Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stupid words and/or mispronounced/misused words
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid words and/or mispronounced/misused words

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid words and/or mispronounced/misused words
    Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 11:59pm
Angry

I just read an article where they used the word, adorkable.  I know there will be those of you who think it's "adorkable" but every time I hear that word I nash my teeth. 

I thought the use of the phrase "wait for it...wait for it..." was finally out of style and then this new commercial has a woman saying it.  I wish they would "wait for it" until hell freezes over.

Voila.  This word is not pronounced "wa la."  Even if someone doesn't pronounce it totally correct, that is a "V" not a "W".  It was pronounced perfectly fine until a few years ago and now everybody and their brother uses it, incorrectly.  I wouldn't be surprised if (celebrities & tv personalities in particular) think they are being suave and continental for using a French word but ironically they're not!
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 12:05am
Conversate, instead of converse.
Vunerable, instead of vulnerable.
Promissary, instead of promissory.
Ekcetera, instead of et cetera.

I'm almost embarrassed when foreigners can speak English better than Americans do.  'Cept, of course, when the English do.  They're supposed to.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 12:08am
I'm embarrassed--I am a librarian and I forgot to mention people saying "libary" instead of "library."
But I have been hearing that for about 20 years so I guess I have gotten used to it.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:05am
My pet peeve is people calling espresso "expresso".

It's pronounced ess - presso.

There is no "x" in there anywhere.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:16am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Angry

I just read an article where they used the word, adorkable.  I know there will be those of you who think it's "adorkable" but every time I hear that word I nash my teeth.

Were they talking about the cast of "The Big Bang Theory"? LOL 

Because that's my new word for them!!! LOL

Voila.  This word is not pronounced "wa la."  Even if someone doesn't pronounce it totally correct, that is a "V" not a "W".  It was pronounced perfectly fine until a few years ago and now everybody and their brother uses it, incorrectly.  I wouldn't be surprised if (celebrities & tv personalities in particular) think they are being suave and continental for using a French word but ironically they're not!

Actually, even though the correct pronounciation may require the "v" to be pronounced at the very beginning, there is still a "w" sound in there too, which basically renders the "v" silent, so it really doesn't matter all that much if you pronounce it "vwa-la" or "wa-la".

Some people read the "o" & the "i" backwards & pronounce it "vee - oh - la" or "vi - o - la".

Kelly Bundy even did that once.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:39am
Yes, it is supposed to be pronounced vw at beginning but most just leave out the "v"
And, it seems it is getting so commonly used that way that occasionally you will even hear journalists, politicians, etc. mispronouncing.  Of course, eventually that may become the accepted pronounciation in our language and dictionaries and that means my teeth may be ground into little stubs Cry
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:48am
Awwwwwww....... Cry

Relax.

Have an expresso. LOL

C'mon, man!
orion70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orion70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 2:10am
Chicargo 

It also bugs me that people can't spell marshmallow.  There is no "e" in there. 
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:18am
Originally posted by orion70 orion70 wrote:

Chicargo 

It also bugs me that people can't spell marshmallow.  There is no "e" in there. 

I pronounce Chicago - Shicahgo
I hear people pronounce it - Chickawgo

As far as marshmallow goes:
This might help people remember the spelling.  Like the Reeses cup, but filled with marshmallow instead of peanutbutter.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:26am
Ax instead of Ask

* Astericks instead of Aster-risk

have went instead of have gone

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:30am

Angry

I just read an article where they used the word, adorkable.  I know there will be those of you who think it's "adorkable" but every time I hear that word I nash my teeth.  not!...
LOL!
I simply love it - never have heard it!
Sorry, BW - it takes a literary genius to come up with little things like that...of which may drive others to insanity. 'Speak as Think/Write as Talk' is not always the best expression of intelligence, but is my favorite way to be - and I LOVE 'shortening' what I want to say when I can (especially new expressions!). You've gifted me - Thank You.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 12:12pm
People really say "Libary" above the age of 2?? Huh.. I say "comfortable" like it is spelled, mind you I soften it a bit , speeding up the "fort" part in the middle but "comfterble" just grates on my nerves. On a side note.. more than mispronounced words is misused phrases.. there are the classics like 'couldn't care less' (correct) and such but one just bugs me and mainly because I am hearing it more and more and it is starting to gain acceptance. "Being a third wheel"... that is not the correct term.
It is supposed to be "being a fifth wheel", stemming from "about as useful as a fifth wheel" meaning redundancy and simply not being needed..

I know why it is easy to throw the "third" in there because one pictures two wheels and then a third party is that third wheel, but in reality, used in that context.. three wheels are, on a stability and engineering level, more useful. So your worry of being said "third wheel" is therefore unfounded. I think the old addage, "two is company, three is a crowd" kind of snuck in and melded with "useless as a fifth wheel"

Now we could just say what my Grandma would say.. "As useless as tits on a boar pig".. there is no mistaking what that one means or when it can be used :)

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 2:43pm

I'm embarrassed--I am a librarian and I forgot to mention people saying "libary" instead of "library."
But I have been hearing that for about 20 years so I guess I have gotten used to it.

When I was a young kid, I used to say Book Nobile instead of Book Mobile.
(If anyone thinks a book mobile is reading  Kindle in a car, I will have to hurt you! ) LOL
The artist formerly known as Madawee

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:09pm
The word "ridonkulous/redonkulous" is f**king ridiculous.  And speaking of ridiculous, there's no "e" in the damn thing, just like there's no "a" in definitely.

And how about those "nucular" weapons?  I wonder if they're as powerful as nuclear ones.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:12pm
This one always bugged me:  warsh. As in let me warsh your mouth out with soap for pronouncing wash as warsh.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:50pm
Hey, I don't say warsh, but it sure is common here in SW Ohio....
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 4:22pm
Ugh "Warsh" I am from Washington and a lot of the country folks in the nw pull out the Warshington.. I mean COME ON you LIVE HERE!  I can see when outsiders maybe mess with it. Like when outsiiders pronounce Oregon
"OreGONE"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Hey, I don't say warsh, but it sure is common here in SW Ohio....

That old friend of mine who went to OU was from SE Ohio & pronounced the word "colors" as "collars".

And he said it all the time, as we worked in a Sears paint dept. together.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 5:04pm
I used to hear people pronounce "sandwich" as "sang-gridge".

And of course there's the old "samwich" pronounciation.

C'mon, man!
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 5:08pm
If English is a secondary language, or education was limited, then I am a bit more lenient. Like my wife's grandmother. She was born in Mexico and moved here when she was little. But she was taken out of grade school to take care of her brothers. So she says things different. She barely has an accent and speaks English 90% of the time but she still says, "sangwich" or "walmark" instead of walmart.. etc

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I used to hear people pronounce "sandwich" as "sang-gridge".

And of course there's the old "samwich" pronounciation.

I had a friend who pronounced it SANKT-WITCH, but I had to forgive her.
And yeah, the "sammich"  cutesy crap is old. Very old.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

....just like there's no "a" in definitely.

And how about those "nucular" weapons?  I wonder if they're as powerful as nuclear ones.

there's no "a" in definitely.  I'm the worst offender on that one. Embarrassed  Thanks for pointing that out.
It always looked like it was spelled wrong, but never bothered to check.  LOL

With Nuclear.  I just think Nu-clear.  After one explodes you have a new clear area.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 5:27pm
"Basically" seems to be a bit overused these days.  Basically, you can start any sentence with "basically".  In fact, you basically can basically put the word basically almost anywhere in a sentence.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 6:21pm
"Amazing"  is another word that is way overused. Everything nowadays is amazing. How's that sandwich? AMAZING!  That's an AMAZING sweater. OMG that puppy is AMAZING.

Stop it. All of you!

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

"Basically" seems to be a bit overused these days.  Basically, you can start any sentence with "basically".  In fact, you basically can basically put the word basically almost anywhere in a sentence.

Then there's Basically's younger brother Literally which is also way overused, not to mention unnecessary 95% of the time.

"I swerved and the car LITERALLY went into the ditch!"

Yeah, thanks for specifying it was literal, otherwise I might have thought you were referring to going into the ditch in a figurative context. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic