Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hyundai "Feliz Navidad"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOT Tu-134 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hyundai "Feliz Navidad"
    Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:37pm

I honestly don't know about you all, but the way that little girl sings makes me twitch like crazy. It starts out nicely enough, but once you get to around the 15 second mark, it goes from a nice Father Daughter Duet to something that makes you scream because of the high pitch she screamed in those parts. In the end of that commercial when she screams "HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!", caused me to really twitch and moan at how unbearable it was, and this is coming from someone who can sit through a whole Gyorgy Ligeti composition (that's what I get for being such a huge fan of 2001: A Space Odyessy.)
Sponsored Links

Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:43pm
Because all children love to sit with dad and sing holiday songs in the tree lot. It's a hip new tradition. And they don't sing the same-old; they sing ethnic pop.
LOT Tu-134 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOT Tu-134 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

Because all children love to sit with dad and sing holiday songs in the tree lot. It's a hip new tradition. And they don't sing the same-old; they sing ethnic pop.

Wow, I didn't notice the tree lot until you pointed it out, of course, I really couldn't notice the tree lot simply because because I was too busy screaming for the squeak to go away.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:52pm
Apparently, this father-daughter team is some sorta Youtube sensation.  They've even appeared on the Ellen Degeneres Show.  I dunno why.  I don't find them obnoxious---just nothing special. 

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 8:17pm
I'm cringing, the girl cannot sing, dammit she's not using her diaphragm!!!!!Angry 
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 11:37pm
At least it's short. And more tolerable than last year's Pomplamoose.
Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:24am
Pompla-Who?LOL
This is basically the same type of cheap-ass music video format Hyundai used last year, only without 'La Moose of Pomp'.
This means, either they are now too big for Hyundai, or too obscure.
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:29am
Yeeesh, maybe they are better than the child-people Pomplamoose, but not by much. Luckily I haven't (yet) seen the dad/daughter duet on TV, maybe b/c I don't watch children's programming.
HatyMcHater View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatyMcHater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 1:21am
Whenever I run into ads with awful singing like this (see also the Truvia and Citi ads) I have to go to YouTube to get some Ben Orr (late of The Cars) therapy. RIP, Benny, a truly great singer (and sweetheart of a guy). Pretty soon, I have forgotten all about how annoying these talentless schmucks are.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I'm cringing, the girl cannot sing, dammit she's not using her diaphragm!!!!!Angry 

Come on Ad, she's only about 6 years old! Wink
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 3:14am
I am way beyond tired of all this Christmas caterwauling, and it's just begun. We've got over half a month left to listen to this insufferable sh*t. Constant, shoved in your face, you can't avoid it entirely unless you want to avoid every form of media known to man. It's on the radio, television, even the internet. I am thoroughly disillusioned.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Come on Ad, she's only about 6 years old! Wink

They do start young these days.  Singing, I mean.  Wink

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:52pm
Another holiday season, another holiday classic butchered by Hyundai. Thumbs Down
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 3:08pm
I mentioned about this commercial here, but yeah this is tone-deaf!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
EventHorizon View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EventHorizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 5:06pm
Why didn't the guy re-string the guitar so it would be left-handed?  It's gotta be weird being left-handed and playing a right-handed guitar.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by EventHorizon EventHorizon wrote:

Why didn't the guy re-string the guitar so it would be left-handed?  It's gotta be weird being left-handed and playing a right-handed guitar.

Hmmm...I don't play the guitar, so I'm wondering what difference it would make.  I guess I'd have to know why the strings are placed in the order they're placed in, to begin with.  Is it easier to play one way than the other?  Is ergonomics involved?  It seems like maybe it was just a random decision to place them in the position they're now conventionally placed in.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by EventHorizon EventHorizon wrote:

Hmmm...I don't play the guitar, so I'm wondering what difference it would make.  I guess I'd have to know why the strings are placed in the order they're placed in, to begin with.  Is it easier to play one way than the other?  Is ergonomics involved?  It seems like maybe it was just a random decision to place them in the position they're now conventionally placed in.

When you're holding the guitar and looking down at it, the order of strings is typically low to high pitch-wise (E A D G B E).  This guy has a right handed guitar and is the strings would be in conventional order if he was playing it right handed, but he's playing it left handed and the strings are in reverse order (E B G D A E).  You can tell by the thickness of the strings .. the thicker strings should be up top but they're at the bottom.

Hendrix did the same thing as far as playing right handed guitars left handed, but he restrung the strings to where the low E string was first for the conventional string order.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 6:01pm

Yeah, I see that they're backwards.  But could it be that that's simply how he learned to play the guitar?  That is, is there anything inherently better about the E A D G B E order?

The only thing I can think of, is that maybe it's easier for an instructor to teach him when the strings are in the conventional order.  But a lotta people are self-taught.  Maybe "backwards" is simply how this guy taught himself.

Seems Dick Dale plays the same way. 

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 6:06pm
I'm left handed, but I've actually never understood this idea myself. I think the left-handed guitar would make more sense for a right-handed person. Yes, with a normal guitar, you're strumming with your right hand, but the actual complex part is done with the left hand. Maybe it's because we opted for a cheap normal guitar when I started playing, but I've always felt that my left hand gets more of a 'workout' than my right hand.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:29pm

Seems Dick Dale plays the same way. 

Yeah he does. That's a left handed guitar too, unlike the commercial dude's.  I can't say for sure if it's advantageous to play conventionally or not, but it is more prudent as far as teaching or being taught goes, and for reading tabs (though if you can learn stuff by ear this one's a moot point).

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

I'm left handed, but I've actually never understood this idea myself. I think the left-handed guitar would make more sense for a right-handed person. Yes, with a normal guitar, you're strumming with your right hand, but the actual complex part is done with the left hand. Maybe it's because we opted for a cheap normal guitar when I started playing, but I've always felt that my left hand gets more of a 'workout' than my right hand.

Same here.  When I got my first guitar I was insistent on getting a left handed one (since up until then I played air guitar left handed LOL), but either none were in stock or the price was too high so I settled on a right handed Fender Strat.  And you're right, especially when playing lead guitar your left hand is busier.  I'm not very adept at fingerpicking, which may be attributed to being a southpaw, but other than that I don't think the learning curve was any steeper than it would've been learning to play left handed.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Same here.  When I got my first guitar I was insistent on getting a left handed one (since up until then I played air guitar left handed LOL)...

I'm right-handed and have always played air guitar that way.  I've tried playing left-handed but it just never sounds as good.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 8:26pm

Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Same here.  When I got my first guitar I was insistent on getting a left handed one (since up until then I played air guitar left handed LOL)...

I'm right-handed and have always played air guitar that way.  I've tried playing left-handed but it just never sounds as good.

LOL

charm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 11:16pm
Well, I really hate to criticize this commercial because the little girl is cute and talented, but OMG, I hate it!  She seems way too full of herself and even tho she isn't a bad singer is NOT as cute and talented as she seems to think!  Those facial expressions completely nauseate me!!!

Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 1:24am
The reason this commercial bothers me so much is because it's high-pitched and LOUD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic