Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Samsung Galaxy Phone Hates on iPhone Owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samsung Galaxy Phone Hates on iPhone Owners
    Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 5:28am
As a new iPhone owner, I HATE attack ads by other companies trying to bring it down. This one features what we can only assume are Apple loyalists waiting in line for the next new iPhone. We see completely SMUG, annoying, know it all Galaxy owners basically showing off how much better their phones are to the people waiting in line, painting them as sorry losers. Yep, that's the way to pander to your potential customers, hate on them and show them how "wrong" they are for waiting in line and how stupid they are for not having a slightly bigger screen. I know I know, the Samsung ad people will croon "we aren't targeting iPhone owners na-na-na". I know what you're doing, your trying to get the existing iPhone haters on your side. "Look guys we hate iPhone too come buy our Galaxy S2 despite the Galaxy S having sh*tty reviews!" The segment of the market that vehemently hates iPhones THAT much are probably not going to buy this phone just for that ad.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Sponsored Links

Oldiesmann View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldiesmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 5:45am
Maybe it's because Apple spent lots of time and money telling people what they didn't have because they didn't have an iPhone, regardless of whether the same or similar options were available for other platforms...

I have an Android phone...

I can install Amazon's Kindle app and have an entire bookstore in my pocket. I can also install Barnes & Noble's Nook app and Google's Books app...

There are thousands of apps for Android as well, and at least 3 of the ones shown in that ad are available for Android. In fact, it's quite common for apps to be developed for both Android and iOS these days.

I have Google Music and Amazon MP3 to get access to music, and Google Music will even sync my entire iTunes library to a cloud server so I can access it anywhere at any time as long as I have an internet connection (thereby saving space on my device)

There really isn't an Android equivalent to Game Center, but there are Zynga's "with friends" apps, the OpenFeint and ScoreLoop platforms, as well as assorted other games which support playing with friends.

There's an Android equivalent of Airplay called AirSync.

Also, the Galaxy S II just won "Phone of the Year" over iPhone...
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
Cincinnati, Ohio
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 5:52am
Dead...you can have either one. Enjoy.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 5:52am
I'm not here to debate apple vs everyone else. Attack ads IN GENERAL are just stupid, instead of hating on other people's phones in a futile effort to win market share they should spend their time showing me why I should choose their device. I like Samsung, all my TVs are Samsung. I won't be buying a Samsung phone now, you can't hate on someone then expect them to pick you.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I'm not here to debate apple vs everyone else. Attack ads IN GENERAL are just stupid, instead of hating on other people's phones in a futile effort to win market share they should spend their time showing me why I should choose their device. I like Samsung, all my TVs are Samsung. I won't be buying a Samsung phone now, you can't hate on someone then expect them to pick you.

Yeah.  If you want to figure out which of two products to buy, you wouldn't want to rely on what one company says about the other company's product.  I'd hope that, by now, people know enough to go on-line and look at reviews.

neoyamaneko View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoyamaneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 9:54pm
And you didn't come off  as a "completely SMUG, annoying, know it all" with the OP at all. Unhappy
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Attack ads IN GENERAL are just stupid, instead of hating on other people's phones in a futile effort to win market share they should spend their time showing me why I should choose their device.
Politics is the same way. I cannot understand people waiting in a line for any kind of phone. It's a friggin' phone.
Dear View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 11:48pm
I don't understand waiting in line for a phone, either. They'll get more in stock, then you can come in a month later and just buy it. Confused I could care less about the phone competition, but I resent i-anything. I caved and bought an ipod a year ago and it's had nothing but problems. I can't even imagine what their phone is like. I don't think Galaxy is any better, but I do like Samsung brand for electronics.

But what do I know, I don't even own a cell phone, not even a prepaid one from a department store. I might get a Droid someday because...well, I just like it. I also enjoy their commercials because they just tell you like it is. "Hey. This is our phone and this is why you would want to buy it." no trash talking.
Please, stop saying "Awesome" in commercials! Your actors are not awe-inspiring and neither is your product.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 12:16am
Exactly. Trash talking = I have nothing good to say about my product, let me try to bring down yours instead.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 3:45am
I would have preferred this if it were someone showing off a NORMAL phone, while the other idiots wait constantly to upgrade to the newest smart phone, constantly wipe finger smudges from the screen, and try to figure out how the bloody hell they make a call on that bizarre weird-looking thing.

"upgrading again? Aww, well, my good ol' phone does all the basic stuff, it's easy to use, and I don't have to clean it every 30 seconds; but I guess you enjoy that thing, don't you?"

As it is, just just comes off as a cheap tactic.
Tartan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

I would have preferred this if it were someone showing off a NORMAL phone, while the other idiots wait constantly to upgrade to the newest smart phone, constantly wipe finger smudges from the screen, and try to figure out how the bloody hell they make a call on that bizarre weird-looking thing.

"upgrading again? Aww, well, my good ol' phone does all the basic stuff, it's easy to use, and I don't have to clean it every 30 seconds; but I guess you enjoy that thing, don't you?"

Those would be made up problems to put a late-night infomercial to shame. If someone can't figure out how to make a call on a smart phone, I fear for their sanity, and if they have to clean it every 30 seconds, it means they're actively leaking oil from their fingertips and should see a doctor. 

Regardless, the problem with this commercial is I've never, ever seen smugness work in a commercial unless it's done in a light, harmless way. The Mac vs. PC ads were the closest I've seen to pulling it off without being obnoxious (by using a jolly, jokey tone and actually highlighting the pros of owning a Mac), and even those didn't really do it. 

Worse yet, trying to poke fun at the "Apple users are smug assholes" stereotype by portraying Samsung users as smug assholes is plain stupid. Not to mention, if they're trying to make inroads on Apple's market share, mocking the customers they're trying to convert is a horrible idea.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 4:43pm
I think they're trying to target NON apple users. The people on the fence between apple and someone else....by being just as bad as the people they're trying to mock. Samsung fail.

That's just my take as someone in marketing. But if they ARE trying to actively convert apple users by showing them the light, well, they obviously have a lot to learn about targeting their market. Apple users don't take lightly to being mocked.
HatyMcHater View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatyMcHater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Tartan Tartan wrote:

Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

Those would be made up problems to put a late-night infomercial to shame. If someone can't figure out how to make a call on a smart phone, I fear for their sanity, and if they have to clean it every 30 seconds, it means they're actively leaking oil from their fingertips and should see a doctor. 

Regardless, the problem with this commercial is I've never, ever seen smugness work in a commercial unless it's done in a light, harmless way. The Mac vs. PC ads were the closest I've seen to pulling it off without being obnoxious (by using a jolly, jokey tone and actually highlighting the pros of owning a Mac), and even those didn't really do it. 

Worse yet, trying to poke fun at the "Apple users are smug assholes" stereotype by portraying Samsung users as smug assholes is plain stupid. Not to mention, if they're trying to make inroads on Apple's market share, mocking the customers they're trying to convert is a horrible idea.

Well said.

I also suspect that, for every person who chooses a phone based on whether s/he believes other people will think s/he's cool or not, there are at least 10 who choose it based on product characteristics, reliability, price, etc.
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 12:05am
I love this commercial because it makes fun of iPhone sheep the way I like to make fun of them too. :) I have a Samsung Galaxy S. It's the Epic (which they just made a new version of) and I have never had a problem with the original. LOVE that phone. Now, not to include everyone on here...but every person that I know in my day-to-day life who owns an iPhone is a smug douche about it....which is why I will never get one. I just can't bring myself to. There's nothing on the iPhone that my Samsung running on the Android OS can't (that I notice anyway). 
I hate that there is an "i" everything! One of the most annoying trends of the past however many years since the iPod was released. iRobot, iHome....how about iSuck?
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 8:00pm
But this ad makes Samsung owners look like smug douches too. It's like, I'm going to be a smug douche to these smug douches...THAT'LL TEACH THEM! Fight fire with fire and not water? Huh?
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 8:35pm
That's KIND of true. iPhone users (I know) are douchey on their own. Even when you don't give a crap about their iPhones they won't stop talking about them. This girl was a passerby and was induced into douchey-ness when the iPhone sheep questioned her about her phone having 4G..... then she went ahead and schooled them. Douchey? Yes. But (as I write my own alternate ending to the commercial) she would have been fine had they just let her walk by without verbally assaulting her with questions about her new phone. They brought it upon themselves.  LOL

On another note, I would kill to see someone walk by with one of those "phones in a big bag" that they had in the 80's. Wink
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 8:56pm
I have generally found people that act like they are cooler than someone else because of something trivial like what phone brand they bought are kind of insecure.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 11:51pm
LOL if my life ever got so boring to the point of waiting in line for over 12 hours for a stupid phone, just shoot me.

The people in this commercial are the rock bottom of society.
venimdenim View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venimdenim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 2:06am
actually, and unfortunately, the iphone's sales record has shown it's the other way around...aparently, being trendy and fitting in with the hipster crowd is more important than functionality to alot of people.
if you own an iphone, i probably hate you
Malcolm Reynolds View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 7:29pm
iPhone marketing has always been about extreme amounts of elitism.  Frankly it's nice to see them getting called on their assanine behavior.

I'm sorry, when was the last time somebody had to wait in line AT ALL for a non-Apple cell phone!?
"If you make your software idiot proof, nature will make a better idiot."
-Me
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Tartan Tartan wrote:

ConfusedDo you work for Apple, or are you sucking up to them for the chance to beg for a job?
Apple users ARE smug assholes - they are 'pretend techhies that own 'hobby toys''.
~~~
If they were NOT, why wouldn't Apple have LONG AGO found a way into business outside of the publishing arm? NOBODY trusts Apple (for good reason) to be able to integrate into the real business world.
They cannot.
They are not 'business-ready', period. 
Apple indeed started something where all people can believe themselves to be 'functionally technical', but that isn't too much of a 'bad thing', no. Putting your life in the hands of a "smart-phone" is pretty much the same as running around the center of town without any underwear.
Wear underwear.
Use your 'smart phone' wisely; do not let it become an integra part of your life; keep it a commidity.
Wink"Use technology wisely, my friends..." 

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 11:43pm
I like my iPhone.  I am almost 60 years old.  Bite me Pa!  LOL
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 12:03am

Yea, me too, Hooty.

*MY* famblies be coming from the 'far-reaches' (never known each other!).

Did yer folks meet on the iPone?

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 12:21am
Nope, they met in a phone booth.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 12:45am
Y'know, with some flexibility and plenty of elbow grease, you can do some fun things in those payphones.

Though, by the time I'm done sharing those tales, you'll never be able to put any phone near your ear ever again...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic