, I added that in) if a bomb fell, we might as well all go. Used the money for a room addition instead.
Thinking back, I'm not certain a bomb shelter would've added or retracted from the price when they sold the home. 
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 12:20am
Stupid show, won't watch it, but I do get a chuckle out of the "large" woman who says something about how she'll be fine after a while underground (because she is fat), and she's laughing about it.  I also wonder about the man with the dog and the person with the goats.  I assume they are all planning to go together--kind of like an ark bunker.Tongue
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 2:59am
Originally posted by PrepperForSure PrepperForSure wrote:

For all you nitwits who think preppers are spending their life savings to save themselves from zombies, well, you are ignorant. Read the news! We could face economic collapse which WILL cause civil unrest, polar shift, world wide pandemics, natural disasters, etc. These things are inevitable. One or more of these things WILL happen in our future. Don't you want your families to be taken care of? If you have a heart and brain at all, you would. Say what you want, and make childish remarks, but don't come to me wanting help when it does happen.
medication is your ally, my reactionary friend.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 11:54pm
Hey, I'm as pessimistic as they come, but I'm not sure this is the answer.

How sad to make your family put on HazMat suits and masks, and make them drill over and over. Rather than prepping for a possible doomsday scenario on a regular basis, why not just do it once, keep some stuff in a secret underground room, and not revel in glee at your stash??

I don't watch the show- just catch bits and pieces- but my impression is that these people cannot wait for a nuclear war/flu pandemic/off-the-chart earthquake/Y2K.

Kinda like ultra-religious people who are smug in their knowledge that the Rapture is coming and they will float into a welcoming heaven while the rest of us burn, burn, BURN!!!Evil Smile

My mother-in-law had asked my husband if he was ready with a survival kit for Y2K, and he just laughed at her. I bet they had a fun New Year's Eve party at their house LOL
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 10:31pm
And where/how are they getting all those weapons? It wasn't too long ago when people, the media and the government frowned upon these people. Remember Waco and Ruby Ridge. 
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 8:39pm

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 9:45pm
Author of "How to Survive 2012" and eight other books about a catastrophe destined to occur this year, Geryl believes that a shift in the Earth's poles is going to result in solar flares, volcanic eruptions and earthquakes that will throw the world into a nuclear meltdown. The dreaded event will occur on December 21, when the Mayan calendar allegedly ends, he said.
Dammit. Guess there's no need to decorate for Christmas this year.Confused
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 9:56pm
Eh, decorate anyway.  Maybe Santa's elfin magic will prevent the shift in the earth's poles.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic