Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The over icing the drink scam UPDATE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

I used to ask for no ice several years back, and I got frustrated with people giving me ice that I eventually gave up on the no ice request.  I get even more pissed off when I have to pay for refills.

The thing I like about self-serve stations is that I can make up my own mix of sodas.  I've been doing that since I was a kid.

With me, companies actually save some money when I serve myself, well except for the ice part.  When I pour my own drink, I usually water it down, if they have a water dispenser, or preferably if they have a straight unflavored soda water dispenser, I water it down with that.  I can't drink soda straight as it is mixed at the fountain.  Way to sweet for me.  I have to water it down.

Sponsored Links

fourstringdrums View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourstringdrums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 4:45am
My grandmother used to do this to me as a kid. She had an ice maker, and when she'd ask if I wanted a soda and I said yes, she'd put crushed ice in and fill the glass about 90% of the way with it.

Dad! The cable is out again CAN YOU FIXTH THIT!?
a diferent Mark View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a diferent Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

All this talk...and now I want a Slurpee!!

About 15 or 20 years ago, I got a banana flavored Slurpee at a 7-11.  So damned good.  Haven't seen them since.  Everyone seems to want the Coke/Mtn Dew/Mug Root Beer brand-name Slurpees these days.  Nothing ever out of the ordinary.  Oh well---those are good, too.

Anyone ever let a Slurpee melt, and see how little product you actually get?  LOL

I had a Dr. Pepper Slurpee once, it was fantastic.  Haven't seen them since.

Whenever I get a Slurpee, it doesn't last long enough to melt.
Hafk View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hafk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 10:25pm

The thing I like about self-serve stations is that I can make up my own mix of sodas.  I've been doing that since I was a kid.

Back at Disneyworld last year, we did that with the International Pop Fountain. It was amazing.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Hafk Hafk wrote:

Back at Disneyworld last year, we did that with the International Pop Fountain. It was amazing.

I also mix my drinks, it's a lot of fun, some end up tasting bad though.LOLLOLLOLLOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 4:54am
Originally posted by a diferent Mark a diferent Mark wrote:

Whenever I get a Slurpee, it doesn't last long enough to melt.

That annoys me, because I'll get down to the icy stuff and it won't go through the straw easily, so I'll have to stir it a bunch with the straw and wait a while.  Too much work for a little drink.

Originally posted by 8 Track Single 8 Track Single wrote:

With the rising cost of corn (and in particular, HFCS, used to make cola drinks), it won't be long before the fast food industry does away with free refills and limits every customer to one drink sale per visit.

Wow, to think about how much the movie theater relies on corn.  The high fructose corn syrup in the drinks and candies, the popcorn, the nacho chips...

I used to ask for no ice several years back, and I got frustrated with people giving me ice that I eventually gave up on the no ice request.  I get even more pissed off when I have to pay for refills.

Heh heh, when I first started working, I kept forgetting to put ice in the drinks, so the customers would have to remind me.

And now I constantly remind customers which sizes get refills so they don't get mad like you.

Originally posted by Hafk Hafk wrote:

Oh, did you bring your own container or something?  I remember those little disposable cups they give you get almost completely filled with one button push, so it would be hard to do a lot of mixing with those.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 5:02am
Originally posted by Ryan Ferneau Ryan Ferneau wrote:

Originally posted by 8 Track Single 8 Track Single wrote:

With the rising cost of corn (and in particular, HFCS, used to make cola drinks), it won't be long before the fast food industry does away with free refills and limits every customer to one drink sale per visit.

Wow, to think about how much the movie theater relies on corn.  The high fructose corn syrup in the drinks and candies, the popcorn, the nacho chips...

Not to mention the corn ball movies they show!!!!

Ba-da BOOM!!!!

G'nite folks!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 11:17pm
Quote The over icing the drink scam

*twoofer mode*
OMG IT'S A CONSPIRACIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*end twoofer mode*

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
LOLLOLLOLLOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Quote The over icing the drink scam

*twoofer mode*
OMG IT'S A CONSPIRACIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*end twoofer mode*

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
LOLLOLLOLLOL

Today you gotta sensationalize a bit to get attention to your message.  Wink

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 12:31am
The last two times I visited McDonalds, they actually put a normal amount of ice in the drink.  Two completely different towns about 30 miles apart.  Maybe someone got the message.
msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 8:19pm
If its crushed ice, I prefer that they fill up the cup.  Especially if it's root beer.  Yum.  I have noticed that I have been getting either flat soda or the mix wasn't quite right and I have a cup full of brown carbonated water.  Yuck. 
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 8:33pm
At the movies last night I think my hubby and I's drink wins the record for biggest cup with the least amount of soda. The entire cup was filled with ice. We each only got  what felt like a few sips out before the soda was all gone. Biggest waste of 4.50 ever, and this was a SMALL mind you. The small was huge yes, but what does it matter when your only giving us a few squirts of soda. I normally sneak my own drinks in no problem but we were rushing last night and I didn't have time to get a drink to smuggle in.
mutebuttoner View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutebuttoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

And out of all the profits they make on everything, the cost of labor takes the biggest chunk.

Yeah, but they're making more money off of the employees than off anything else. No employees = no product sold. No product sold = no multi-million dollar bonuses for the executives!

Cry

Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

At the movies last night I think my hubby and I's drink wins the record for biggest cup with the least amount of soda. The entire cup was filled with ice. We each only got  what felt like a few sips out before the soda was all gone. Biggest waste of 4.50 ever, and this was a SMALL mind you. The small was huge yes, but what does it matter when your only giving us a few squirts of soda. I normally sneak my own drinks in no problem but we were rushing last night and I didn't have time to get a drink to smuggle in.

That's the problem this time of year. When I used to go to the movies years ago, in the winter, I was able to fit a lot of stuff in my big poofy winter coat. I would go to a supermarket nearby, get a bag of the cheap 50 cent popcorn, another buck and change for a bag of licorice, and a buck for a 20 oz. Coke. Split between a few of us and it would only cost us about a third of what we would have paid at the theater.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Oh, you mean, they decided that was the normal amount?  At first I thought you were saying you made a request for extra extra ice, because some people actually do that.

Originally posted by msdeli msdeli wrote:

I have noticed that I have been getting either flat soda or the mix wasn't quite right and I have a cup full of brown carbonated water.  Yuck. 
sounds like somebody forgot to restock the syrup
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 12:20am
Ok, here is a perfect example of putting too much ice in the drink.  I went to a 99 restaurant today.  Now granted, in this case they do give free refills, but look at how much ice is in this drink.  Only about a quarter of it is available to drink.

Actual drink served at 99 Restaurant ¾ full of ice.

Now like I said, they give free refills here, but if I'm really thirsty, that will be gone in a second, then I have to track the server down again for a refill.  After a couple of times they get annoyed.  One place I just said to the woman, if you put less ice in you won't have to make so many trips. (after asking her 3 different times for a refill)

Buffalo Bill View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffalo Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 12:32am
If you can find any near wherever you're going, QuikTrip is an awesome place to get drinks. Last I checked, you could get a 32 oz. drink for $0.89. That's a f**king steal. Plus, you have a choice of slushies, iced coffee, etc. and it all costs the same depending on the capacity.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 12:43am
I drink seltzer or, if that's not available, club soda.  Everything else, especially with sugar, just makes me thirsty.  It's not always available, but at some do-it-yourself fountains, they have a tab for water and one for "soda," usually the same spout as Sprite.  I always have to taste a little first, to make sure it actually tastes like seltzer (read:  carbonated water) and not Sprite.

Also, at places like Burger King, where they have do-it-yourself refills, I just get the regular (or small) size.  It's funny how few people have figured out that you can buy the less expensive size and refill it for free.

The movie theatres are smarter:  they'll offer to give you a free refill on popcorn, but only if you get the giant size.

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffalo Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 10:21pm
I just save the bag and bring it to the theaters, go into the movie for a while, then go into the rear booth and get a "free refill." Works every time.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 5:11am
Until the bag wears out!  Or unless they're like my theater now and they have some kind of tab they can tear off the bag to show you've already gotten a refill.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 4:08am
I never heard of free refills on popcorn.  Except maybe on the huge size, which I usually can't finish anyway.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 7:22am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I never heard of free refills on popcorn.  Except maybe on the huge size, which I usually can't finish anyway.

Yes, MM.  I said it a few posts up:  "The movie theatres are smarter:  they'll offer to give you a free refill on popcorn, but only if you get the giant size."

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 6:18am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Yes, MM.  I said it a few posts up:  "The movie theatres are smarter:  they'll offer to give you a free refill on popcorn, but only if you get the giant size."

I'm sorry, I forgot to hang on your every word.  LOL

I only read the last couple of post at the end before I posted.  I realize that the post that you said that was like one above where I started reading.  Embarrassed

Vlad The Impaler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 12:29am
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

If I learned anything from my days in food service it's this"" never f**k with someone who prepares your food". They can strike back when you least suspect and are most vulnerable. Just remember just as you think it's funny to give the burger boys a hard time some of them think it's funny to rest their penis on your hamburger. Think about that the next time you feel like going on a power trip at The White Castle.

This is very true. When I worked at a pizza chain during my teen years I saw some sh*t done to pizzas that would make your toes curl. Now whenever I have to complain about food I do it in the most nice, pleasant way possible and STILL check my food for bodily fluids...
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffalo Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 1:06am
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle:

Burger Shack Guy: You guys might have wanted to stay away from our special sauce tonight. Me and Pookie, we added a secret ingredient. I'll give you a hint. It's semen.
Harold: [Smirks] Semen.
Burger Shack Guy: Animal semen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic